Player Discussion Torey Krug VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

goalies have a 89.9% save percentage the last two playoffs with krug on the ice. Worst among any bruins defender even strength.

For goals against per 60 switch from ‘counts’ to ‘rates’ goalies have a 2.85 goals against per 60 minutes in even strength situations with krug on the ice. Only player defender worse than krug was Kevan Miller, but miller played in 12 games the last two years compared to the other defenders playing 30-36 games.

Thank you for posting, definitely interesting to look at.

I'm a bit skeptical that this stat would also suggest that Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron are the worst defensive forwards we have had in the playoffs since 2018, but like I said I've never really dove into this stat before.

That 2018 Tampa series is definitely appears to be dragging on that number, Krug's on ice save % last year was 92.61% at even strength which is much better than the 83.52% the year before. What a gong show that series was :/

Reactions: Pia8988

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Thank you for posting, definitely interesting to look at.

I'm a bit skeptical that this stat would also suggest that Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron are the worst defensive forwards we have had in the playoffs since 2018, but like I said I've never really dove into this stat before.

That 2018 Tampa series is definitely appears to be dragging on that number, Krug's on ice save % last year was 92.61% at even strength which is much better than the 83.52% the year before. What a gong show that series was :/

a lot of it has to do with quality of competition as well. Can’t compare a Brad Marchand or Patrice Bergeron going up against opposing teams first lines to say what our 3rd line would be paired against.

So if you correlate that to Krug, according to Corsica hockey website Krug goes against, on average, lower end 2nd pairing, higher end 3rd pairing quality of competition.

of course you need to have some give and take with these stats because of how they determine the metrics and mathematical calculations, but without very many defensive stats it can get foggy.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Oh yeah, I'm not going to ever argue that Krug is even an average 1 on 1 defender, just there is so much out of one players control when it comes to on ice shooting percentage its hard to use it in an argument (despite the fact that in the past I totally have).

in small sample sizes, yes. However when you are consistently among the worst on a given team year after year in on ice save percentage and goals against per 60, it kind of leads to conclusions.

He is far and away the best offensive forward on the team and has been for years. But besides random JAGs who come up for maybe maximum 20 games a year. Krug has been the worst defender in the defensive zone on the bruins for quite a few years and it’s not really even close.

I just don’t think that’s worth a long term deal at $6.5m+. I certainly don’t have a solution to who would replace him, but I’d go with a couple short term deals over signing him long term.

for example I was in favor of signing stempniak to a two year deal over signing backes to the deal he got. I believe Krug follows under that same trend. In my mind you don’t give big deals to players who aren’t elite in all facets of the game and I don’t view Krug as that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
TOREY KRUG- THE WONDER OF YOU

No, we’re not talking about the 1970 hit by Elvis Presley. We’re talking about Boston Bruins defenceman Torey Krug, otherwise known to hockey diehards as TK47.

Sports, like the rest of the world, is in a period like we’ve never seen before because of the COVID-19 Pandemic. The NHL is facing question after question about how they are going to return to the days that saw record revenues for the league and record salaries for the players.

Luckily, the NHL and the Players Association have reached an agreement on a new CBA that will ensure financial stability for the next six years. Krug is set to become an unrestricted free agent once the Stanley Cup is awarded, and for him and others on expiring contracts, everyone is wondering what kind of deal he could get from the Bruins or the open market because of the flat cap negotiated by the league and the players.

There is a growing theme on social media, and that is: TK47 has taken team friendly deals in the past and now is the time to get paid.

Well, that is not entirely true, although it would appear that way.

TK47 signed his first NHL contract on March 25, 2012 for the maximum allowable under the CBA. Furthermore, he had the ability to attain over $2.3 million in performance bonuses over the three-year life of the contract. While it’s almost common practice nowadays with NCAA free agents, TK47 was one of the first to be allowed to “burn a year” off his deal. That is the price the Bruins had to pay to get TK47 to put pen to paper, but it’s certainly not team friendly.

Dominic Tiano: Torey Krug- the Wonder of You

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
From the article above...thanks LP.

"According to CapFriendly, the Bruins have $16,359,409 in cap space for next season (barring any bonus overages still yet to be determined) and with Anders Bjork signing his new deal for three years have Jake DeBrusk, Zdeno Chara Matt Grzelcyk and Joakim Nordstrom [I don’t expect an extension here] remaining to be signed and a full roster."

Most are saying we are loosing Grze to expansion. I don't entirely expect Chara back, especially if we win. Nordstrom's spot will be taken by Studs I would imagine.

This shouldn't be this difficult...

Reactions: Over the volcano

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
From the article above...thanks LP.

"According to CapFriendly, the Bruins have $16,359,409 in cap space for next season (barring any bonus overages still yet to be determined) and with Anders Bjork signing his new deal for three years have Jake DeBrusk, Zdeno Chara Matt Grzelcyk and Joakim Nordstrom [I don’t expect an extension here] remaining to be signed and a full roster."

Most are saying we are loosing Grze to expansion. I don't entirely expect Chara back, especially if we win. Nordstrom's spot will be taken by Studs I would imagine.

This shouldn't be this difficult...

I have to imaging passing Chelios in games played is something Chara would want to do.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I have to imaging passing Chelios in games played is something Chara would want to do.
Would love to know what anyone has seen in Charas life that leads them to think he’d want to stop working when he could still contribute to the team...

Also, this club without Chara and Krug is a very different club and I’d be wary of anyone who thinks there wouldn’t be some real hard growing pains with those two gone.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would love to know what anyone has seen in Charas life that leads them to think he’d want to stop working when he could still contribute to the team...

Also, this club without Chara and Krug is a very different club and I’d be wary of anyone who thinks there wouldn’t be some real hard growing pains with those two gone.

Honestly, the combination of Chara leaving and expansion is the biggest argument in my mind for bringing Krug back. Imagine Krug walking, Chara retiring, Lauzon being drafted by the Kraken and your LD group being Gryz, Moore and Zboril.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia

43.5 years of life. I know...only vegetables and climbs ropes 3 stories tall...I know. But he could possibly decide to pull the plug. In a sense I hope he does. Although I hate the Habs, I loved watching Larry Robinson as a kid playing for the Voyager from 71-73. Amazing. Then looked like a toad in LA last going off in '91. The lasting memory. Hope Chara retains some dignity. Its been an amazing career.

As I say this he just plowed Couturier into the far wall...Its just nuts. 98 games from Chelios. I agree, he's gotta go for that. Great point.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The way Krug has looked these first two games back he is not worth any $7m per year, if he wants something like that or more , then trade his rights for pick(s)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The pass by Krug to set up Marchand ranks at or near the top of my All time favorite passes

I’d love to see them keep him

It was a thing of beauty but overall he has been subpar so far. Like some said about Crandon Barlow, we have seen Corey Trug to this point. Would like the real Krug to please stand up.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I see he finally started pulling the trigger a little more from the blue line. He spent too long ignoring the shot that the threat all but disappeared. Hopefully being a little more aggressive with shooting opens up some passing lanes going forward.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
That assist on the Marchand goal was vintage Krug. He still had 2 egregious d-zone turnovers in the 1st period though. Hopefully he's rounding into form more now.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Get rid of Rask’s salary, sign Krug. Easy. Khudobin & Halak have proven that a decent goalie will excel in this system.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He'll look great wearing the "C" in the Motor City. :naughty:

Childhood team, close to his hometown, lots of needs on D and cap space to use. Very well possible.

Some might say why would he want to go to Detroit if he wants to win. But I think we've seen league-wide now that you can go from bust-to-boom and back again fairly quickly in today's NHL things change so quick now.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Childhood team, close to his hometown, lots of needs on D and cap space to use. Very well possible.

Some might say why would he want to go to Detroit if he wants to win. But I think we've seen league-wide now that you can go from bust-to-boom and back again fairly quickly in today's NHL things change so quick now.

Absolutely. Wasn't it just three seasons ago that the Avalanche were the Traveling Clown Show and about the worst team in the league?

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Absolutely. Wasn't it just three seasons ago that the Avalanche were the Traveling Clown Show and about the worst team in the league?

I seen a graphic on Sportsnet the other day that the 4 remaining Western teams picked 3 through 6 in the 2017 NHL draft. If we want to take it a step further, 5 of the 8 remaining teams had picks 2 through 6 (albeit Nolan Patrick hasn't panned out with his injury issues".

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe it was the time off, but thus far, excepting a couple of moments, Krug has not been good. He was actually pretty bad during the round robin. Since the real playoffs started he hasn't been awful but does not look like the player we have come to know. At this point no way do I think the Bruins should drop a high dollar long term deal on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->