Toronto/Florida only teams in NHL to not win a playoff series in salary cap era

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is it me or do Leafs fans lack the ability to laugh at themselves? I'm trying to put my finger on why they're so unlikeable, and I think that's it. They're either doom and gloom or telling you some ridiculous lie about how good their team is.

Be more like this guy.
Plenty are capable of it, but it's the loudmouths who can't take a joke that gather the most attention. Those guys exist as a tiny portion of any fanbase, but because it's the Leafs and they have such a huge fanbase, even a tiny portion is a large number of individual people.

If you learn to cease paying attention to the problem folks, you'll notice that there's a lot of Leafs fans out there who are really awesome. They just get a little drowned out because 1) aforementioned loudmouth jerks, and 2) folks responding to all Leafs fans as though they're all the same as the aforementioned loudmouth jerks.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
giphy.gif

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Does anyone remember when the season started and the main boards were full of like half a dozen threads regarding the Leafs best in league offense?

Reactions: Snowman

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Does anyone remember when the season started and the main boards were full of like half a dozen threads regarding the Leafs best in league offense?
Oh yea the same ones that said the Flames had an unstoppable offense too!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For the Hockey Mecca that’s pretty sad. They definitely don’t have a problem getting guys to want to play for them. Most Ontario born players grew up leafs fans and probably wouldn’t mind playing so close to home.

Pretty crazy

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For the Hockey Mecca that’s pretty sad. They definitely don’t have a problem getting guys to want to play for them. Most Ontario born players grew up leafs fans and probably wouldn’t mind playing so close to home.

Pretty crazy
I know that's your shot against Tavares but it's not that great as you would think. We have seen other players from Toronto like Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Tyler Seguin and Rick Nash when he was still with Columbus all re-sign with their current teams instead of signing with Toronto as UFA's.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I know that's your shot against Tavares but it's not that great as you would think. We have seen other players from Toronto like Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Tyler Seguin and Rick Nash when he was still with Columbus all re-sign with their current teams instead of signing with Toronto as UFA's.
Not a shot at all it’s the truth. You don’t usually hear players not wanting to go there. Players usually love playing for original 6 teams. The fan base is huge and the organization has money and I’m assuming the best amenities for the Players. It’s surprising at the level of futility the team has shown in all that time.

Their best days are certainly ahead of them with this current young talented core they have but it will take good management.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not a shot at all it’s the truth. You don’t usually hear players not wanting to go there. Players usually love playing for original 6 teams. The fan base is huge and the organization has money and I’m assuming the best amenities for the Players. It’s surprising at the level of futility the team has shown in all that time.

Their best days are certainly ahead of them with this current young talented core they have but it will take good management.
The Leafs have become a better team since Brendan Shanahan was hired as their team President.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I know people love to bash the Leafs and their fans but this bums me out a bit. The "real fans" (of which there are a lot) are pretty humble and chill out here on the west coast.

Thought this was the year they'd break through, and it sucks to lose in seven to the same team back to back years. I think if they'd found a way to lure Doughty instead of Tavares, they would have won that series in 5 and would be staring down Columbus and and a trip to the ECF.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know people love to bash the Leafs and their fans but this bums me out a bit. The "real fans" (of which there are a lot) are pretty humble and chill out here on the west coast.

Thought this was the year they'd break through, and it sucks to lose in seven to the same team back to back years. I think if they'd found a way to lure Doughty instead of Tavares, they would have won that series in 5 and would be staring down Columbus and and a trip to the ECF.
The one thing you forgot is that Doughty would have been a UFA after this season. It was on July 1, 2018 when he signed his 8 year contract extension which does not start until next season. So he was not a UFA at the same time Tavares was.

Reactions: The Pale King

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No finals even since there were six teams. In the 21st century Sens, Canucks oilers and flames have been to the final .... Some even game 7.

...and none have gone to 5CFs either
Lets go by pure playoffs wins.

...and people in this have said that Cup is the only success.
Where's yours in this period?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Florida will win a series next year, lots of good young players and rumoured to be in on Bobrosky and Panarin.

I thought this year was the year for the Maple Leafs, I don't see them as a playoff team next year, tough to win with out defense. They have a couple of ok pieces in Marner and Matthews but they also have a few bad contracts to sort out. And I doubt they have another season with such little injuries moving forward.

ad hominem for 3 years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No President Trophy/equivalent or runner-up finishes either for Toronto since 1967.

I wonder how many NHL teams can match that level of total mediocrity? 52 years of zero success at winning in both the regular and post-seasons.
The President's Trophy has been around since 1986 and only 8 teams have won that and the Stanley Cup in the same season, which is 0.24% of it's 33 teams who have ever won it.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Is it me or do Leafs fans lack the ability to laugh at themselves? I'm trying to put my finger on why they're so unlikeable, and I think that's it. They're either doom and gloom or telling you some ridiculous lie about how good their team is.

Be more like this guy.

They could stop lying and blind hating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad