Friedman: Toronto and SJ could pursue Panarnin as a rental.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
He wants to be in LA it would be extended.

The problem is he will want 8-9m Avg. The Kings would need to clear a lot of cap space to fit him. Making the ELC even more important. Thus, making it a bad mistake to move Vilardi.

The only way I can see a deal being made between LA and Columbus...is if it is a 3-way trade then maybe. But LA doesnt have the movable assets that Columbus fans would want.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I think there is a real chance Panarin gets dealt. If he is saying he wont negotiate during the season, and has already indicated he would rather be elsewhere, they have to move him.

I'm assuming the blue jackets arent interested in futures. I think they would want someone that can play now.
Nylander would be a good fit

Leafs: Panarin (He would need to agree to a extension at 8-9 per beforehand)

Jackets: Nylander, 1st rd pick

Why leafs do it: They get a ppg guy to play with Matthews. Hyman can be moved back to his natural RW position or Brown/Kap can be promoted from the 4th line. They likely add only 1.5-2.5 in salary from what Nylander would have made on a long term deal. They may have to move the last year of Marleaus deal (6.25 cap, only 1.25 salary) to fit marner/matthews but if he nets 27g again it shouldnt be hard

Why Jackets do it. They get a 22 year old who has started with back to back 61pt seasons. Last year 49pts at ES were more than any forward not named Panarin had in TOTAL. Jackets can give Nylander a true shot at C. Losing the bread man hurts, but going from Saad a year ago to a guy who is already better in Nylander isn't exactly terrible
Its not really he wants out yet just unsure if he wants to stay here BUT you seem to have the best grasp from the TOR side Ive seen so far.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Man Friedman’s got it made.
I can do this to.
Isles could pursue Hellebuyck, Karlsson, and Crosby.

This is fun. Who knew the word “could” was so freeing.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Sharks seem like a reasonable destination. A strong offensive player his age is ideal to help them remain competitive as the older offensive stars move on.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Honestly why would Leafs add more fire power?? Does he think they are going to out score everyone 10-5?? They need RHD nothing else really.
Who says they wouldn't add a RD as well? You add more firepower because if you can continue adding skill, you absolutely do it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No they can't, really. Not without giving up a good roster player like Kadri and a pick. Rental or not, the guy is 26 and has pretty much had three 30-goal, 75+ point seasons in a row. You do NOT get a player like that, for scraps.

Leafs would be dumb to do it. IE: They can't afford it.

I thought you meant cap wise not in terms of roster players

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The problem is he will want 8-9m Avg. The Kings would need to clear a lot of cap space to fit him. Making the ELC even more important. Thus, making it a bad mistake to move Vilardi.

The only way I can see a deal being made between LA and Columbus...is if it is a 3-way trade then maybe. But LA doesnt have the movable assets that Columbus fans would want.
Understandable. Some of or fans have looked at yout ELCs just because Cali was mentioned as a destination he might like but its possible money situations and players just dont fit. Maybe you get lucky to move cash and he signs there.next year anyways. LA would be one of the places Id rather see him go.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Leafs fans keep saying this, but the Pens have always had some solid but unheralded defensemen when they won their Cups
Like Hainsey?

Rielly is amazingly underrated on hfboards, and the Leafs have quietly put together a very good stable of defensive prospects, with Dermott likely getting a full-time roll next season, as well as more seasoned European FAs, like Zaitsev, Borgman, Rosen, and Ozhiganov.

I don’t think D is as big a need, long term, as people are making it out to be. It obviously doesn’t compare to what the team has offensively, but I think what they need is seasoning, not neccissarily new bodies.

The Leafs have a mini window this coming season, while Matthews and Marner are still on their ELCs, and then they’ll regress a bit, IMO, as there will be a crunch for the next season while Marleau is still on roster. But after that they’ll be looking at some of these younger guys coming up and making a difference, with the majority of their offensive core still intact.

So this next season is kind of a “have fun with it” year. If they can’t find defensive help, I fully expect them to double down on the offense.. and depending on the internal improvements they see(Rielly a year smarter- he’s still young and developing, Zaitsev bouncing back, Dermott getting a full season, Gardiner playing for a contract, Tavares, Johnsson and KAP replacing JVR, Bozak and Komarov, etc).. I wouldn’t be surprised if they opt for more offense even if D is available.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Understandable. Some of or fans have looked at yout ELCs just because Cali was mentioned as a destination he might like but its possible money situations and players just dont fit. Maybe you get lucky to move cash and he signs there.next year anyways. LA would be one of the places Id rather see him go.

Like I said...he is exactly what LA needs and I'd love to have him here. But it will take a lot of moving parts. I could see a 3-way between LA-NJ-CBJ

LA: Panarin
NJ: Muzzin
CBJ: Pearson, Zacha, 1st (NJ), Conditional 1st if he resigned in LA

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Honestly why would Leafs add more fire power?? Does he think they are going to out score everyone 10-5?? They need RHD nothing else really.
Why not add more firepower? The goal of hockey is to outscore the opposition, and I don't think there's any natural law that says you have to have a particular mix of players in order to do so successfully. Adding Panarin to the Leafs would give them hilariously good forward depth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
yeah moving Hall for Larsson to upgrade their defense was the smartest move Edmonton has ever made
What does that have to do with anything? They had focused on forwards for so long that they were desperate for a defenseman and everyone knew it and lost a trade badly because of that and Chiarelli's general incompetence.

But actually succeeding at it
Succeeding at it? Since when are first round exits succeeding? It's sad if finishing in the top half of the league is your definition of success.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Leivo +Carrick+ 2nd

And call it a day.
A 4th liner, a 3rd pairing dman and a likely late 2nd rounder?

Hard pass. Really hard pass. That doesn't even move the needle even if he told TOR "I will not resign with you under any circumstances." Frankly, it's insulting.

Even the Wayne Simmonds deal Philly fans have thrown about is better than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus and Fro

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It would make some sense for TOR if they did a big blockbuster to get RD David Savard and Artemi Panarin. You get Panarin to go “all in” this year. You also add a top 4 RHD for your defense long-term.

That’d be a deal that made sense to give up the Price for Panarin.

Leafs would cap room as well. Send Ron Hainsey the other way, and TOR could fit Horton and the bonus overage under the cap as well.

Feb 24, 2004

You win games by scoring more than your opponent. If defensive options are poor, I have zero issues if they continue to stack the offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad