Friedman: Toronto and SJ could pursue Panarnin as a rental.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
yes. When you have an offense that consists of Matthews, Tavares, Panarin, Marner, and Nylander you are pretty okay with it
thats an elite forward group for sure, just with the amount of $ Panarin will want I question if it is wise for Toronto to invest so much into their forwards, what with this being a cap league and all

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ill believe it when I see Panarin in a Leafs jersey lol

Elliott didn't say Panarnin would be a Leaf he said Toronto and SJ would be in on him as a rental. Now if it's a battle between Toronto and SJ I would expect Toronto to win because they more young sssets to give than SJ but Elliott didn't say Panarnin would be a Leaf.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Honestly why would Leafs add more fire power?? Does he think they are going to out score everyone 10-5?? They need RHD nothing else really.

People asked that same question when they signed Tavares and the answer was the same for Tavares as it is for Panarnin.

he makes them better, simple as that.

Reactions: Neutrinos

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Toronto could pursue Panarin? Doesn't sound like Friedman knows how LTIR and bonuses interact. Would the Leafs want to start the 19-20 season with an additional ~$3M of dead cap space, in Matthews' and Marner's first year of their second contracts?

(edit: inb4 Kapanen and his two career assists)

Reactions: Morrison

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
does it behoove Toronto to pursue additional offence over defence?
If defense isn’t available at a palatable price, why not?

I’m not even sure what their lines

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Panarin-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen

3 1st lines? I’ll take it.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I doubt Columbus will settle for a 1 year rental price yet.

If those are the types of offers they are getting, I’d imagine they may just wait till the trade deadline.

Just my guess, anyway.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Panarin-Kadri-Brown

I suppose you can outscore your opponents - but imho if defense isnt available you bide your time. You guys have an excellent offensive core already, adding to your strength short term is nice, but frankly with the addition of Tavares I think you guys should save your cap for an elite D, perhaps next free agency or at the trade deadline

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Panarin-Kadri-Brown

Switch Panarin and Hyman

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I doubt Columbus will settle for a 1 year rental price yet.

If those are the types of offers they are getting, I’d imagine they may just wait till the trade deadline.

Just my guess, anyway.

and get those same offers or less? Deal him nowyou get more because the other team has him for a full year.

Wait until the deadline and you get less because now the other team has him for a max of about 3 months.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I suppose you can outscore your opponents - but imho if defense isnt available you bide your time. You guys have an excellent offensive core already, adding to your strength short term is nice, but frankly with the addition of Tavares I think you guys should save your cap for an elite D, perhaps next free agency or at the trade deadline
If he’s acquired as a rental, he doesn’t really keep us from adding D in the future.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

There is 1 truly "elite" D on the market and he is NOT coming to Toronto because there is NO way in hell Ottawa trades him here.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Kane went for a 1st, 4th and prospect
Hartman + 5th went for 1st, 4th, prospect

Panarin is better and more valuable, especially if you want a full season.

(Not that many cbj fans want that type of return)

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Toronto would have to give up a 1st rounder possibly Marner or Nylander which they already said they won't do. The Sharks make perfect sense because If he does go to San Jose and has a great year they can resign him cause they'll have the money when Jumbo retires. The Sharks wouldn't mind giving up a 1st rounder.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Toronto would have to give up a 1st rounder possibly Marner or Nylander which they already said they won't do. The Sharks make perfect sense because If he does go to San Jose and has a great year they can resign him cause they'll have the money when Jumbo retires. The Sharks wouldn't mind giving up a 1st rounder.

Who pray tell are the Sharks giving up if you think it would cost Marner or Nylander?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto could pursue Panarin? Doesn't sound like Friedman knows how LTIR and bonuses interact. Would the Leafs want to start the 19-20 season with an additional ~$3M of dead cap space, in Matthews' and Marner's first year of their second contracts?

(edit: inb4 Kapanen and his two career assists)

The better question is if it gives them a better shot at a cup do they care? even if this doesn't happen the fact that they have Tavares says they are all in.

Reactions: BM14

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Who pray tell are the Sharks giving up if you think it would cost Marner or Nylander?
The Sharks can give up a 1st rounder, Dylan Demelo for depth defense,they also can give Melker Karlsson,Chris Tierney. Or they can give 2 1st rounders and a defensemen.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
oh dear lord TOR would be a monster adding him on top of what they already have. yiiiiiikes.

Reactions: BTP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad