Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, and 2 3rds (Big Win for Leafs - TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I mean we are talking about Brock here. Isn't it still where the weak kids go that can't get into UofT or McGill? But we fired our McGill guy.
But get your point I mean a C average high school prez so it is all relative. Hockey is filled with high schoolers at every level. So it is no wonder the pay grades are all f****up with Leafs. But I am sure Dubie will fix his situation over time. and don't tell me about the Ivy leaguers who took basket weaving and got in because of Daddy.

I don't think you did get the point. It was a pointless and unnecessary personal shot, especially when you consider most of the people involved in hockey management have far less education.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
For what it's worth, the Kings' board is generally underwhelmed with the return they got for Clifford and Campbell.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
This is a good deal. Had to happen.
Campbell's numbers are respectable, especially backstopping the Kings. His GA and S% dropped off a bit from last year, but he outplayed his former team in wins this year. And he is a big step up from Hutchinson.
We are deeper in forwards than any other NHL team and trading away Moore for a gritty player like Clifford makes our team better.
And I see this giving our team a psychological boost in the short term.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
was it what i wanted not so much would have preferred to nab miller for less(but i'm assuming he refused to waive ) we needed a goalie and getting a guy like clifford too why not. everyone was clammoring for a guy of his lick. fought all the big heavies in the league great character guy teammates love him.

sure the cost was moore and a few picks but i would much rather do that then sell off kap or aj for a goalie we dont even know will be a starter.. we did that before with bernier tosk and so on i think the only time it has worked out for us is with andy

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Its almost a guaranteed that Campbell hits that mark which will allow them to sign Clifford at no cost.

I'd like to keep Clifford, but it needs to be at the right number. He's making too much now

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Maybe he trusts his scouts to find Gems outside of the 1st round? no sense whining about it...we got an upgrade on Hutchisieve who has the potential if he finds his game to truly challenge Andersen and we added some grit...

Ya, we were in a bad spot from our backup goalie perspective, but I wasn't "whining" about it as you put it. The backup situation is a situation that unfortunately had to be addressed, and that's done now. That's the main benefit of course.

Its not the loss of two 3rd rounds that are a concern. Its the trend of the last few years where we've lost two 1sts, two 2nds, & now two 3rds. Those good, young players on ELC contracts are important in terms of being a contender for a longer period of time.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It was never the goalies, it’s the plethora of high danger chances and how flipping easy it is to play against us really anywhere but especially our d-zone. That’s a much harder fix though so you just blame goalies then you only have to make a trade for one player rather than scrap the whole mess of defensive incompetence which is most of this team.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
AND make the playoffs

so itll be a 3rd
clfford wont resign here. we have other forward to pay
cambell wont win 6 games. This would mean that from the 28 games left andersen would play 18 and campbell 10 for this to remotely come close to happening. baring any injuries i see andersen starting at LEAST 20 of the 28 games left.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Its almost a guaranteed that Campbell hits that mark which will allow them to sign Clifford at no cost.

Well it costs money, and likely too much money, to re-sign Clifford. He's a 4th liner so he shouldn't be getting much money, and some team will likely give him 2-2.5 mill. That's not going to make sense for the Leafs.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Whatever the quality of shots against that Hutch has faced, he also let in some absolutely horrid goals that an NHL goaltender should stop.

I dont know how anyone can watch him and say hes been fine.

It wasn't entirely on him, but you need a save sometimes. The team had no confidence in front of him either.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
clfford wont resign here. we have other forward to pay

Whether Clifford re-signs with Toronto will be up to Clifford, not based on other forwards the Leafs may want to pay. Dubas has been after Clifford for a long time so there is no way Dubas is not going to aggressively try to re-sign Clifford.

Reactions: LeafsRus

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It was never the goalies, it’s the plethora of high danger chances and how flipping easy it is to play against us really anywhere but especially our d-zone. That’s a much harder fix though so you just blame goalies then you only have to make a trade for one player rather than scrap the whole mess of defensive incompetence which is most of this team.

There are literally high-danger stats available online at Naturalstattrick website. You can use them without guessing lol.

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
One concern about Clifford is a concussion history. His style of play means he is prone to reinjury. Michael Ferland, who had similar concussion history has barely played this year in Vancouver after relatively light hits.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

So the Leafs are middle of the pack in expected goals against while Keefe has been the coach yet they are 24th in goals against per game during this time. Since xGA takes into account the percentage of likelihood of a goal depending on shot location, shot type, etc., then yeah, the goalie has actually been a pretty big factor for worse.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Well it costs money, and likely too much money, to re-sign Clifford. He's a 4th liner so he shouldn't be getting much money, and some team will likely give him 2-2.5 mill. That's not going to make sense for the Leafs.

Term is a real concern with him. He's been a 4th liner for a decade, not a lot of guys make it to 1000 games in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad