Player Discussion Torey Krug VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Kase trade will be a disaster. I would have prefered a middle round pick in this years draft over him.
I honestly don’t know how you can make that claim based on the minuscule sample size. For a 1st round pick and a middling prospect we cleared a $4.5 million in cap space and added an in his prime middle six winger, with room to grow, and a great cap hit.

It hasn’t been a great start for him here (most guys joining a new team don’t hit the ground running), but even if he doesn’t totally pan out here in the way they hope it’s still a good deal IMO, and the right one as well.

Also, you know Kase is an NHL player, the middle round pick might never see a shift in the bigs

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Let me tell you how much of a class act and great guy Torey is. My nephew is 6 years old. His best friend just lost his mother to cancer. That little boy just turned 6 today and they had a socially distant Bruins birthday party for him. Torey gave a message that was played over the speakers via a phone wishing him a happy birthday. I was not there but my sister was and she said there was not a dry eye around. I dont know how or when he recorded it. But it made the day of a 6 year old who is going through a lot. I've always loved Torey. But this makes me love him even more. My nephew is still processing this as well. And I think this was just such a nice thing to do and I had to share with you all.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I honestly don’t know how you can make that claim based on the minuscule sample size. For a 1st round pick and a middling prospect we cleared a $4.5 million in cap space and added an in his prime middle six winger, with room to grow, and a great cap hit.

It hasn’t been a great start for him here (most guys joining a new team don’t hit the ground running), but even if he doesn’t totally pan out here in the way they hope it’s still a good deal IMO, and the right one as well.

Also, you know Kase is an NHL player, the middle round pick might never see a shift in the bigs

We will see how long that will last in Boston. Guy has never been healthy for any stretch and watching him skate with his head down like a pee wee it's a no wonder. Guys a hit away from the glue factory.

I will stick to my opinion. It was and will be a bad trade. Axle, regardless of our depth will be a very good player. The way I see it we traded a first in what is to be a generational draft to get rid of Backes. Kase for Axle was a side ways move.

Prove me wrong Kase I beg you.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Let me tell you how much of a class act and great guy Torey is. My nephew is 6 years old. His best friend just lost his mother to cancer. That little boy just turned 6 today and they had a socially distant Bruins birthday party for him. Torey gave a message that was played over the speakers via a phone wishing him a happy birthday. I was not there but my sister was and she said there was not a dry eye around. I dont know how or when he recorded it. But it made the day of a 6 year old who is going through a lot. I've always loved Torey. But this makes me love him even more. My nephew is still processing this as well. And I think this was just such a nice thing to do and I had to share with you all.

This really says what I've been trying to say say for a month - Character. Teammate. Leader. - This kind of connection with the people might sway his decision. He owes a lot to the team and the city and I think he knows that, appreciates it and has gratitude. Those roots will hopefully hold.

Reactions: Mione134

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
We will see how long that will last in Boston. Guy has never been healthy for any stretch and watching him skate with his head down like a pee wee it's a no wonder. Guys a hit away from the glue factory.

I will stick to my opinion. It was and will be a bad trade. Axle, regardless of our depth will be a very good player. The way I see it we traded a first in what is to be a generational draft to get rid of Backes. Kase for Axle was a side ways move.

Prove me wrong Kase I beg you.
Yeah it sucks that they had to trade a first in this years draft, but can you imagine going into next season with 6 million in cap tied up in David freaking Backes with the cap not rising, and having not addressed their middle 6 winger situation whatsoever? Oh and Grz, JDB and Bjork are still due raises, oh and let's not forget Krug. But don't worry, we still have 6 million tied up in David Backes.

The point is, regardless of how you feel about Kase, it was a deal that needed to be made for both this season, and the future. No chance they'd have been able to move Backes this offseason after COVID. No chance in hell.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

People don’t actually believe this, do they?

That trade cleared nowhere near that much cap space. We got less that a million in relief.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

That trade cleared nowhere near that much cap space. We got less that a million in relief.
If you really want to get into the semantics of it. The cleared 4.5 million and added to middle six wingers to fill out the depth of the forward group.

So yes, the did not completely remove that hit, but they did allocate that money to places of need.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Two deadline trades combined to clear: $3.2M

Kase/Backes: $2.6M in/$4.5M out - cleared $1.9M

Ritchie/Heinen: $1.5 in/$2.8M out - cleared $1.3

Without that cleared money, there's no chance of re-signing Krug without getting rid of more salary, and even if they decide not to re-sign Krug, there's enough money now where you have the space to sign a quality player in free agency if you wanted to.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Two deadline trades combined to clear: $3.2M

Kase/Backes: $2.6M in/$4.5M out - cleared $1.9M

Ritchie/Heinen: $1.5 in/$2.8M out - cleared $1.3

Without that cleared money, there's no chance of re-signing Krug without getting rid of more salary, and even if they decide not to re-sign Krug, there's enough money now where you have the space to sign a quality player in free agency if you wanted to.

Yes. That extra cap space is sorely needed to get the RFAs resigned.

member 96824

Dear Donathan,

Have you checked your to do’s? Torey Krug remains unsigned for the 2020-2021 season.

Mom always said: do your chores, be polite, and allocate the top % of your cap table to the best players and let the rest fall into place.

You remember your manners don’t you?

Sincerely,

BrainOfJ

P.S. David Krejci is 34, expiring at the end of next year, and could definitely fetch that classic “player, pick, prospect” rental type return. His value for 1 year should sit between Taylor Hall and Tyler Toffoli’s or Jason Zucker’s

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Man, just watching some old games, it's so impressive to see how much Krug can create with his hockey sense and deft touch on his passes.

Seriously, how many D-men can create this on a full-scale line change while the PK is set completely in place to defend against an entry? Touch on the pass is like the equivalent of a QB throwing a back-shoulder fade or something, where the receiver is completely covered but it's using the defender's lack of awareness of where the ball is against him.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
There are about 6 players on the Bruins I wouldn't move to keep Krug. Anyone else, no issue. I think the Bruins will regret if they let Krug walk.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There are about 6 players on the Bruins I wouldn't move to keep Krug. Anyone else, no issue. I think the Bruins will regret if they let Krug walk.

Depends on the AAV for me. Nothing above $6.5m or else I’d let him walk. I would rather stay financially flexible over the next couple years while looking for a Chara replacement and a true first pairing LHD then allocate that much money to a 2nd pairing defender. Especially one who has played as poorly defensively in the playoffs as Krug has.

Obviously you can’t replicate his power play production, but if the Bruins go get a true top pairing left handed D and have lauzon and Vaak as the other D, Bruins are in great shape, especially 5v5.

(I believe Seattle takes Gryz in the expansion draft so that’s why I said lauzon and Vaak filling out the LHD)

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Depends on the AAV for me. Nothing above $6.5m or else I’d let him walk. I would rather stay financially flexible over the next couple years while looking for a Chara replacement and a true first pairing LHD then allocate that much money to a 2nd pairing defender. Especially one who has played as poorly defensively in the playoffs as Krug has.

Obviously you can’t replicate his power play production, but if the Bruins go get a true top pairing left handed D and have lauzon and Vaak as the other D, Bruins are in great shape, especially 5v5.

(I believe Seattle takes Gryz in the expansion draft so that’s why I said lauzon and Vaak filling out the LHD)

His defense wasn't an issue last playoffs. Instead, Krug was the Bruin who took the physicality back to the Blues. For a franchise that claims to value character and leadership so much, you would think Krug would already be extended. One of the best leaders on the team and despite his size willing to stand up to anyone. The Bruins could use more Torey Krugs, not less.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Would much rather trade Vaak and keep Krug.
You can do both. But Torrey Krug isn’t talking with Bruins about a contract until season is over. Highly unlikely he’s back. I understand. He should cash in, its his right too. I wanna sign him if they had no salary cap I FN do it .. but.....who goes and why

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
His defense wasn't an issue last playoffs. Instead, Krug was the Bruin who took the physicality back to the Blues. For a franchise that claims to value character and leadership so much, you would think Krug would already be extended. One of the best leaders on the team and despite his size willing to stand up to anyone. The Bruins could use more Torey Krugs, not less.

last year two years goalies have had their worst Goals against per 60 and save percent with krug on the ice in the playoffs.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think Krug is the type of player you commit to, even though at the end of whatever contract extension you give him he might be an albatross for a year or two. For the 5 years before that, it'll be worth it. This PP can't lose him.

member 96824

I wonder what the secondary affects of letting Krug walk look like.

Like for example, a player like DeBrusk who's so dependent on creating offense on the rush. I don't have any stats on primary, secondary assists, or 2020 data on created breakouts but anecdotally, one has to assume that going from Torey Krug to one of Connor Clifton, John Moore, Jakub Zboril in full time means the defense isn't as effective next year generating rushes from the backend on the whole and getting a player like DeBrusk the puck in the spot he needs it to be most effective.

member 96824

last year two years goalies have had their worst Goals against per 60 and save percent with krug on the ice in the playoffs.

Can you link to this. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just really curious to see it. I haven't seen that stat tracked so it sounds interesting.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Can you link to this. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just really curious to see it. I haven't seen that stat tracked so it sounds interesting.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

goalies have a 89.9% save percentage the last two playoffs with krug on the ice. Worst among any bruins defender even strength.

For goals against per 60 switch from ‘counts’ to ‘rates’ goalies have a 2.85 goals against per 60 minutes in even strength situations with krug on the ice. Only player defender worse than krug was Kevan Miller, but miller played in 12 games the last two years compared to the other defenders playing 30-36 games.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

goalies have a 89.9% save percentage the last two playoffs with krug on the ice. Worst among any bruins defender even strength.

For goals against per 60 switch from ‘counts’ to ‘rates’ goalies have a 2.85 goals against per 60 minutes in even strength situations with krug on the ice. Only player defender worse than krug was Kevan Miller, but miller played in 12 games the last two years compared to the other defenders playing 30-36 games.

I remember defending Dougie Hamilton being a better than thought defender as a Bruins because he was top 10 in the league in this stat. Or that Kevan Miller was a great defender because two years in a row he had a very high on ice save %.

Turns out it doesn't reproduce well and is pretty random and not super useful.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I remember defending Dougie Hamilton being a better than thought defender as a Bruins because he was top 10 in the league in this stat. Or that Kevan Miller was a great defender because two years in a row he had a very high on ice save %.

Turns out it doesn't reproduce well and is pretty random and not super useful.

Purely defensive zone defense, Kevan Miller and Dougie Hamilton are better defenders than krug and in terms of Dougie he is much better in the defensive zone than Krug.

offensively, completely different story, Krug waxes them.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Purely defensive zone defense, Kevan Miller and Dougie Hamilton are better defenders than krug and in terms of Dougie he is much better in the defensive zone than Krug.

offensively, completely different story, Krug waxes them.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to ever argue that Krug is even an average 1 on 1 defender, just there is so much out of one players control when it comes to on ice shooting percentage its hard to use it in an argument (despite the fact that in the past I totally have).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->