Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, and 2 3rds (Big Win for Leafs - TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's statistically unlikely that Campbell would win 6 games and we would miss, but I'm glad both are part of that condition.

Exactly, it was probably one of those last minute haggling deals from Blake where they didn't hang up the phone until they had some sweetener, just in case Leafs get the better of this deal in terms of immediate impact.

If the Leafs make the playoffs, the bump in the pick is the cost of making money post-season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Whatever the quality of shots against that Hutch has faced, he also let in some absolutely horrid goals that an NHL goaltender should stop.

I dont know how anyone can watch him and say hes been fine.

No offense to them but him and Sparks were two of the worst NHL goalies I've seen.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Term is a real concern with him. He's been a 4th liner for a decade, not a lot of guys make it to 1000 games in that role.

Well he's not getting more than a 3 or 4 year deal, which is fine as long as the money is right.

But the problem is that we are not going to use our 4th line enough for Clifford to be worth the money. So unless the plan is for him to play higher, then it's essentially Matt Martin again, and good teams should not be spending 2+ mill on one 4th liner when your entire 4th line shouldn't cost more than 3 mill.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
No offense to them but him and Sparks were two of the worst NHL goalies I've seen.

The real question is, "Who was responsible for Sparks and Hutchinson being there in the first place?" Now everyone is doing cartwheels because Dubas is trying to extricate himself from the mess he created. I, for one, will be happy when he actually does something to improve upon the 105 point team we had 2 years ago. Until then, colour me skeptical.

I yield the rest of my time.

Reactions: Bluelines

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
so itll be a 3rd
clfford wont resign here. we have other forward to pay
cambell wont win 6 games. This would mean that from the 28 games left andersen would play 18 and campbell 10 for this to remotely come close to happening. baring any injuries i see andersen starting at LEAST 20 of the 28 games left.
I think it will be a 2nd. At the least Clifford seems to be happy to come home.
Let's see how he does and how much he wants.
Also I'm not counting us out of the playoffs yet

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Trade makes a lot of sense for a playoff push. Campbell (.900 SV%) has struggled a bit this season, but has still punched above expected on a pretty weak LA team, and is still a massive improvement over Hutchinson. Since he came to LA, he's been much better than .900% as well, which tells me he should succeed in Toronto. He filled in last season when Quick was down, and was very, very good.

Hutchinson was going to (and very well may already have) cost us a playoff spot, along with other factors. I'm a bit afraid that, much like the Babcock firing (which should've been done last spring), it was too little too late, and the team might miss out anyways, but I'm optimistic that we can grab one of the available spots, because I know we are better than the other teams in the race, outside of maybe Carolina.

I also think Clifford > Moore as well. As much as I love Moore, and his story (college signing --> AHL 4th liner --> AHL all-star --> NHL 4th liner) - it a testament to the Leafs' development program - Clifford is a much better play driver, has a more impressive resume, and will make us a better, deeper, more dangerous team. Moore's season was mostly played under Babcock, and marred by injuries, but up until this point it was not impressive at all.

The two picks are the concerning thing to me. I know we have a great development system, and Dubas is a good drafting GM in my opinion in late rounds, but I don't want this to turn into something similar to the Boyle & Plekanec trades, where we give up a good pick for 20ish games that don't turn into any real success.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not sure if its been posted or not in the thread yet ,,but the 3rd is conditional this year ..

The conditions are.

2020 3rd round pick (CBJ)
&
2021 conditional 3rd round pick* (TOR)

*Conditions: The 2021 3rd round pick upgrades to a 2nd round pick if either Kyle Clifford re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the 2019-20 playoffs and Jack Campbell wins 6 regular season games.

I saw some confusing posts talking about losing just a 3rd round pick & Moore. Its Moore plus qty two 3rd round picks at the minimum. It could also turn out to be Moore, a 2nd & a 3rd in the worse case scenario.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Ya, we were in a bad spot from our backup goalie perspective, but I wasn't "whining" about it as you put it. The backup situation is a situation that unfortunately had to be addressed, and that's done now. That's the main benefit of course.

Its not the loss of two 3rd rounds that are a concern. Its the trend of the last few years where we've lost two 1sts, two 2nds, & now two 3rds. Those good, young players on ELC contracts are important in terms of being a contender for a longer period of time.

I hear you and maybe I was a tad flippant with my characterization of your post lol...I do agree we need to keep our picks as the draft is the only way to sustain a contending team...that being said I had no issue losing our first to get rid of Marleau's contract (it sucks but to get someone to take it on we had to make it almost a can't say no kind of deal) as for the 3rds...realistically maybe one of them would have panned out in a bottom 6 kind of role...I can lose that as we are currently stocked and Robertson looks like he's going to be a player (not to mention the Marlies that are ready to move up)

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Look out Boston! Here we come
Definitely sire. Now we got our thug on the line ready to roll and all steady like rocksteady and bebob was back in their days. Clifford will be a big fan favourite in toronto and sell a whole load of jerseys. Making that paper. We already rich as a club, but we still want to be making money. With clifford and campbell, we'll have even a better chance. At the rink too. :clap: This was one of the better moves Dubas has ever made in ice hockey.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So, we’ve added to the cap in this deal, was it Pridham magic or are we eating into Reilly’s IR space? If the latter it all but guarantees another roster move prior to the deadline or Rielly not returning until playoffs at minimum.

ashley34

Nov 11, 2017
Can't believe this is my first post!
One loss and you can see Out Of Town threads lit up around HFboards!
One trade for a backup goalie sends tremors across HFBoards! LOVE IT! The obsession is real and alive!
Boston board is alive again!

MOD Edit: Talking about a banned poster on Leafs board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nobody

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
So, we’ve added to the cap in this deal, was it Pridham magic or are we eating into Reilly’s IR space? If the latter it all but guarantees another roster move prior to the deadline or Rielly not returning until playoffs at minimum.

No.

From capfriendly:

If #Leafs assign G Michael Hutchinson to the minors, the trade will result in the same amount of cap hit coming in as going out. Acquired: Campbell ($675k) and Clifford with 50% retained ($800k) = +$1.475M Traded: Moore ($775k) and if they assign Hutchinson (700k) = -$1.475M

How do u embed those tweets again?

Reactions: The Podium

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Pretty torn on the trade, meaning its probably fair for both clubs.

i) Glad Dubas responded before the TDL, at which point it would be too late and too desperate.
ii) IMO this will amount to a 2nd + 3rd + Moore (young bottom six tweener). That's rich for a UFA enforcer who will want Martin money and a backup who just reclamated his career recently but has still been far from excellent.
ii) I don't like committing money to a back-up with term, even if its only 1.6m. I agree with Dubas' philosophy entering the season that you can get by with <900k goaltending, but I think the guy he committed to (Hutch) was quite clearly not NHL caliber from the jump. We're in such a tight spot that he basically had to do this.
iii) Who knows what the market is like, but in terms of adding depth goaltending and grit, I would have preferred something like Bennett + Gillies (Leafs were tied to the former in rumours).

Clifford coming home is a sweetener. He'll be a fan favourite here and a pretty integral part of the bottom six if this team makes the playoffs. Wish we could re-sign him short-term for cheap, but like I said he'll definitely be looking for his last decent contract on the open market (2+mill).

On a side note - I am a Dubas supporter, but his handling of draft picks has started to worry me. Just off the top of my head, since being appointed GM, he's traded 2x 1st round picks, a 2nd, 2x 3rds, and probably more.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The two picks are the concerning thing to me. I know we have a great development system, and Dubas is a good drafting GM in my opinion in late rounds, but I don't want this to turn into something similar to the Boyle & Plekanec trades, where we give up a good pick for 20ish games that don't turn into any real success.

At least he still got Campbell out of it. Assuming Woll or Scott can sort itself out, we shouldn't need a backup for a while. We'll need to re-sign Andersen, but that's no problem.

It's not the biggest deal in the world. Those two 3rds are likely going to be in the 80's, and this draft is not even that great so we can probably get a similar prospect with our 4ths this year as we would get with a 3rd.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
This isn't a bash on Dubas, but I'm surprised how much he's trading draft picks. He seemed to me like a gm that would be wanting to keep draft picks to keep a strong prospect group.

I'm really stoked to have Clifford though. Hoping him and Muzzin both re-sign in Toronto!
Yeah, it’s about a half surprise eh?
I expect some picks to be recovered with some of the excesses, maybe Ceci/Bracco/Tima, maybe Harpur.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The Kings fans seem to miss them both, I’m going to trust the people that actually watched Cliff and Campbell over anything the trolls are spewing.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

The big difference between Dubas and Lou, it seems Dubas shys away from pending UFAs around the deadline. These deals at least cover the next couple of seasons (in the case of Campbell here)

Reactions: 67Leafs67

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Whatever the quality of shots against that Hutch has faced, he also let in some absolutely horrid goals that an NHL goaltender should stop.

I dont know how anyone can watch him and say hes been fine.

They can't. Anyone trying to deflect off him and blame the D is flat out trolling and most likely hasn't seen a single leafs game with Hutch in net

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The real question is, "Who was responsible for Sparks and Hutchinson being there in the first place?" Now everyone is doing cartwheels because Dubas is trying to extricate himself from the mess he created. I, for one, will be happy when he actually does something to improve upon the 105 point team we had 2 years ago. Until then, colour me skeptical.

I yield the rest of my time.

Bingo, you don't credit someone for crawling out a hole they dug.

We need another 2 quality defensive Dmen that can play between the #3 to #5 slot and another 2 more power forwards, shift disturbers, pressure players that make the game hard for the opponents, like Hyman.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Mar 26, 2010
Well Dubas gave up nothing of value and received nothing of value. This changes nothing. Starter and backup are still going to fail to get the job done.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Were Clifford and muzzin part of the team that steamrolled through the playoffs? Was that 2014?

No, they steamrolled through in 2012 and Muzzin was a healthy scratch then- he didn't get his name on the cup. 2014 was a bunch of game 7's and more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad