The Star: Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle takes jab at Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel isn't perfect. But he is Kessel. And that's not such a bad think once you get past the fact that he's not perfect. :)

That modest expectation has sailed, Burke put him on the mantle, Nonis extended that mantle.

He is the emblem Leafs player of present.

Whether it is fair or not, and I realize kids posting on this site do not remember Keon, Sittler, Clark, Gilmour, Sundin. It is what it is.

He is a far cry as a player from these guys. As a producer he matches up, as a player not even close.

Being in shape or not in shape, or not being a 200 ft player, all fair critiques. This is Toronto, Wendel Clark was once called Wendy Clark, he took that criticism and had the best playoffs next to Gilmour has done in 3 decades.

Wonder if Kessel has this in him?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Kessel isn't perfect. But he is Kessel. And that's not such a bad think once you get past the fact that he's not perfect. :)

you're right he's not perfect so why is it so hard for some of our fan base to admit that ?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

According to the National Post, Phil Kessel responded to Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle's suggestion that Tyler Bozak and himself had not been taking their off-ice training seriously following Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to the Montreal Canadiens.

Phil Kessel said:

“Guys, it’s Game 1,”

“You guys need to relax a bit here. You guys look at our test scores … and then come talk to me and see where we stand.”

“I didn’t feel any rust,”

“It was just one of those games where nothing really went right for us. That’s how it goes some nights.”

It seems as though, Phil Kessel feels that having high test scores in physical fitness testing entitles an injured professional NHL player to take days off and not to show up for treatment and off-ice workouts. Also, Phil Kessel agrees with Carlyle’s comments that Kessel, Bozak and van Riemsdyk need to be better against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night. But he took exception to the notion that he was out of shape.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...d-to-relax-after-comments-about-his-training/

TORONTO — Relax, guys. It’s one game.

That was the message Phil Kessel sent a day after Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle suggested Kessel and Tyler Bozak had not been taking their off-ice training seriously following Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to the Montreal Canadiens.

“When you’re injured, it doesn’t mean you have days off,” Carlyle had said of the two players, who missed the end of training camp with lower-body injuries. “You have injured days, but there is treatment and there are off-ice workouts that are to be adhered. We have to make sure they take [it] seriously.”

While Bozak scored a power play goal in Wednesday’s loss, the top line was on the ice for two Montreal goals.

“Guys, it’s Game 1,” said Kessel. “You guys need to relax a bit here. You guys look at our test scores … and then come talk to me and see where we stand.”

As for Carlyle’s comments that Kessel, Bozak and van Riemsdyk need to be better against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night, Kessel did not disagree. But he took exception to the notion that he was out of shape.

“I didn’t feel any rust,” said Kessel. “It was just one of those games where nothing really went right for us. That’s how it goes some nights.”

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Hey guys,

According to the National Post, Phil Kessel responded to Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle's suggestion that Tyler Bozak and himself had not been taking their off-ice training seriously following Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to the Montreal Canadiens.

Phil Kessel said:

“Guys, it’s Game 1,â€

“You guys need to relax a bit here. You guys look at our test scores … and then come talk to me and see where we stand.â€

“I didn’t feel any rust,â€

“It was just one of those games where nothing really went right for us. That’s how it goes some nights.â€

It seems as though, Phil Kessel feels that having high test scores in physical fitness entitles an injured professional NHL player to take days off and not to show up for treatment and off-ice workouts. Also, Phil Kessel agrees with Carlyle’s comments that Kessel, Bozak and van Riemsdyk need to be better against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night. But he took exception to the notion that he was out of shape.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...d-to-relax-after-comments-about-his-training/

or hes telling people he had a bad game, being human and all, and doesn't feel the need to answer fitness questions to people who have no idea what his fitness level is.

Unless you, or anyone else in this thread, has any solid proof that that Kessel has
A) an attitude problem
B) a fitness problem
Perhaps we should stop with the personal crap?

Did he have a bad game? Yup. It happens.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
you're right he's not perfect so why is it so hard for some of our fan base to admit that ?

Why is it so hard for others to admit that they have absolutely no clue as to Kessel's fitness level or personality?

Why do some feel the need to constantly attack and deride people they know nothing about?

Question his play, his game, sure, go for it.

Regardless, this thread is about yet another clown job article written by Dave Feschuk, there are plenty of other threads about Phil

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
if you ask my mom what I have when im sick, its always the worst case scenario. What my mom doesn't have is a medical degree.

Quote from either Spott or RC saying Kessel isn't?

I agree, Feschuk is an idiot.

Feschuk didn't ask mommy to diagnose the injury he asked her to confirm it .

Burke had a real problem admitting anyone had a concussion on our team and i remember him freaking out at MaCowan about how Grabo didn't get concussed when Chara knocked him out on his feet , he said he just got his bell rung . ( to bad Grabo trolled him by telling the media he believed he suffered a slight concussion on that play )

The quotes have already been posted and could be re posted a thousand times and you'd still come into a thread and pretend you never saw them .

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Feschuk didn't ask mommy to diagnose the injury he asked her to confirm it .

Burke had a real problem admitting anyone had a concussion on our team and i remember him freaking out at MaCowan about how Grabo didn't get concussed when Chara knocked him out on his feet , he said he just got his bell rung . ( to bad Grabo trolled him by telling the media he believed he suffered a slight concussion on that play )

The quotes have already been posted and could be re posted a thousand times and you'd still come into a thread and pretend you never saw them .

I have read the thread and have yet to see a quote from either saying Phil is out of shape. You're saying there is a direct quote from Spott somewhere I'm missing?

As for Reimer, what exact question did her ask her and how?

Are you Feschuk by chance? You seem to have knowledge of his methods and responses that the general public doesn't.

As fo Carlyle, still looking for the quote that says Kessel is out of shape. Perhaps you could refresh our memory? Maybe even just post a link or quote the post here with that quote?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You would seriously characterize the criticism towards Kessel as being that he's "not perfect"? Seriously?

You're not allowed to deflect garbage in this thread. They must be able to say whatever they like without any rebuttal, regardless of how dishonest, misleading, or just downright stupid it is.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You would seriously characterize the criticism towards Kessel as being that he's "not perfect"? Seriously?

sure you're going to get the odd poster who goes over board but for the most part any slight criticism of Kessel is met by a flurry of attacks

if anyone dares say Kessel plays soft or is weak defensively or isn't in peak physical condition you're attacked like you've gone after one of their family

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
sure you're going to get the odd poster who goes over board but for the most part any slight criticism of Kessel is met by a flurry of attacks

if anyone dares say Kessel plays soft or is weak defensively or isn't in peak physical condition you're attacked like you've gone after one of their family

Its the nature of these boards. The same happens if any even remotely positive comment is made about any player that dons the blue and white. The usual suspects come out throwing the usual '1967' garbage as if we have no right to appreciate anything remotely positive from this team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That modest expectation has sailed, Burke put him on the mantle, Nonis extended that mantle.

He is the emblem Leafs player of present.

Whether it is fair or not, and I realize kids posting on this site do not remember Keon, Sittler, Clark, Gilmour, Sundin. It is what it is.

He is a far cry as a player from these guys. As a producer he matches up, as a player not even close.

Being in shape or not in shape, or not being a 200 ft player, all fair critiques. This is Toronto, Wendel Clark was once called Wendy Clark, he took that criticism and had the best playoffs next to Gilmour has done in 3 decades.

Wonder if Kessel has this in him?

funny you list those players, because a guy like sundin got all this same BS criticisms for being soft and lazy at the same age.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
There was no hiding from the truth about Wednesday’s season-opening loss in Leafland: Toronto’s first line was probably its worst line. And certainly the trio of Phil Kessel, Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk will have many more chances at redemption beginning Saturday at home against the Penguins.

With that in mind, it would have been easy for a head coach to toss off the unit’s game-costing ineptitude as a one-off stinker. But as the Maple Leafs reconvened for an off-ice workout on Thursday, it was interesting to note Randy Carlyle wasn’t inclined to be so charitable.

“It’s part of their responsibility to play to a higher level,” said Carlyle of his No. 1 forward combo.

Carlyle was speaking during a media scrum, where it had been pointed out that both Kessel and Bozak missed time at the conclusion of the pre-season with undisclosed lower body injuries. Again, those ailments were the perfect chance for Carlyle to provide his best players with cover. Again, Carlyle wasn’t so amiable.

“There’s things they have to do, and it’s not always on the ice. There’s a program in place with our strength and conditioning guys,” Carlyle said of Kessel and Bozak. “When you’re injured, it doesn’t mean you have days off. You have injured days, but there is treatment and there are off-ice workouts that are to be adhered. We have to make sure they take (it) seriously.”

Perhaps realizing he’d just accused two of his top talents of playing hooky, Carlyle added: “I’m not saying they didn’t take it seriously.”

In the immortal words of Kessel: Good one, Randy. The coach, we’re to understand, was not saying Kessel and Bozak didn’t take their rehab seriously. He simply launched an unprompted rant that strongly suggested they slacked off. But after that rant was unleashed — hey, he wanted to be clear that he wasn’t actually saying his model dressing-room citizens were anything but diligent.

But let’s just assume, for the sake of argument, they weren’t diligent. In that case, could Carlyle truly be surprised by Kessel-related pre-season lassitude when he’s the same coach who, on the first day of training camp, acknowledged there’s a “double standard” in place in Toronto?

Where?

At no point does Carlyle say Kessel is out of shape in that article, and there is no quote from Spott saying he is.

There was a quote from Feschuk that may or may not have come from someone in the room that may or may not have been said tongue in cheek.

I stand by my belief that Feschuk is a joke

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Exactly. What a dumbass.

Overplayed the Kessel line, but underplayed the Kadri line, even though they were rolling.

This I can agree with. The Kadri line should have played much much more, although they did look less effective as they game went on. Kozun looked a little out of place at times (understandable)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Where?

At no point does Carlyle say Kessel is out of shape in that article, and there is no quote from Spott saying he is.

There was a quote from Feschuk that may or may not have come from someone in the room that may or may not have been said tongue in cheek.

I stand by my belief that Feschuk is a joke

Funny how you used the exact words Spott used when he confirmed the story about him saying Kessel was 15 pounds over weight but of course you never saw the Spott interview .

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Funny how you used the exact words Spott used when he confirmed the story about him saying Kessel was 15 pounds over weight but of course you never saw the Spott interview .

He never confirmed he stated Kessel was overweight. He did say that the 'Kessel hates all coaches' was tongue in cheek. I would assume that if he did say this (IF) it was also tongue in cheek, almost mocking toronto's amazing media.

Did you find his quote? Or the part where RC says Kessel is out of shape?

Actually, I thought you were done?

officialmark*

If Usain Bolt took 6 months off from running he would still be one of the best runners in the world. He is born with natural ability. Kessel is the same way. Yeah he may have had good fitness scores, but it doesn't tell you the whole story. All that means is that he is a better natural athlete than most people on the team. You can look at the guy, and see that he got a **** ton of body fat. Are you telling me that if he lost his stomach fat that he wouldn't be a quicker player? Is it possible that without carrying the extra weight he wouldn't be hunched over at the end of every shift?

Nobody is saying he isn't the best player on the Leafs. We know he is. We are saying that if this guy is getting paid 8 million a year he should be putting in a lot more work. He should have the best work ethic on the team, and be a role model for the younger players. We will never win with Kessel as our best player.

officialmark*

He never confirmed he stated Kessel was overweight. He did say that the 'Kessel hates all coaches' was tongue in cheek. I would assume that if he did say this (IF) it was also tongue in cheek, almost mocking toronto's amazing media.

Yes he did say that.

"Spott was complimentary of Kessel, telling his audience that the winger is one of the smartest hockey minds he’s worked with. Spott also marvelled at how Kessel — who Spott estimated during the lecture is “15 pounds overweight†— remains an explosive speedster."

Thanks for just making up facts though, it makes it real easy to see who is full of it.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If Usain Bolt took 6 months off from running he would still be one of the best runners in the world. He is born with natural ability. Kessel is the same way. Yeah he may have had good fitness scores, but it doesn't tell you the whole story. All that means is that he is a better natural athlete than most people on the team. You can look at the guy, and see that he got a **** ton of body fat. Are you telling me that if he lost his stomach fat that he wouldn't be a quicker player? Is it possible that without carrying the extra weight he wouldn't be hunched over at the end of every shift?

Nobody is saying he isn't the best player on the Leafs. We know he is. We are saying that if this guy is getting paid 8 million a year he should be putting in a lot more work. He should have the best work ethic on the team, and be a role model for the younger players. We will never win with Kessel as our best player.

We get what you're saying. The issue is, and always will be that you have no idea what he does or doesn't do. Zero clue. It would be like me criticizing Dave Nonis' scouting practices. Can I criticize the results? Sure, but I have no idea what he actually does, so I couldn't even presume to tell him what to change...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

So it isn't just me who thinks Kessel is out of shape and not doing what is required of a $8M/yr Cap hit??? Shocking!!! :sarcasm:

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yes he did say that.

"Spott was complimentary of Kessel, telling his audience that the winger is one of the smartest hockey minds he’s worked with. Spott also marvelled at how Kessel — who Spott estimated during the lecture is “15 pounds overweight†— remains an explosive speedster."

Thanks for just making up facts though, it makes it real easy to see who is full of it.

"Who Spott estimated is..."

That's a direct quote now?
Where did Spott confirm he stated this? One simple link is all I need...

The whole article was presented as a fact filled criticism of Kessel by his assistant coach, and debunked by those in attendance and said coach as being anything but. You'll have to excuse me for doubting Feschuk's take...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Amen, brother. I am not sure why saying what you (and I) said above is considered blasphemy. Too many fans around here are blind to any constructive Leaf criticism. You are entitled to you opinion and good for you for expressing it. Well said.

officialmark*

We get what you're saying. The issue is, and always will be that you have no idea what he does or doesn't do. Zero clue. It would be like me criticizing Dave Nonis' scouting practices. Can I criticize the results? Sure, but I have no idea what he actually does, so I couldn't even presume to tell him what to change...

I'm not telling him what to change, like you I am criticizing results.

- Doesn't play defence.
- Doesn't forecheck.
- Avoids puck battles.
- Doesn't go into corners.
- Hunched over the bench at the end of every shift.

and most importantly...

- Stopped playing after the olympic break because he along with the rest of the team are not in peak physical condition.

We have 99% of hockey insiders saying Kessel is not in game shape. We even have a coach that said he was 15 pounds overweight.

The one thing I think everyone can agree on is that if Kessel is in peak physical conditioning (Some say he is, some say he isn't) is that we can't win with a player that starts to slide at 82 games. Doughty played 22-25 minutes a night in the West for 120+ games last season. That is what it takes to win a cup. If Kessel starts to slow down around 82 which he has for the past 3 collapses then I think it should be the end of the Kessel era. Granted I think he is just lazy, and if he does actually try he would be able to play a full 120 game season/playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00