Player Discussion Torey Krug VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Chara’s plans come into play here heavily. I think Chara will be back for one more season (unless they win the Cup). If he isn’t back, losing Chara and Krug in one season would significantly change the look of the teams blue line.

I’m not even sure how you make that top 4 work. We talk about Vaak as a future top 3 D, and that might be true...but those that watch Providence all the time like BruinsNetwork have put both Lauzon and Zboril in front of Vaak at this moment in time.

In the long run, I think you would want

Gryz McAvoy
Vaak Carlo
Zboril/Lauzon/Clifton

You want to put Gryz and McAvoy together, but Carlo needs to be paired with someone with puck skills. Vaakaneinen fits the description, but is he ready to be a plug and play top 4 D in the shutdown pairing? Seems like a lot to ask given his season.

So basically, if you let Krug go, you need Chara to hang on one more year to break Zboril, Lauzon and Vaak into the lineup and see who is ready for top 4 duty.

Reactions: Number8

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think Chara’s plans come into play here heavily. I think Chara will be back for one more season (unless they win the Cup). If he isn’t back, losing Chara and Krug in one season would significantly change the look of the teams blue line.

I’m not even sure how you make that top 4 work. We talk about Vaak as a future top 3 D, and that might be true...but those that watch Providence all the time like BruinsNetwork have put both Lauzon and Zboril in front of Vaak at this moment in time.

In the long run, I think you would want

Gryz McAvoy
Vaak Carlo
Zboril/Lauzon/Clifton

You want to put Gryz and McAvoy together, but Carlo needs to be paired with someone with puck skills. Vaakaneinen fits the description, but is he ready to be a plug and play top 4 D in the shutdown pairing? Seems like a lot to ask given his season.

So basically, if you let Krug go, you need Chara to hang on one more year to break Zboril, Lauzon and Vaak into the lineup and see who is ready for top 4 duty.
Boy Seattle is going to make this one holy mess to figure out what do do and how. Unless we give up something, Seattle going to get a good defenseman from us. Only question is which one.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boy Seattle is going to make this one holy mess to figure out what do do and how. Unless we give up something, Seattle going to get a good defenseman from us. Only question is which one.

it’s funny that we have all correctly been focused on losing a D but...

Frederic, Bjork and Ritchie only have one protection slot to go between them. If the Bruins let Krug go, Seattle is looking at two of those forwards and Lauzon, Zboril and Clifton to choose from. If they don’t bring back Krug, I don’t think it’s cut and dry Boston loses a D man.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
They have 3 pure shutdown defencemen in Lauzon, Carlo and Chara, two generalists/puck movers in Grzelcyk and McAvoy. Krug rounds that group by being an elite offensive defenceman. Smart move is to let Chara retire (or actually heavily limit his minutes going forward) and sign Krug.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Ufa defense market is interesting. Right now Krug is the only one performing on his contract year, while others are struggling on weaker teams/roles:

Gustafsson, Brodie, Barrie, and Vatanen.

Those guys could get half as much as Krug but be equally productive given the right lineup.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
If he wants 6/49 then it’s bye bye Torey. Not worth that much especially with so many promising D prospects and likely Chara back for at least 1 more year.

Reactions: JOKER 192

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
6/42 is fair. If not I wouldn’t do it and I want him signed. But that kind of money for a D-man is what I picture is a projected....

17 G 40 A +20 with TOI 27/28 . Number 1 D-man on the team. Plus they have the untouchable Vaak ready and able. I’m done sweating this out. The hometown discount was BS from the start. I don’t blame him you get one chance of cashing in so he’s doing it. Not his fault. Get what you can.

Reactions: Strafer

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Anything over 7.2ish and I’d just let McAvoy take over the power play reigns.

That's my feeling. No way in hell am I going above 6 years or $7M per. Is he an important part of the powerplay? Certainly. But I don't think it's going to suddenly turn to shit if he's replaced by McAvoy.

Reactions: Emerz and DKH

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If we just let Krug walk we could have an insane amount of cap flexibility for a team in our position.

Our fans also need to show some respect to the deep roster and accept that Seattle will get their pick of 4-5 very good players and guess what they can only take one and we get to keep the rest and the protected guys.

Best of luck in Detroit Torey please deliver one more monster playoff run and raise a Cup on your way out.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't to re-sign him for more than 5 years, and certainly not at over $7 mil per. He's a good player and a valuable one to the team, but that is too much term and dollars. If he were 26 it would be worth thinking about, but he isn't and so adios, amigo. The Bruins have enough D strength and depth to absorb his loss and not miss a step. What they lose in offensive firepower, they make up for in sounder defensive play.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I totally understand that negotiation anchor as TK47s agent. And I suspect he could get within 5% of that figure on the open market.

Love the guy, think he should get what he can can and I won’t hold it against him. There are probably hundreds of things we don’t see behind the scenes. He can set up his family for multiple generations- can’t fault him for that.

With all that said, I don’t see how the Bs going that high.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Imagine thinking Torey Krug isn't worth $4 mil a year in today's NHL.

Dislike the player all you want, but this is a really bad take.

That's fine, How about I will not be willing to pay One Torey Krugs 6m a year. One dimensional player that lives of a great first line and a power play to get his points. He's good at getting those for sure but in todays game you need to play a little defence and he can't.

Carlo, as much as I think he's a cream puff is a very good shut down guy that very well may be held back to make up for Krugs brutality on the back end.

Spend the money elsewhere let someone else get suckered in and pay him. Red Wings will have a ton a cash next year by the way.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Boston would be wise to let Krug walk. Chara should also retire at the end of the season, regardless of whether it ends in another Stanley Cup. Boston needs to look to the future and to not be tied to a long-term deal for Krug that could be an anchor in a few years' time. I'd like to see the following next season:

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Lauzon-Carlo
Vaak-Clifton
Zboril/Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad