OT: Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Talk

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Springer got me sprung. I try to spend July unplugged and outside so I have only really started following the team the last month. What a group of talent. Eerily similar to the 15 team in terms of talent except this team is built to last.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think it's safe to say I'm im in love with Springer. A game where the top of the lineup does heavy lifting as Vladdy and Springer really seal the deal here. Even beyond them there's a lot of praise to go around in the weekend drudging of the Sox.

The bottom of the order was massive. Dickerson is a nice surprise to throw in there, (Dickerson - Springer - Hernandez is inherently a nice outfield defensively and offensively) as he came up with some good hits, but the likes of Valera, Espinal, and McGuire are the true heroes. They seemed to zero in on the approach that Tampa has with "let's not look to put the ball in play, but rather make the other teams relievers pitch, see their stuff, and keep the at-bat alive." The at-bats they had from what I saw tonight were killer late in the game to get the top of the order back to the plate, and even then each of them is showing to be a capable hitter. Valera has been clutch, Espinal is a stud, McGuire probably had the best week of his life in a two-way sense, just three guys who played out of their minds to make this work.

Still would like to see some consistency with it but Springer but a different kind of clutch the Jays have lacked for a while tonight. The ability to make a big play late in the game. Hopefully this is a sign for the future that they'll keep mashing despite being down in the dumps early. They've got a very real shot at the postseason now, it just comes down to continuing to beat up on the easy schedule, and making games up when they play teams like the Yankees and A's down the stretch. But man, is this an exciting team rn.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That Jays batting lineup is deep as hell.
Those top 5 bats they have are absurd. The nasty part is where you get down the lineup to Grich, and you have another potential 90 RBI man sitting in the 7/8 hole. That's just insane.

Add that to a pitching rotation that actually has the required arms to compete now; Berrios is a coup, you're getting a top of the rotation pitcher who's going to win a lot of games for Toronto. In the playoffs having the Ryu/Ray/Berrios trio is going to be a difficult task, along with a decent bullpen now... This team could make some noise.

It's a bit early yet, but this looks like a playoff club. Moreso than some of the teams in front of them.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This team has disappointed me too many times since I watched them win the World Series in '92 and '93.
I will hold my enthusiasm in check until they're actually playing baseball in October.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Still a lot of games, but I'm expecting they finish just out of the wildcard. They are going to have to win some important series and smash the lesser competitive teams. It would be a real shame if they miss out with this lineup.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What is the chance that you are cheering two teams that both have a coach that has no business coaching on the SAME year?

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah but Montoyo and Ward?

can you beat that?

Prior to this season, where David Bell's shown to be a fairly good coach, Zac Taylor/David Bell was probably one of the worst all time for a city haha.

If you were like a Flames/Cowboys fan, you'd probably be worse off or like a Anaheim Ducks/Raiders fan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’ve been a Flames, Jays and Jaguars fan my whole life. The chances have been pretty good

jags-fan-wth.gif

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Unreal. Semien muffins it to Vlad who couldn't catch it on a routine play to 1st to end the game. Now we are tied.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Unreal. Semien muffins it to Vlad who couldn't catch it on a routine play to 1st to end the game. Now we are tied.
Bad toss by Semien, he’s been such a rock all year too. Either it’s the relievers letting them down, can’t bring runners in to save their lives or badly timed errors.

Reactions: Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
There's always next year. They should be a fun team to watch if healthy.

That Semien contract is going to be dicey. I honestly would let him go because he is going to want Springer cash. Still have to pay Vlad and Bichette too. It's just too bad about the pitching. Could have made a real run if Nate Pearson didn't go down completely. I mean we signed Kirby Yates who is one of the best closers in baseball and he never played a game for us.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Montoyo is the Geoff Ward of baseball

Imagine winning with that?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto is toast. Can't even get a win out of Ryu? Springer looks hurt again. Please fire Montoyo and his bongo'd brains.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ooooo that was sexy. Down 8-3 come back in the 8th. Bases loaded with 2 out, run walked in, next pitch is a nice big ole grand slam.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wow. Down 8-2 to come back and win 11-10. Character win. If they make the playoffs this was the turning point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad