OT: Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Talk

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
Yeah, after watching I put it on the bats and defense. Teo cost us a run by misplaying that fly ball and then not rushing and Bo's throwing error in the 9th certainly didn't help with it being the first hitter Dolis faced.

I am starting to think it's time to consider Bo at 2B or 3B, his number of errors is hurting this team, he was tied for first in the AL before Sunday's game, and at the halfway marker had the same number as Semien did the entire 2019 season. How much longer can we leave him there actively hurting the team defensively when we have a significantly better defensive option playing immediately to his left?

What you said proving true.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Games like this have been far too frequent for me to get the feeling that the Jays are contenders. They should be splitting against strong teams but sweeping or coming close to it against bad teams. They seem to have a clunker basically in every series, though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Games like this have been far too frequent for me to get the feeling that the Jays are contenders. They should be splitting against strong teams but sweeping or coming close to it against bad teams. They seem to have a clunker basically in every series, though.
In the AL this year, I think we could absolutely still be contenders. We blow 5 fewer games and we're holding the top WC spot.

Reactions: Villella McMeans

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jays won 10-2 today. Ryu looked solid in picking up the win; he had a higher pitch count so he only lasted 5, but his change-up looked much better and he struck out 7. Newcomer Richards made quick work of the O's in the 6th, with a 3-up, 3-down inning of work. Dolis made his second appearance since coming off the DL, he walked 1 and struck out 2 without allowing a run.

8 different Jays had hits. Bo had a HR and 2 singles, Teo had 2 doubles and a single, Vladdy had 3 singles and Biggio had a pair of doubles; they combined for 8 RBI.

Reactions: Villella McMeans

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Jays have reported interest in Nelson Cruz.
Apparently they are planning on just outhitting all their problems. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jays were rained out tonight, the make-up game will be apart of a double-bill on Sept. 11

Also, this is a rumor

My guess is this only makes sense if it's Cruz & Berrios with Hernandez or Gurriel being apart of the return.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And in other news...

Kid had a great year in the Dominican Summer league in 2019, hitting .357 and posting 41 RBI, a massive improvement over his 17yo season

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Jays were rained out tonight, the make-up game will be apart of a double-bill on Sept. 11

Also, this is a rumor

My guess is this only makes sense if it's Cruz & Berrios with Hernandez or Gurriel being apart of the return.

I can't see Herandez/Gurriel being part of any Cruz return unless things are massively expanded beyond even Berrios. Getting a starter isn't worth trading the all-star OFer that's a top 5 batter on the team or one of the guys that is locked in long-term on the cheap. Gurriel is easier to part with but Hernandez? That'd just be very hard to swallow.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't see Herandez/Gurriel being part of any Cruz return unless things are massively expanded beyond even Berrios. Getting a starter isn't worth trading the all-star OFer that's a top 5 batter on the team or one of the guys that is locked in long-term on the cheap. Gurriel is easier to part with but Hernandez? That'd just be very hard to swallow.
I feel like you have no idea who Berrios is or what he brings. Berrios is a #2 starter at absolute worst and an ace on many teams. A 2x all-star in his own-right. He's just entering his prime and he's still under team control next year and with his contract expiring after this year is in a prime position to sign to a long-term extension and solidify our rotation for years to come. On top of that Berrios is a ground ball pitcher which is perfect for the hitter friendly Rogers Centre. If he had been with a team like LA, rather than the Twins, he'd be looked at in the same light as Ryu was when he signed him. Trading Hernandez for Berrios is an easy yes, trading from a strength to add an ace is a no-brainer.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I feel like you have no idea who Berrios is or what he brings. Berrios is a #2 starter at absolute worst and an ace on many teams. A 2x all-star in his own-right. He's just entering his prime and he's still under team control next year and with his contract expiring after this year is in a prime position to sign to a long-term extension and solidify our rotation for years to come. On top of that Berrios is a ground ball pitcher which is perfect for the hitter friendly Rogers Centre. If he had been with a team like LA, rather than the Twins, he'd be looked at in the same light as Ryu was when he signed him. Trading Hernandez for Berrios is an easy yes, trading from a strength to add an ace is a no-brainer.
To be completely honest, I'm not super in tune with Berrios/most of the league in general, but just in terms of the long-term outlook of the Jays I think their main hitting core is looking like Bichette - Guerrero - Hernandez - Springer. Subtracting from that core greatly diminishes the strength of the main hitting core. The Jays main strength is their top end talent, but to subtract from that mid-season to add a pitcher just seems... blech to me. Maybe that's a move I'd stomach more in the offseason but having the best outfield be Gurriel - Springer - Grichuk, on top of likely losing Semien to end the year, isn't super appealing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be completely honest, I'm not super in tune with Berrios/most of the league in general, but just in terms of the long-term outlook of the Jays I think their main hitting core is looking like Bichette - Guerrero - Hernandez - Springer. Subtracting from that core greatly diminishes the strength of the main hitting core. The Jays main strength is their top end talent, but to subtract from that mid-season to add a pitcher just seems... blech to me. Maybe that's a move I'd stomach more in the offseason but having the best outfield be Gurriel - Springer - Grichuk, on top of likely losing Semien to end the year, isn't super appealing.
So basically our outfield would be what it was before Springer returned from injury, except better defensively? Oh the travesty of it all.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
So basically our outfield would be what it was before Springer returned from injury, except better defensively? Oh the travesty of it all.
Grichuk is swining a very... cold bat, so while he is better defensively he definitely lacks the offensive prowess/ability/dynamic/whatever you want to call it, that he adds to the lineup. While the outfield isn't far off of what was run out there with Herandez in/Springer out, still isn't sexy to look at that as the best case scenario with a top of the order bat also out of the lineup. I just don't get how subtracting a significant part of the teams success is going to give them an increase in their odds going forward.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Grichuk is swining a very... cold bat, so while he is better defensively he definitely lacks the offensive prowess/ability/dynamic/whatever you want to call it, that he adds to the lineup. While the outfield isn't far off of what was run out there with Herandez in/Springer out, still isn't sexy to look at that as the best case scenario with a top of the order bat also out of the lineup. I just don't get how subtracting a significant part of the teams success is going to give them an increase in their odds going forward.
You don't see how subtracting from a strength, to improve a weakness will increase their odds? That's like saying you don't understand how adding roof to 4 walls will help prevent rain from getting in.

Adding Berrios, adds more depth to the rotation, it pushes Stripling to the bullpen, which pushes someone like Saucedo or Castro the minors. Also in this entire scenario we're also adding a DH in Cruz whose a .300 hitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad