Player Discussion Torey Krug VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Maybe it was the time off, but thus far, excepting a couple of moments, Krug has not been good. He was actually pretty bad during the round robin. Since the real playoffs started he hasn't been awful but does not look like the player we have come to know. At this point no way do I think the Bruins should drop a high dollar long term deal on him.
Agreed 100%, outside of a few offensive puck moving plays he’s been very mediocre. He seems much slower moving the puck up and he’s as bad as ever in his own end.

Reactions: Dr Hook

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Krug has almost always stepped up big in the playoffs. He’s not doing it this year and it’s costing them.

Credit where it is due - he played that 1 on 1 with Kucherov very well. Polar opposite of his “defense” against Bogosian in the first.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Krug has almost always stepped up big in the playoffs. He’s not doing it this year and it’s costing them.

Credit where it is due - he played that 1 on 1 with Kucherov very well. Polar opposite of his “defense” against Bogosian in the first.
He did play that well, I’ll give him that.

To see him let a guy with that little level of offensive skill in Bogosian walk right around him like that, that’s just a joke. While his buddy Carlo is getting turnstiled on the other side.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

member 96824

guy should sit for lauzon tomorrow.

This take is just as bad as Krug’s play last night :laugh::naughty:

Seriously though. I expect a bounce back from Torey. Not a more resilient guy in that locker room. But one thing I do wonder is if there’s some sort of injury at play here. @GloryDaze4877 brought it up last night, he’s definitely making some really really uncharacteristic plays. It almost looks as if he’s compensating for something else out there.

And then it never helps when your D partner also had the same partial lobotomy that you did of course.

Reactions: easton117

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This take is just as bad as Krug’s play last night :laugh::naughty:

Seriously though. I expect a bounce back from Torey. Not a more resilient guy in that locker room. But one thing I do wonder is if there’s some sort of injury at play here. @GloryDaze4877 brought it up last night, he’s definitely making some really really uncharacteristic plays. It almost looks as if he’s compensating for something else out there.

And then it never helps when your D partner also had the same partial lobotomy that you did of course.

Well then, if that is case, wouldn't the team be better off starting Lauzon? Torey has grit for sure and it isn't like he's dogging it out there, but he has been awful so far. You're right, Carlo has been bad too, so the crap is magnified. Might as well give Lauzon a game, and shake up the pairings. Put Chara with Clifton, Lauzon with Carlo, Gryz with McAvoy and see how it goes. It can't be any worse than what we saw last night.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well then, if that is case, wouldn't the team be better off starting Lauzon? Torey has grit for sure and it isn't like he's dogging it out there, but he has been awful so far. You're right, Carlo has been bad too, so the crap is magnified. Might as well give Lauzon a game, and shake up the pairings. Put Chara with Clifton, Lauzon with Carlo, Gryz with McAvoy and see how it goes. It can't be any worse than what we saw last night.
I don’t mind those pairings. It avoids the slowness of Carlo&Chara pairing. Only thing I’d worry about is Clifton rushing the puck up or going for a big hit and getting caught up in the play leaving Chara high & dry.

Overall I think it may be the best option right now, and hopefully getting Krug pissed off watching from the bleachers.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don’t mind those pairings. It avoids the slowness of Carlo&Chara pairing. Only thing I’d worry about is Clifton rushing the puck up or going for a big hit and getting caught up in the play leaving Chara high & dry.

Overall I think it may be the best option right now, and hopefully getting Krug pissed off watching from the bleachers.

Yes, good point- I thought about Chara and Cliffy being potentially scary. Maybe Put Chara with Carlo- even playing poorly, Carlo is at least responsible in his decision-making. Then get them the hell off when the quick guys come over the boards because Crandon is looking a bit slow right now. Which brings up something else. How did we go from the having the best collective D corps in the league to meh? It's mind-boggling.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes, good point- I thought about Chara and Cliffy being potentially scary. Maybe Put Chara with Carlo- even playing poorly, Carlo is at least responsible in his decision-making. Then get them the hell off when the quick guys come over the boards because Crandon is looking a bit slow right now. Which brings up something else. How did we go from the having the best collective D corps in the league to meh? It's mind-boggling.
Yeah Carlo/Chara scares me right now with Carlos decision-making being at an all time low.

That’s a good question. Is it that our goaltending is exposing them, are they just playing well below their potential, is it the bubble, or a little mixer of everything?

Reactions: Dr Hook

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I would do that but I don’t think Cassidy will . You don’t often see a regular sit no matter how bad they perform but Krug has been that bad that you have to consider it .

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

He's definitely slumping, but having him sit is not the right option. Its the playoffs and you have to hope he can play his way out of it. It's also been a bit overstated how bad his play has been. The Bruins still need his ability to carry the puck and make those long outlet passes.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He's definitely slumping, but having him sit is not the right option. Its the playoffs and you have to hope he can play his way out of it. It's also been a bit overstated how bad his play has been. The Bruins still need his ability to carry the puck and make those long outlet passes.
I dont know if sitting him is the answer, especially in the playoffs, and especially especially a guy who brings what he does to the PP. But overstated or not, he’s definitely playing well below expectations. It doesn’t help that his partner is playing just as bad or probably even worse.

I’m sure he won’t be sat, but something needs to change.

member 96824

I'm a big "bet the horses that got you there" guy. Game 3 against the Tampa Bay Lightning isn't the time that I'm really all that interested in experimenting with the D pairs and sending messages.

IMO the best team we can ice to win tonight's game has Torey Krug on the ice.

He did lead the team in TOI(ES and total) and block shots last night, so maybe the injury theory is just an excuse for a baffling night of decisions.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm a big "bet the horses that got you there" guy. Game 3 against the Tampa Bay Lightning isn't the time that I'm really all that interested in experimenting with the D pairs and sending messages.

IMO the best team we can ice to win tonight's game has Torey Krug on the ice.

He did lead the team in TOI(ES and total) and block shots last night, so maybe the injury theory is just an excuse for a baffling night of decisions.

I am quite sure that Cassidy feels this way as well. I have no proof of it of course, but I don't see a scenario in which Krug is scratched or given substantially reduced ice time. Unless he really is hurt. Because last night was just the capper on a entire post season of Krug being anywhere from underwhelming to terrible. I also don't legitimately see Chara getting moved away from McAvoy or being scratched/meaningfully reduced. Dance with who brought you, but something needs to change because the D has not been right since this all started and it is Krug, Chara, and Carlo that bear most of that responsibility.

mg08

May 30, 2013
Enola, Pa
Krug talked about injury concerns prior to Bubble play, but once the puck drops, his focus would on playing for the Cup.
Bad decision making, looking over his shoulder for those big hits, etc, may be a result of his thoughts on being injured and not getting the big contract.
The flip side is that his bad play is also working him out of a big contract-at least in Boston.

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
I have watched the Coleman goal over an over trying to figure out what Krug was thinking.

Bogosian is coming up ice full speed. Krug's gap control was way off, so he pivots and strides laterally to close the gap. Seeing it is Bogosian, he probably thinks it is going to be a chip and chase. Bogosian makes a nice move and cuts to the middle. Krug at this point knows his mistakes, and can only wave his stick while doing a quick turn trying to recover. You never want to turn with your back to the puck carrier, but it is Krug's only play because he overcommitted to where he thought Bogosian was going.

Things to remember:

1. Gap control is difficult to accomplish moving laterally.
2. Never underestimate the dangle skills of a player coming full speed.

Krug does a much better job on the 1-1 later in the game.

Wow, I miss coaching!

SAVEBYTHOMAS

Sep 28, 2006
boston
Krug will want more than 6 million, not comfortable with that. I’d rather use that cap space to fix the issue on the wings.

The only spot where Krug will be noticeably missed is the power play. (And if these playoffs are any indication, the occasional horrendous play in his own end).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad