Toronto/Florida only teams in NHL to not win a playoff series in salary cap era

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We are the most hated fanbase by far. Its hard to laugh along with people. No one takes the piss out of us in good fun, again, its genuine hate. I routinely get roasted in random threads for being a Leaf fan, like it could be entirely off topic but its brought up. Its rarely witty or in good fun, I have no problem laughing at myself if the other guy in the room isn't desperately clinging to any reason to laugh at me.

And that's hfboards.
Look at the number of people who still consider the Leafs choke in Game 7 against the Bruins in 2013 to still be worse than the Golden Knights who also chocked away a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period of a Game 7, along with the fact that unlike Toronto in 2013 they also blew a 3-1 series lead.

Yes I know that 5:00 penalty should have only been a 2:00 minor. However that does still not excuse Vegas for blowing a 3-1 series lead to start with.

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Look at the number of people who still consider the Leafs choke in Game 7 against the Bruins in 2013 to still be worse than the Golden Knights who also chocked away a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period of a Game 7, along with the fact that unlike Toronto in 2013 they also blew a 3-1 series lead.

Yes I know that 5:00 penalty should have only been a 2:00 minor. However that does still not excuse Vegas for blowing a 3-1 series lead to start with.
Yeah but who cares lmao. People only say that stuff cause Vegas doesn't even have any fans. Just roll with the punches a little better, the one guy saying he feels attacked is just way too over dramatic.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I’m projecting a Toronto (2) vs Florida (3) first round next year, so one team will be alllllllll alone if that happens
I'm guessing you put Tampa at 1, therefore I'm wondering if you have the Bruins in wildcard or even making the playoffs next year?

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Ya... You would have to be comfortably in your 20s to have any meaningful memory of the Leafs winning a playoff series.

For the past quarter century, when it comes to "big league" success, Toronto has been a pretty barren hellscape. Outside of the Leafs making a couple of conference finals around the turn of the millennium, and 3-4 years ago when the Jays strung together a couple of good season and the Raptors made a conference final, there hasn't been a lot to get excited about around here.
Those Leaf teams from 99-04 were lots of fun, so much character on those teams and easy to cheer for. This Leaf team has a bit to prove

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
let that be a lesson to the league, unlike our PP and PK, this statistic will remain at 100%

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
As a Toronto native, the Leafs are truly a pathetic franchise. Hate to say that, but it’s true.

At least we are original 6 and have cool uniforms, so there’s that I guess.

Reactions: razor ray

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So cap era started in 05. "Lost" was less than a year old, and Crosby was to start his rookie season. Mariah carey was still topping the charts.

Feels like eons ago.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
...and none have gone to 5CFs either
Lets go by pure playoffs wins.

...and people in this have said that Cup is the only success.
Where's yours in this period?

Things changed dramatically with the introduction of a cap world. Just like how we went from six teams to expansion. The reality is the Toronto Maple Leafs have more in common with the Ottawa Hockey Club in terms of cups and timeline for successes the same way the Oilers have more in common with the Islanders and Flyers.

Edmonton and Calgary both took game 7 to the wire. Vancouver had a good enough team to win in game 7 but collapsed in the final. Ottawa despite all their problems came up against a very good Anahiem team.

Meanwhile the Leafs havent even won a playoff round in the post cap world?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
As a Toronto native, the Leafs are truly a pathetic franchise. Hate to say that, but it’s true.

At least we are original 6 and have cool uniforms, so there’s that I guess.

I respect your candor. Yet for some reason the Toronto media likes to bully the rest of the country and act like everyone and their mother should join them. Oh and then when they dont they try and sew disharmony in cities like Edmonton "wishing" Mcdavid to demand a trade.

Hard to empathize with such a club.

Go raptors go.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
So cap era started in 05. "Lost" was less than a year old, and Crosby was to start his rookie season. Mariah carey was still topping the charts.

Feels like eons ago.

The last time the Leafs won the cup the NHL had only 6 teams the year before in the league.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
No truth here, you guys have a victim complex when you lose.

And Oilers don’t ? Oilers fan HATE the Maple Leafs. Has to do with media, Leafs getting more attention than the Oil post Gretz era, McDavid lottery -Ontario factor and probably numerous other reasons I’m not aware of. Oilers and Leafs fans are more alike than they’ll ever want you to believe.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Even the sabres have won a presidents trophy and been to two east finals in this time ....THE SABRES.....

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Canadian teams have won 28 playoff series since the Leafs last won theirs.

Vancouver: 6
Edmonton: 4
Calgary: 3
Ottawa: 7
Montreal: 6
Winnipeg: 2

Reactions: dukeofjive

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Leafs also didnt have like 45 first overall picks. So there is no comparison.

Great comeback

phenomenal

Current 1st overalls and Top 10 picks in their lineups:

Leafs 2 first overalls
13 players picked in the first round

Edmonton:
1 first overall
8 players picked in the first round

:laugh::lol::biglaugh:

Reactions: Thrasymachus

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Great comeback

phenomenal

Current 1st overalls and Top 10 picks in their lineups:

Leafs 2 first overalls
13 players picked in the first round

Edmonton:
1 first overall
8 players picked in the first round

:laugh::lol::biglaugh:
> Pick 1st overall every year
> Trade them all away except 1*
> Still miss the playoffs

oopsie

*Also I recognize RNH is garbage but he's still on your roster - let's not ignore that OP ;)

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
People talk about the Oilers 1 playoffs in 12 years... but Leafs with no series win in over 16 years ? Hot dam !
Leafs were at the top or near it in revenue generation over that span. That is not to brag, but to point what ownership had their eyes on, rather than Stanley Cups, and what management was up against. GMs were told just to strive for the playoffs. Lottery teams strive for the playoffs. This resulted in the worst possible outcome - toiling away in mediocrity. They would throw away picks in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs, always at the cap limit, and never restocking the team with top draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad