Player Discussion Torey Krug IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
there is no world in which I sit Torey Krug in the playoffs where special teams are more often than not THE key
But I didn't think they were. I thought penalties were called a lot less.
I know the 4th line is killer now, but if Torey could play 6 to 8 minutes as a 4th line forward and man the powerplay,
I think that would be ideal. But again, he isn't the type of player the B's use on the 4th line. Gets some minutes to stay in the game. QB's the PP, moves him off of D, where he is a bit of a liability.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I know the 4th line is killer now, but if Torey could play 6 to 8 minutes as a 4th line forward and man the powerplay,
I think that would be ideal. But again, he isn't the type of player the B's use on the 4th line. Gets some minutes to stay in the game. QB's the PP, moves him off of D, where he is a bit of a liability.

Torey Krug is not a negative 5 on 5. Why would you take a positive and try to turn him into a 4th line forward.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Torey Krug is not a negative 5 on 5. Why would you take a positive and try to turn him into a 4th line forward.
You do realize the only defenseman who has been on the ice for more 5 on 5 goals is McAvoy. Everyone else has been on for less including his main partner in Carlo.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
You do realize the only defenseman who has been on the ice for more 5 on 5 goals is McAvoy. Everyone else has been on for less including his main partner in Carlo.

so he has been on ice for more goals against than the 2 premier shut down defenders in Chara and Carlo...but on ice for less goals against than the other mobile D in the top 4, McAvoy.

Where's the bad point exactly? Are we expecting Krug to be on ice for less goals against than shut down defenders while being a top 5 point producer? Because if so, you need a drastic change in expectations.

If Krug were defensively as good as Carlo while producing the same points, he'd be a Norris candidate and on the level of of a Doughty or Karlsson.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

This is an awful suggestion. Swing and a miss.... The bat ended up in the 14th row behind home plate.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

And still a +9. I'm fine with that. Krug also doesn't get to skate with Marchand and Bergeron as much as the others.

McAvoy and Chara both get a big bump from skating more with the top line offensively.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
so he has been on ice for more goals against than the 2 premier shut down defenders in Chara and Carlo...but on ice for less goals against than the other mobile D in the top 4, McAvoy.

Where's the bad point exactly? Are we expecting Krug to be on ice for less goals against than shut down defenders while being a top 5 point producer? Because if so, you need a drastic change in expectations.

If Krug were defensively as good as Carlo while producing the same points, he'd be a Norris candidate and on the level of of a Doughty or Karlsson.
Actually Carlo, Chara, and McAvoy have been on the ice for more goals than Krug. I'm just saying you are trying to use these stats to try to push an agenda but leave out other important info like how the other defenseman are in comparison.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
And still a +9. I'm fine with that. Krug also doesn't get to skate with Marchand and Bergeron as much as the others.

McAvoy and Chara both get a big bump from skating more with the top line offensively.
Krug is a +8 at even strength. And even Carlo has been on ice for more goals for than Krug and is a +16

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I guess the Hockey Reference page for Krug is wrong because everyone else is matches up. But back to the discussion. I just hate how people try to use his even stats to say that he is not bad in defensive end but at the some point don't look at all the defensemen on the team to compare which shows that he is towards the bottom of the team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I guess the Hockey Reference page for Krug is wrong because everyone else is matches up. But back to the discussion. I just hate how people try to use his even stats to say that he is not bad in defensive end but at the some point don't look at all the defensemen on the team to compare which shows that he is towards the bottom of the team.

My theory is that because Krug is undersized and an offensive d-man who is not great in his own end, any mistakes he makes are magnified for some people to confirm what he is: undersized and offensively oriented. A player with is "profile" is expected to be that way. How much criticism does Chara get around here when he makes egregious errors? Last night he caused a goal with a terrible giveaway and it happens sometimes- to him and everyone. Krug is just a whipping boy.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
My theory is that because Krug is undersized and an offensive d-man who is not great in his own end, any mistakes he makes are magnified for some people to confirm what he is: undersized and offensively oriented. A player with is "profile" is expected to be that way. How much criticism does Chara get around here when he makes egregious errors? Last night he caused a goal with a terrible giveaway and it happens sometimes- to him and everyone. Krug is just a whipping boy.

exactly this.

you dont hear people beating up Grzelcyk for getting knocked off the puck easily or all the dumb minors he takes

or Carlo get ripped for being allergic to scoring.

since Krug is the whipping boy, some watch him with a pre set bias and key on only the plays that confirm the bias.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

And I'll again say that I'm amazed that in an area where undersized players have usually been admired and looked at as guys with heart and grit like Doug Flutie, Dustin Pedroia, Julian Edelman, etc. Torey Krug isn't looked at by some as those guys when he's every bit the same :dunno:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

all depends who the refs are, 10+ years ago I`d agree, far more of a pattern of the refs letting the teams decide the game not the refs with a few exceptions but now, while penalties seem to be called less, the impact of special teams has never been so great IMO.

B`s PP as of right now is on fire, the Leafs......not so much but I don`t want to see the Leafs PP often, still a ton of snipers on it

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Must have been a tough night in the GDT for the haters. Krug made the PP a lot better. Does he make mistakes well yes. He does carry the puck more than any other deeman and by living that way he is going get checked and make a bad pass time to time. The grunts that chip it out do not get in those situations because they are told do not handle it too much because they cannot.

Krug will get the hate because he is not a bruising rough and tumble player that gives some guys a lot of slack. He is an easy target, same as saying Nordy sucks in the scoring department, that is not why he is here. Same as Halak cannot let in a bad one vs Rask, easy targets get dumped on a lot quicker with the hate. I see it all the time, one mistake is all that is needed by some and others it's like it never happened. Krug plays a role on this team, accept his role and do not expect an all around Ray Bourque guy.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Must have been a tough night in the GDT for the haters. Krug made the PP a lot better. Does he make mistakes well yes. He does carry the puck more than any other deeman and by living that way he is going get checked and make a bad pass time to time. The grunts that chip it out do not get in those situations because they are told do not handle it too much because they cannot.

Krug will get the hate because he is not a bruising rough and tumble player that gives some guys a lot of slack. He is an easy target, same as saying Nordy sucks in the scoring department, that is not why he is here. Same as Halak cannot let in a bad one vs Rask, easy targets get dumped on a lot quicker with the hate. I see it all the time, one mistake is all that is needed by some and others it's like it never happened. Krug plays a role on this team, accept his role and do not expect an all around Ray Bourque guy.

I would say that there are only 2 grunts on the team that just chip it out, Chara and Miller, and they aren't that bad, but the worst of the lot. I don't hate Krug, he really makes the PP run, and is very good offensively. If you think about the last minute of the game, B's up by 1 goal, who is the last D'man you want out there ? For me it is Krug. For all those using stats, you want Krug out there before Gryz , Moore , heck even Clifton ? I don't hate Krug, just thinking how to make the B's better. Not sure why trying Krug on the 4th like is a swing and a miss, and the bat is up in the stands.
I'm also not saying it will work. But if it does, you have the same PP and a better D. Yes the 4th line probably won't be as
tough to play against, but I think it would be worth the experiment next year.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I would say that there are only 2 grunts on the team that just chip it out, Chara and Miller, and they aren't that bad, but the worst of the lot. I don't hate Krug, he really makes the PP run, and is very good offensively. If you think about the last minute of the game, B's up by 1 goal, who is the last D'man you want out there ? For me it is Krug. For all those using stats, you want Krug out there before Gryz , Moore , heck even Clifton ? I don't hate Krug, just thinking how to make the B's better. Not sure why trying Krug on the 4th like is a swing and a miss, and the bat is up in the stands.
I'm also not saying it will work. But if it does, you have the same PP and a better D. Yes the 4th line probably won't be as
tough to play against, but I think it would be worth the experiment next year.

Of course Krug isn’t the D you want on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead with 1min to play. Who is saying otherwise?

Just like you don’t want Carlo or Miller on the ice when trying to tie it up late. That’s Krug job.

In the end, Krug is an elite puck mover, one of the best in the league.

Sure he has some D limitations. If he didn’t, he would be a 11M/year player.

Hopefully, Sweeney is able to extend him. Don’t want him to leave. As a F, you just love to play with a D like him that gets you the puck on tape in stride.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Of course Krug isn’t the D you want on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead with 1min to play. Who is saying otherwise?

Just like you don’t want Carlo or Miller on the ice when trying to tie it up late. That’s Krug job.

In the end, Krug is an elite puck mover, one of the best in the league.

Sure he has some D limitations. If he didn’t, he would be a 11M/year player.

Hopefully, Sweeney is able to extend him. Don’t want him to leave. As a F, you just love to play with a D like him that gets you the puck on tape in stride.

This is the best post in this entire thread. Thank you for summing this up in one easy to understand statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad