Toronto is in a very scary position right now (looking at PPG)

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
MoneyPuck has us at 42.2% odds of making the playoffs. So, it'll be difficult if the compete level continues the way it has been the past couple games.
They need a confidence game to get some swagger. Hopefully it'll happen against the reigning Cup champs on Saturday. Winning a great game against the champs could give them a shot in the arm for the western Canada road trip, followed by games against the Sabres, Rangers, Wings, Hurricanes, Devils, Rangers, and Wild. That could potentially be a great chance to make up some ground. Again, IF they up their compete levels.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The only sensible way of looking at the standings is by PTS% and we are 25th overall. Here's a link:
NHL.com - Stats

How is it possible that you started this thread, PPG is in the thread title and you still go and make this post which shows Toronto ahead of TB (just as an example) when by PPG, TB is 12th and Toronto is 25th?

The reason I don't like to use PTS% exclusively is because the percentage changes with every game (more drastically early in the season).

There are teams now that are playing with a ridicules PTS% that just won't continue that pace all year (Bruins for example), and the opposite is also true.

The way I personally like to look at it is actual points and games in hand, but even with that, noone can tell the future, so noone can know what those games in hand actually turn into.

The only sure fire fact is the Leafs need to go on a very good stretch to get themselves back into the hunt.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The reason I don't like to use PTS% exclusively is because the percentage changes with every game (more drastically early in the season).

There are teams now that are playing with a ridicules PTS% that just won't continue that pace all year (Bruins for example), and the opposite is also true.

The way I personally like to look at it is actual points and games in hand, but even with that, noone can tell the future, so noone can know what those games in hand actually turn into.

The only sure fire fact is the Leafs need to go on a very good stretch to get themselves back into the hunt.

That's a fair point but it's still much better than looking at just points which ignores completely the number of games played. The issue you mention also isn't that big a deal as the fact that it's early in the season also means that the number of games played to look at is small. Say a team has 2 games in hand, it's gonna be worth a bit more than 2 PTS on average so it really doesn't matter much if the team is hot so the formula gives you say 2.8 points instead of 2.2 or whatever. Or maybe the team has injuries and is therefore slumping, the formula give you 2.2 instead of 2.8, still not a huge deal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
MoneyPuck has us at 42.2% odds of making the playoffs. So, it'll be difficult if the compete level continues the way it has been the past couple games.
They need a confidence game to get some swagger. Hopefully it'll happen against the reigning Cup champs on Saturday. Winning a great game against the champs could give them a shot in the arm for the western Canada road trip, followed by games against the Sabres, Rangers, Wings, Hurricanes, Devils, Rangers, and Wild. That could potentially be a great chance to make up some ground. Again, IF they up their compete levels.

Money puck is dumb. I mean it's not dumb but it just follows some formula that's not at all sophisticated to say the least.

Having said that. 42.2% doesn't even sound like a bad estimate at this point, at least not to me.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
96 points was not enough to make the playoffs the last two years. We need 33 wins to get to 96. At this point what is best for the team ?

1. Missing the playoffs and landing a top 8 pick and acquiring assets for your pending UFAs
2. Go for it and either make or miss the playoffs and lose your #1 pick to Carolina and let your UFAs walk for nothing.

IMO option 1 allows us to restock the cupboard. We have lost too many assets by allowing our UFAs to walk (JVR, TyBo, Gards, Hainsey, Leo) for nothing and this might be the best time to take a step back in order to take two forward.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
That's a fair point but it's still much better than looking at just points which ignores completely the number of games played. The issue you mention also isn't that big a deal as the fact that it's early in the season also means that the number of games played to look at is small. Say a team has 2 games in hand, it's gonna be worth a bit more than 2 PTS on average so it really doesn't matter much if the team is hot so the formula gives you say 2.8 points instead of 2.2 or whatever. Or maybe the team has injuries and is therefore slumping, the formula give you 2.2 instead of 2.8, still not a huge deal.

Yeah, basically the main point is (I think we are both pointing at it) don't just handcuff yourself to 1 stat, need to look at all of them objectively.

One stat may make them look good 1 week and bad the next week.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
There is a way to get back in the race and that is by going on a 2 week run of great hockey. I mean winning a ridiculous 80% of the games. Obviously you can't keep up that pace but it's the best way to shake off a crappy start to the season. I just don't know if they have the drive to succeed. It takes very hard and determined work. I don't see a lot of workers on this team.

so there is hope...kinda

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Who cares. The expectations need to be RESET here and fast. We will be lucky to grab the 3rd spot in Atlantic. But we got a chance with Keefe and his systems. The boys are learning how to play straight up against other good teams man on man. Colorado showed us we are out manned on lines 1 and 2 with a 2nd round playoff team. I'd rather play this way and lose to good teams then crappy hockey where we still lose to good teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I thought their compete level was good last night.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
They have an opportunity through the rest of December to get themselves back in the thick of things, and there’s no telling how other teams are going to play, face injuries, etc. It’s certainly not dire yet, and far from impossible. There’s too much talent to count them out yet, but we have to hope that the alarm has gone off, and they don’t hit the snooze button.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Its funny how the expectations for this team is a moving target:

Beginning of year - Cup Contender

15 games later - All Babcocks fault, fire him

Keefe is hired (2 games later) - Keefe is the messiah, 2-0, now we will start rolling

Last 5 games (2-3 record) - Team needs time to adapt to Keefe's system. They are only a few points out of the playoffs, although they are bottom
5-7 in Point%. We can squeak into the playoffs if they play out of their mind hockey, which they havent done in over a calender year.

By all accounts, with people praising this team as the most skilled team ever, they are somehow ok with them having to eke out a playoff spot. The excuses are endless.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Its funny how the expectations for this team is a moving target:

Beginning of year - Cup Contender

15 games later - All Babcocks fault, fire him

Keefe is hired (2 games later) - Keefe is the messiah, 2-0, now we will start rolling

Last 5 games (2-3 record) - Team needs time to adapt to Keefe's system. They are only a few points out of the playoffs, although they are bottom
5-7 in Point%. We can squeak into the playoffs if they play out of their mind hockey, which they havent done in over a calender year.

By all accounts, with people praising this team as the most skilled team ever, they are somehow ok with them having to eke out a playoff spot. The excuses are endless.

I don't think anyone is "ok with them having to eke out a playoff spot"

This is not a Stanley cup contender. Some may be hoping for a ticket to the lottery. I'd rather have that happen than get bounced again in the first round, but with the Leafs luck they'll end up out of the lottery and without a draft pick. (Thank you Dubas)

Unfortunately as fans we can only watch, and if it was my choice Dubas would be fired after the season if they miss the playoffs. I don't see that happening. Shanahan is dug in with Dubas and will likely stick with him until the bitter end. It's a likely scenario that they both get canned after the 2020/2021 season if success doesn't come in some form.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Yup, I heard all summer how this is the "greatest Leaf team of all time". Must of been a bunch of 12 year olds posting that nonsense.

Real hockey people know you cant assemble a bunch of pansies and get the cup.

Look at the best teams in the league. So much balance in their lineups.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think the nail in the coffin is this Saturday for me. if Toronto loses in regulation I'm probably going to stop watching the Leafs and focus my attention solely on the Marlies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad