Toronto is in a very scary position right now (looking at PPG)

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
this team has been over-estimated and over-hyped

expectations have been too high

1/4 into the season and we see that they are a mediocre, middle-of-the-pack team

with all this "big name" talent it doesn't seem to make sense, but 25% into the season, this is what it is

i don't know about anybody else but from the games i've watched so far this year, they are a very boring, lazy bunch of players that are so, so far down the excitement meter on the majority of nights

slowly but surely the bar will be lowered and we'll all be lulled back into the "not this year" frame of mind.

just lay it all out on the table, this team is nowhere near contention - there's still a long road ahead

it becomes much easier to deal with once the denial is put aside and fans are ready to admit the truth

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
this team has been over-estimated and over-hyped

expectations have been too high

1/4 into the season and we see that they are a mediocre, middle-of-the-pack team

with all this "big name" talent it doesn't seem to make sense, but 25% into the season, this is what it is

i don't know about anybody else but from the games i've watched so far this year, they are a very boring, lazy bunch of players that are so, so far down the excitement meter on the majority of nights

slowly but surely the bar will be lowered and we'll all be lulled back into the "not this year" frame of mind.

just lay it all out on the table, this team is nowhere near contention - there's still a long road ahead

it becomes much easier to deal with once the denial is put aside and fans are ready to admit the truth

If we’re giving them 50% of the cap, shouldn’t we give them 50% of the season? :sarcasm:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm more concerned that this is the record after playing 12 home games as opposed to 6 road games.

Very true. The other thing that concerns me is the team makeup and history they have down the stretch. When teams.get heavy our boys haven't faired well.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Very true. The other thing that concerns me is the team makeup and history they have down the stretch. When teams.get heavy our boys haven't faired well.
2016-2017 March (best month): 9-3-2
2017-2018 February 1st to the end of the season: 20-8-2
2018-2019 February: 9-4-2

We've also been highly competitive against 3 heavy, experienced, powerhouse teams in the playoffs.

This "we suck at end of seasons" thing is a complete myth, perpetuated by people cherry-picking part of one season where they dealt with considerable injuries and their backups couldn't win a game for their lives and calling it a trend.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They're currently 2nd in the Division through almost 1/4 of the season and haven't really been playing that well.

IMO, they are just as likely to miss today as they were before the season started.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I made this post to show people the landscape Toronto is in using Points per Game:

D1: Boston - 1.5
D2: Montreal - 1.23
D3: Toronto - 1.22
D4: Tampa - 1.20
D5: Florida - 1.19
D6: Buffalo - 1.17

Montreal has 1gm in hand (if they win will have more points)
Tampa has 3gms in hand (if they win will have more points)
Florida has 2gm in hand (if they win they will have more points)
Buffalo has 1gm in hand (if they win we are tied)

I know this is a big if, but if all teams win their games in hand Toronto isn't in a wildcard position, they will actually be tied with Buffalo in the W3 spot.

I know it is early in the season but a lot of people like to say they are 2nd in the division or they are on pace for X amount of points, but this is the reality of Toronto position right now.

Today (Nov10th) Toronto, Florida and Boston are playing and if Toronto isn't able to scrape out 1-2pts this picture will get a whole lot worse and that is not even taking into account Toronto is going on the road for like 6 weeks
The Atlantic division seems very close, by these numbers the difference between first and last place will be about 5 points. If you look at the standings across the league they all seem to have similar records, I have no idea who's going to make the playoffs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You should see Hutch’s points per game stats. He’s got to go and quickly. Its easy to find a better backup than him. Hes no good

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Hi. Not sure if this is the right doom and gloom thread or not.

Just wondering, is there anything to be said about our record with Freddy in net. Or that in 19 games we've been outscored by more than 1 just 3 times?

I'm just curious if the fact that our main goalie is playing well and that the score is close in most of our games means there are more wins on the way.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The Dubas offseason was a major dud: Barrie, Ceci, no backup goalie again. And we gave up draft picks too. Big fail. At least Kerfoot has been good. That's not even getting into the bad contracts.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The Dubas offseason was a major dud: Barrie, Ceci, no backup goalie again. And we gave up draft picks too. Big fail. At least Kerfoot has been good. That's not even getting into the bad contracts.

Interesting that you don't mention offloading 11 million in Zaitsev (performing much worse than Ceci) and Marleau (awful).

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
out of a playoff spot as of right now, lol
Leafs is holding a WC but all teams that below leafs have game(s) in hand. I will not be surprised that leafs is out of playoff pic after thanksgiving day. Bab is not right coach right now, just look at his DZ break out system and PP system.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
out of a playoff spot as of right now, lol

Hardly surprising, the teams been playing like they don't give a **** for most of the season

You get what you deserve in life, the points situation reflects that

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
I made this post to show people the landscape Toronto is in using Points per Game:

D1: Boston - 1.5
D2: Montreal - 1.23
D3: Toronto - 1.22
D4: Tampa - 1.20
D5: Florida - 1.19
D6: Buffalo - 1.17

Montreal has 1gm in hand (if they win will have more points)
Tampa has 3gms in hand (if they win will have more points)
Florida has 2gm in hand (if they win they will have more points)
Buffalo has 1gm in hand (if they win we are tied)

I know this is a big if, but if all teams win their games in hand Toronto isn't in a wildcard position, they will actually be tied with Buffalo in the W3 spot.

I know it is early in the season but a lot of people like to say they are 2nd in the division or they are on pace for X amount of points, but this is the reality of Toronto position right now.

Today (Nov10th) Toronto, Florida and Boston are playing and if Toronto isn't able to scrape out 1-2pts this picture will get a whole lot worse and that is not even taking into account Toronto is going on the road for like 6 weeks

It's November, bud.

I'm not happy at all but put the razorblade away.

Wait for the New Year. If it's the same, time to have a think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad