The Star: Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle takes jab at Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
His line finished a -2 didn't it? Also its not like he was out there on the PK or making big hits to contribute to the team in other ways. If Kessel isn't scoring, hes not really bringing anything else to the team.

You have unrealistic expectations for him which isn't a shock. When was the last time Patty Kane played the PK or went after big hits?

Yet he's worth 10.5M!

Just accept that penalty killing and hitting isn't his game already. He'll never be Eric Lindros.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
oh is that it?,

that's where the 10th highest cap hit in the league ends?

well with that kind of thinking

I am not surprised what little we have managed in the past 6 years.
The majority of Leaf fans are content with mediocrity and thats why Kessel never gets any of the blame for the first line being so poor defensively, or when hes playing poorly. Leaf fans seem to only care about point totals and nothing else.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
The majority of Leaf fans are content with mediocrity and thats why Kessel never gets any of the blame for the first line being so poor defensively, or when hes playing poorly. Leaf fans seem to only care about point totals and nothing else.

Can he improve defensively, sure. But that's not by laying hits or playing the PK. That's not his skillset nor do I think he'll be able to suddenly learn it. To get better as an overall player, he can only do 2 things. Use his speed effectively in the defensive zone, and up his compete level in battles. Once you stop being delusional about him becoming Lindros you'll be alot happier.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Carlyle is trying to see how far he can push before he gets fired. After last season you'd think it'd be not far but he's a feisty one he is.

or maybe

he is in the tim lieweekly mode and is at the "welp time to pull back the curtain, I ain't got nothing to lose, speaking truth to power".

"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything he's no longer in your power -- he's free again".

Solzhenitsyn

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
You have unrealistic expectations for him which isn't a shock. When was the last time Patty Kane played the PK or went after big hits?

Yet he's worth 10.5M!
Hes actually only worth 6.3m this season. All I ask is for Phil Kessel to be on the ice for more goals for than goals against, that shouldnt be a tainting task for an 8m a year player, and as you guys say one of the best in the world. Kane seems to do it year after year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Yet he's worth 10.5M!

Just accept that penalty killing and hitting isn't his game already. He'll never be Eric Lindros.

sorry

Kane can't see what your typing he has both eyes covered wing rings.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Hes actually only worth 6.3m this season. All I ask is for Phil Kessel to be on the ice for more goals for than goals against, that shouldnt be a tainting task for an 8m a year player, and as you guys say one of the best in the world. Kane seems to do it year after year.

I see your game.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Can he improve defensively, sure. But that's not by laying hits or playing the PK. That's not his skillset nor do I think he'll be able to suddenly learn it. To get better as an overall player, he can only do 2 things. Use his speed effectively in the defensive zone, and up his compete level in battles. Once you stop being delusional about him becoming Lindros you'll be alot happier.

I'm not saying he should be Lindros zzzzzzz. I'm simply saying Kessel really only has one way that he can contribute to the team. This is like his 8th year in the NHL and the guy would still rather give up the puck to the other team than to take a hit or get a little physical. Tomorrow night watch how many times Kessel will do a fly by or leave the puck because he doesn't want someone in his bubble. Like the guy barely shows any effort without the puck, its rather pathetic.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I'm not asking Kessel to be Bergeron, I'm not asking him to to hit,block shots or even dig the puck out of the corner. Kessel has scored 30+ goals now for how many years and we stink. We haven't been a playoff team. So what's the answer? Score 40? 50? No use your speed without the puck to take away passing lanes, force players into your D like Polak etc. at 27 now, not 22, maturity. Realize that there is a time to drive for goals and a time not to. We don't need to win games 5-4. 2-1 is acceptable. Reduce the Goals against you are on for. I'd rather make the playoffs with Kessel scoring 25 than miss them with him scoring 37. Not just Kessel lets be fair. This goes for Bozak,Lupul,JVR etc.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm not asking Kessel to be Bergeron, I'm not asking him to to hit,block shots or even dig the puck out of the corner. Kessel has scored 30+ goals now for how many years and we stink. We haven't been a playoff team. So what's the answer? Score 40? 50? No use your speed without the puck to take away passing lanes, force players into your D like Polak etc. at 27 now, not 22, maturity. Realize that there is a time to drive for goals and a time not to. We don't need to win games 5-4. 2-1 is acceptable. Reduce the Goals against you are on for. I'd rather make the playoffs with Kessel scoring 25 than miss them with him scoring 37. Not just Kessel lets be fair. This goes for Bozak,Lupul,JVR etc.

hell trapper, I'm pulling my expectations even farther back then you

I think we need to go back to the basics here

how about we try this

show up to camp in game shape?

no fat phil? camp is too high of expectations?

ok how about game 1 then ?

oh wait he got a boo boo 5 days before the opener, of course all his pre conditioning went out the window and he played so hurt that he looked totally gasses out there, yet the entire coaching staff road him to 20+ minutes, ummm what?

but relax folks it's only game 1 , we can afford to sluff off some games, look at our track record, have faith in us.:laugh:

Last edited:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The first line deserves criticism for opening night, no doubt. But the fact that has chimed through this thread about the spread in the 1st line TOI vs. the 2nd line is staggering. He's more of a puppet than expected. I guarantee shanny encouraged him calling then out.

well, believe strongly :p

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Ya, Kessel just needs to do that and we're poised for playoff run. LMAO.

Everything is in place boys, just get Kessel to tweak his game a bit and watch out world. :laugh:

Good think there are some intelligent thinkers like you who have zeroed in on our problem. ;)

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Everything is in place boys, just get Kessel to tweak his game a bit and watch out world. :laugh:

Good think there are some intelligent thinkers like you who have zeroed in on our problem. ;)

A positive plus/minus for the Leafs first line would go a long way.

They've never had one, despite above average goaltending (be it Reimer or Bernier in net).

Kessel is a huge part of that considering he dictates the way his line plays.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
A positive plus/minus for the Leafs first line would go a long way.

They've never had one, despite above average goaltending (be it Reimer or Bernier in net).

Kessel is a huge part of that considering he dictates the way his line plays.

But he puts up a PPG, who cares about being a plus player :sarcasm:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is as much about Carlyle showing the strain as it is about anything else.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
But he puts up a PPG, who cares about being a plus player :sarcasm:

Personally I don't know what Boston and LA were thinking when they made their Cup winning rosters..

Not having a single one-dimensional PPG winger getting paid franchise money?

Their top scorers got like 70 points.

Clearly they don't know what they're doing.

They just got lucky winning those Stanley Cups.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Personally I don't know what Boston and LA were thinking when they made their Cup winning rosters..

Not having a single one-dimensional PPG winger getting paid franchise money?

Their top scorers got like 70 points.

Clearly they don't know what they're doing.

They just got lucky winning those Stanley Cups.

Did Chicago get lucky with their two cups as well?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I like Bozo but he's the odd man out to finish that line. trade Phaneuf and bozak for Thornton. Use the extra cash to target a couple 15 ufas like Gonchar for example. Dump the 7 year deal for a short one with Thorton and short contract veteran ufas while our young guys take over

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Yeah you're right forget all that. Let's just keep doing the same thing. Who cares if the line gets scored on 100 times, as long as that line scores 80. Can't argue with your intelligent thinking. It's gotten us to the conference finals, no wait the second round, oops I mean the playoffs, no, that's still not it.

MrLegend28*

so youd obviously not take Ovi who was -35 last yr. :shakehead

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
so youd obviously not take Ovi who was -35 last yr. :shakehead

Go look at Ovie's other seasons :shakehead. That was the first time in all of his career he put up a big minus, unlike Kessel who has been a constant minus his entire career except for one season with Boston.. Also Ovie has other elements to his game other than scoring unlike Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00