The Star: Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle takes jab at Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak

officialmark*

64e6e3a932.png

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm not telling him what to change, like you I am criticizing results.

- Doesn't play defence.
- Doesn't forecheck.
- Avoids puck battles.
- Doesn't go into corners.
- Hunched over the bench at the end of every shift.

and most importantly...

- Stopped playing after the olympic break because he along with the rest of the team are not in peak physical condition.

We have 99% of hockey insiders saying Kessel is not in game shape. We even have a coach that said he was 15 pounds overweight.

The one thing I think everyone can agree on is that if Kessel is in peak physical conditioning (Some say he is, some say he isn't) is that we can't win with a player that starts to slide at 82 games. Doughty played 22-25 minutes a night in the West for 120+ games last season. That is what it takes to win a cup. If Kessel starts to slow down around 82 which he has for the past 3 collapses then I think it should be the end of the Kessel era. Granted I think he is just lazy, and if he does actually try he would be able to play a full 120 game season/playoffs.

Drew Doughty is the last person we should be using as reference if the medical experts on here are to be believed. Does not look anywhere near physical condition.

Personally, I think Kessel's issues are in his head. When things go bad, you can visibly see him trying too hard, trying to do everything himself, trying to be 'the guy' instead of simplifying and getting back to basics. He's his own worse critic and enemy.

That's just my take.

As for playoffs, everything I've seen of his (albeit small) sample size indicates he steps it up like the best of the best.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm not telling him what to change, like you I am criticizing results.

- Doesn't play defence.
- Doesn't forecheck.
- Avoids puck battles.
- Doesn't go into corners.
- Hunched over the bench at the end of every shift.

and most importantly...

- Stopped playing after the olympic break because he along with the rest of the team are not in peak physical condition.

We have 99% of hockey insiders saying Kessel is not in game shape. We even have a coach that said he was 15 pounds overweight.

The one thing I think everyone can agree on is that if Kessel is in peak physical conditioning (Some say he is, some say he isn't) is that we can't win with a player that starts to slide at 82 games. Doughty played 22-25 minutes a night in the West for 120+ games last season. That is what it takes to win a cup. If Kessel starts to slow down around 82 which he has for the past 3 collapses then I think it should be the end of the Kessel era. Granted I think he is just lazy, and if he does actually try he would be able to play a full 120 game season/playoffs.

My issue is Kessel's blindness to what's coming. There is "No Stopping Father Time" and "Rust Never Sleeps" (to steal 2 old quotes) and if Phil Kessel doesn't get himself in shape, the decline will be huge before he is 30.

Last edited by a moderator:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I really love it when people say professional athletes aren't in shape... If they're not in shape dear god I must be close to my death bed..

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I really love it when people say professional athletes aren't in shape... If they're not in shape dear god I must be close to my death bed..

You must be naive if you think that there isn't a difference between what the sports world perceive as an athlete being in shape and what the sports world perceive as a regular joe being in shape.

Having said that, majority of people in today's world wouldn't call kessel "fit" even at a normal persons standard. He's average.

officialmark*

Drew Doughty is the last person we should be using as reference if the medical experts on here are to be believed. Does not look anywhere near physical condition.

Personally, I think Kessel's issues are in his head. When things go bad, you can visibly see him trying too hard, trying to do everything himself, trying to be 'the guy' instead of simplifying and getting back to basics. He's his own worse critic and enemy.

That's just my take.

As for playoffs, everything I've seen of his (albeit small) sample size indicates he steps it up like the best of the best.

doughty-couture-hackett.jpg

Picture may be a little older, but Doughty looks fine to me...

I guess that means Prince Fielder is in good shape because he's a professional athlete.

officialmark*

There's a difference between a guy slouched down wearing a hoodie on a couch, and standing up straight taking a picture in a T-Shirt. I would explain the differences, but I'll let Doughty's accomplishments do that.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

You must be blind if you cant see that double chin.

:laugh:

A double chin is not going to slow you down. I would be willing to bet that Kessel has a body fat percentage at least 50% higher than Doughty.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think my favourite thing about Kessel is that he took all this crap, and then signed an extension with us.

You give me $8M/yr and you can dunk me, head first, into an outhouse.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
There's a difference between a guy slouched down wearing a hoodie on a couch, and standing up straight taking a picture in a T-Shirt. I would explain the differences, but I'll let Doughty's accomplishments do that.

Why not let Kessels accomplishments do the same?

If youre going to use the eyeball test, both are clearly fat.
drew_doughty_2900372.jpg

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
:laugh:

A double chin is not going to slow you down. I would be willing to bet that Kessel has a body fat percentage at least 50% higher than Doughty.
Sure, I accept paypal.

And I wouldn't be so sure about that first sentence. There must be a reason why Doughty is so much slower than Kessel.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
coming in peace to say that there is a video of Kessel on the front page of tsn with the "its game one" tag, and from creeping here so much, it made me more observant of his physique. i watched the video and im give my honest and unbiased peaceful opinion, that he does indeed look pudgy to me. imo far too pudgy. doesnt mean he will not have a successful season however, but i dont remember him looking so round.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

coming in peace to say that there is a video of Kessel on the front page of tsn with the "its game one" tag, and from creeping here so much, it made me more observant of his physique. i watched the video and im give my honest and unbiased peaceful opinion, that he does indeed look pudgy to me. imo far too pudgy. doesnt mean he will not have a successful season however, but i dont remember him looking so round.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Can't fault you for being honest.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
sure you're going to get the odd poster who goes over board but for the most part any slight criticism of Kessel is met by a flurry of attacks

if anyone dares say Kessel plays soft or is weak defensively or isn't in peak physical condition you're attacked like you've gone after one of their family

Kessel is a soft player....there is no denying that. Like Nash who has god given talent....it will catch up to him and then and only then will he commit to working his ass off all summer.

Kessel is a very talented player I do not see anyone denying this....but and it is a big but, he does little to help his team. No letter on his jersey, why is that?

officialmark*

Why not let Kessels accomplishments do the same?

If youre going to use the eyeball test, both are clearly fat.
drew_doughty_2900372.jpg

First of all I wouldn't give a **** if Kessel were 300 pounds if he could constantly put up 40 goals, and 100 points. Kessel was touted as one of the top snipers in the league just a few years ago and he is still yet to put up 40 as a 27 year old. Doughty is a 24 year old x2 gold medal, x2 Stanley Cup, Olympic/NHL All Star, and Norris winner. Doughty needs to be big (not fat) because he plays a 200 foot game, and goes into the dirty areas. There is no need for Kessel to have excess body weight considering all he does is cherry pick , and shoot when he reaches the faceoff circle. You think that has anything to do with the 1st lines Advanced Stats problem?

At the end of the day you're posting pictures of Doughty wearing a hoodie, and suit while calling him fat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad