Friedman: Toronto and SJ could pursue Panarnin as a rental.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The Sharks can give up a 1st rounder, Dylan Demelo for depth defense,they also can give Melker Karlsson,Chris Tierney. Or they can give 2 1st rounders and a defensemen.

Seems like a big gap between that and Marner/Nylander.

If the Leafs did this it's to go all in this year. Trading one of their best players doesn't make any sense. It would have to be a package of futures.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Seems like a big gap between that and Marner/Nylander.

If the Leafs did this it's to go all in this year. Trading one of their best players doesn't make any sense. It would have to be a package of futures.
Karlsson and Tierny are like the new Halak, Ryder and a 2nd.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're not that strong on the LW, so he'd fit in on the Leafs just fine. Would be a hell of a grab tbh. But I don't know what makes sense for Columbus, we're going to want to pay a rental price and probably wouldn't give up a premium asset that makes sense. Seeing that Tampa gave up a package for a year and a half of McDonagh and managed to re-sign him, I can't see the Leafs willing to give up that significant piece. The Sharks could probably fit him in, so they might be more willing to give up a player like Meier

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He is an insider, and a very good one. But he also speculates often with zero insider information. When he's doing that, he's literally no better than your average HF poster.
but this rumor does have info that Panarin has made himself clear a 2nd time that he wants to test the market, and that Columbus is testing the trade market for him because of it. That part is likely very real, and not just speculation. The teams who would pursue him is his opinion though.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Toronto would have to give up a 1st rounder possibly Marner or Nylander which they already said they won't do. The Sharks make perfect sense because If he does go to San Jose and has a great year they can resign him cause they'll have the money when Jumbo retires. The Sharks wouldn't mind giving up a 1st rounder.
You think a 1 year rental is going to get marner or nylander type return plus a first. You are out of your mind.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
no way Panarin would play 3rd line
You have 3 lines there that can play 18-22 minutes a night. His center would be a guy who’s been putting up 30/30, playing in a matchup role.

It’s one of the Leafs top lines, depending on who’s going that night, and who the other team is trying to match against.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Friedman literally says every thought that comes to his mind. Just a media guy not an insider like Bobo.

He also presents them as such, as the case may be.

Its a tricky road to walk, because many can't understand the difference. 'Toronto could be interested in Panarin' is him speculating. 'Several sources say that Toronto could be interested in Panarin', is him reporting a rumor.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
"could"

That implies speculation to me, so I don't think there's a chance this happens.

It is also a really bad idea for the Leafs.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well he's saying he's not willing to sign an extension which meant ge probably wants out, so their options aren't great
Not now he is unsure about the coty at the moment. Only played 1 year here. A chance he signs after. If we trade before the season it will be to a team he is likely signing with which means payment is likely Nylander. Now they can move him at the deadline but we will be in the running and again unless someone blows our socks off its more likely we rent him ourselfs and hope for a good run. JK said somewhere that we arent trading for futures. It will be assets to replace Bread with of that fill other holes. We need absolutely 0 defense. Any offer with a D unless its lily is a no and that is still likely a no because the centerpiece is expecially not going to be a D. Maybe something around Kadrinsimce he is a luxury not a need for you.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
and get those same offers or less? Deal him nowyou get more because the other team has him for a full year.

Wait until the deadline and you get less because now the other team has him for a max of about 3 months.
But for cap reasons you have more
teams involved st the tdl.

He’s right on this one.

Not to mention Columbus needs to sell their fans on actually trying to win this year

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Friedman literally says every thought that comes to his mind. Just a media guy not an insider like Bobo.

Seriously, teams will give information to people that work for networks with NHL broadcast contracts, i.e. Sportsnet, NBC and TSN. You will rarely get the ESPN guy with the scoop. Anyone working for Sportsnet, NBC or TSN is an insider.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If defense isn’t available at a palatable price, why not?

I’m not even sure what their lines

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Panarin-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen

3 1st lines? I’ll take it.
LOL WHAT!?!?! Panarin somehow being on that 3rd line is the best post I seen all day.

Hyman>Gretzky>Panarin

Reactions: ajpro20

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If defense isn’t available at a palatable price, why not?

I’m not even sure what their lines

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Panarin-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen

3 1st lines? I’ll take it.
Panarin would be on #1 or #2

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
if leafs get panarin they are winning the cup its as simple as that and I'm not a leafs fan. They're offense would be simply unstoppable.
In the immortal words of Peter Chiarelli. ‘They’re a lock right?’

He should’ve farted at the end of that sentence. A nice butt raiser. Named it Sydney and walked out of that press conference flashing the bird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad