Friedman: Toronto and SJ could pursue Panarnin as a rental.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LOL. Ridiculous, to suggest that Toronto would be in on this at all. Just trying to get more trade rumour buzz going, I guess. The Leafs cannot afford him/would not trade what it would take!!

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
if leafs get panarin they are winning the cup its as simple as that and I'm not a leafs fan. They're offense would be simply unstoppable.
As a leafs fan I would love to think that but I also remember when the rangers were spending all that money on guys like lindros, holik, fleury, messier etc... looks good on paper.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'd love to get Panarin but not at the cost of Vilardi. Sorry but the Kings need those ELC to offset the Kopitar and Doughty contracts.

For 1 year of Panarin you'd be looking like the Lucic type trade. 1st, roster player/cap, NHL ready prospect.
He wants to be in LA it would be extended.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think there is a real chance Panarin gets dealt. If he is saying he wont negotiate during the season, and has already indicated he would rather be elsewhere, they have to move him.

I'm assuming the blue jackets arent interested in futures. I think they would want someone that can play now.
Nylander would be a good fit

Leafs: Panarin (He would need to agree to a extension at 8-9 per beforehand)

Jackets: Nylander, 1st rd pick

Why leafs do it: They get a ppg guy to play with Matthews. Hyman can be moved back to his natural RW position or Brown/Kap can be promoted from the 4th line. They likely add only 1.5-2.5 in salary from what Nylander would have made on a long term deal. They may have to move the last year of Marleaus deal (6.25 cap, only 1.25 salary) to fit marner/matthews but if he nets 27g again it shouldnt be hard

Why Jackets do it. They get a 22 year old who has started with back to back 61pt seasons. Last year 49pts at ES were more than any forward not named Panarin had in TOTAL. Jackets can give Nylander a true shot at C. Losing the bread man hurts, but going from Saad a year ago to a guy who is already better in Nylander isn't exactly terrible

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
He is an insider, and a very good one. But he also speculates often with zero insider information. When he's doing that, he's literally no better than your average HF poster.

Which is what I think he's doing here. It just doesn't make any sense from Toronto's perspective to give up assets for a winger.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
from a leafs perspective, this is downright scary

Panarin - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Kadri - Hyman
Johnsson- Lindholm - Kapanen

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I think there is a real chance Panarin gets dealt. If he is saying he wont negotiate during the season, and has already indicated he would rather be elsewhere, they have to move him.

I'm assuming the blue jackets arent interested in futures. I think they would want someone that can play now.
Nylander would be a good fit

Leafs: Panarin (He would need to agree to a extension at 8-9 per beforehand)

Jackets: Nylander, 1st rd pick

Why leafs do it: They get a ppg guy to play with Matthews. Hyman can be moved back to his natural RW position or Brown/Kap can be promoted from the 4th line. They likely add only 1.5-2.5 in salary from what Nylander would have made on a long term deal. They may have to move the last year of Marleaus deal (6.25 cap, only 1.25 salary) to fit marner/matthews but if he nets 27g again it shouldnt be hard

Why Jackets do it. They get a 22 year old who has started with back to back 61pt seasons. Last year 49pts at ES were more than any forward not named Panarin had in TOTAL. Jackets can give Nylander a true shot at C. Losing the bread man hurts, but going from Saad a year ago to a guy who is already better in Nylander isn't exactly terrible
BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Get off the stage.

Lol Nylander and a 1st.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Which is what I think he's doing here. It just doesn't make any sense from Toronto's perspective to give up assets for a winger.

You don't have to think he is doing that. He said it was his opinion. Why do so many people struggle with things like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad