Player Discussion Torey Krug IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
against tampa i would consider having moore grizz and chara as our 3 LHD.
mcavoy carlo and either miller or clifton as the 3rd RHD

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
A deal does make sense. The Bruins are very deep on defense and Krug has one more year left and will be looking for a substantial raise. Krug is a great offensive defenseman and can bring a hefty return and with the Bruins depth behind their blue-line, there will be no- better time than this summer to deal him for a to p six forward or a true shut-down left -d-man, or a very high draft pick.

I appreciate what you're saying. Yet I'm not as certain that the Bruins are as proficient, or "deeply proficient" on D as you suppose.

I'm no expert. To me they are a decent D corps, anchored by Z, Carlo, Charlie, and Matt G. Clifton may be good, too.

Kevan Miller, because of the game he plays (Andrew Ference, Adam) is oft injured.

Not making a particular case but also not sure the Bruins have real depth on D -- that is, those mentioned above plus mediocre "JAGS."

Pleased to be wrong. Bring on the stats, but also, perspective & insight.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I appreciate what you're saying. Yet I'm not as certain that the Bruins are as proficient, or "deeply proficient" on D as you suppose.

I'm no expert. To me they are a decent D corps, anchored by Z, Carlo, Charlie, and Matt G. Clifton may be good, too.

Kevan Miller, because of the game he plays (Andrew Ference, Adam) is oft injured.

Not making a particular case but also not sure the Bruins have real depth on D -- that is, those mentioned above plus mediocre "JAGS."

I think he is talking about the prospects waiting in the wings right now. On the right side you have Clifton and Andersson. On the left side you have Vaakanainen, Lauzon, Zboril, Zech, Sherman, and Johansson. I can definitely at least 4 maybe 5 of the mentioned players fighting for a spot next year.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Bruins won the last 3 games without Krug.

He’s useless. Trade him for the best pick you can get and go with Kampfer.

Ha ha ha.

Listen, Haggerty may have gotten roasted by Marchy for his article, but to be fair... it's a conversation/thought/argument that has legs and should be looked at. The PP has struggled without Krug.... but that's also working Pasta back in, and now having a right shot replace a left shot which changes some things they can do... but they've played unbelievably good defensive games without Torey. Small sample size, but still. Can't completely ignore it.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

For me you deal from strength and at the appropriate time and that time could very well be this summer.

lets take a quick look at what they could have next year without Krug in the line-up. lets say going into camp next year this is their top six with J.Moore as their #7

Chara McAvoy
Grizz Carlo
Clifton miller

After that you have guys like Vaak and Lauzon, who too me are NHL ready right now, all they need to do is stay healthy and on top of that they have Zboril, who I don't think is too far away, add in the addition of Zech who will be entering camp and all of them will be fighting for a jobs. Just me, but I think that's pretty deep not just quantity but some real nice quality as well.

That's a pretty deep group , and without Krug and like I said after next year he hits RFA status and will be looking for a substantial pay raise. The option will diffidently be there to trade Krug if the right deal becomes available and add to that Sweeney greatest strength is his ability to find and draft NHL caliber defenseman. Its a great asset to have as there are always teams looking for defenseman and right now Sweeney has shown he has the ability to find them, in the draft or FA.

It would be fool hardy not take advantage of Sweeney eye for acquiring defenseman, maybe it won't be Krug and they'll choose to keep him and deal someone else but there' more glaring holes to fill out-there, Like a future #1 Center or a true shutdown left-side d-man and dealing from a position of strength is the best way to address it. Krug is a tremendous offensive talent but you have to give to get, and too me the Bruins would be dealing from a position of strength.

Last edited:

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
For me you deal from strength and at the appropriate time and that time could very well be this summer.

lets take a quick look at what they could have next year without Krug in the line-up. lets say going into camp next year this is their top six with J.Moore as their #7

Chara McAvoy
Grizz Carlo
Clifton miller

After that you have guys like Vaak and Lauzon, who too me are NHL ready right now, all they need to do is stay healthy and on top of that they have Zboril, who I don't think is too far away, add in the addition of Zech who will be entering camp and all of them will be fighting for a jobs. Just me, but I think that's pretty deep not just quantity but some real nice quality as well.

That's a pretty deep group , and without Krug and like I said after next year he hits RFA status and will be looking for a substantial pay raise. The option will diffidently be there to trade Krug if the right deal becomes available and add to that Sweeney greatest strength is his ability to find and draft NHL caliber defenseman. Its a great asset to have as there are always teams looking for defenseman and right now Sweeney has shown he has the ability to find them, in the draft or FA.

It would be fool hardy not take advantage of Sweeney eye, for acquiring defenseman, maybe it won't be Krug and they'll choose to keep him and deal someone else but there' more glaring holes to fill out-there, Like a future #1 Center or a true shutdown left-side d-man and dealing from a position of strength is the best way to address it. Krug is a tremendous offensive talent but you have to give to get, and too me the Bruins would be dealing from a position of strength.

Also you need to take into consideration is how much it will cost to re-sign McAvoy,Carlo and Big Z on the back end. The bruins will take this all into consideration all well Knowing Krug is one year away from UFA status,the same year DeBrusk Grizz and Clifton will all be RFA. McAvoy and Carlo may both take bridge deals or the Bruins may prefer to lock up one or both of them long term, either way this will hamper what they'll be able to fork out for the next Krug contract.

He may very well price himself out of Boston after the signings of McAvoy,Carlo and Debrusk. The Bruins hopefully will have the foresight to see this.

My guess is he's a goner, sure he's pretty popular among the Bruins and is an offensive dynamo but this is a business and Krug may as well be the odd man out, while he can still fetch a real nice return. Which will/should make the Bruins a better team, given the talent they'll still have on the blue-line.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419 and TCB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think he is talking about the prospects waiting in the wings right now. On the right side you have Clifton and Andersson. On the left side you have Vaakanainen, Lauzon, Zboril, Zech, Sherman, and Johansson. I can definitely at least 4 maybe 5 of the mentioned players fighting for a spot next year.

Thanks. I hope you're right.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Chara McAvoy
Grizz Carlo
Clifton miller

It would be fool hardy not take advantage of Sweeney eye, for acquiring defenseman, maybe it won't be Krug and they'll choose to keep him and deal someone else but there' more glaring holes to fill out-there, Like a future #1 Center or a true shutdown left-side d-man and dealing from a position of strength is the best way to address it. Krug is a tremendous offensive talent but you have to give to get, and too me the Bruins would be dealing from a position of strength.

Good stuff. I certainly agree that dealing from your strength and depth is the way to go. Don't see Zboral so I can't really say, but remain skeptical as to his "compete level," a red flag raised in the 2015 draft.

Thanks again.

Reactions: TCB

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Also you need to take into consideration is how much it will cost to re-sign McAvoy,Carlo and Big Z on the back end. The bruins will take this all into consideration all well Knowing Krug is one year away from UFA status,the same year DeBrusk Grizz and Clifton will all be RFA. McAvoy and Carlo may both take bridge deals or the Bruins may prefer to lock up one or both of them long term, either way this will hamper what they'll be able to fork out for the next Krug contract.

Not to mention having the cap space in 2020 to sign Taylor Hall.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You appreciate how great he is on the power play when he’s out

It hasn't looked the same, has it? I think Charlie will be a PP guy at some point, but he plays a different game. The team will have to adjust how they do zone entries and rotate in the o-zone if Krug is permanently out and Charlie is asked to step into that role. Right now, the PP is sucking a bit with no Krug.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, good thing we had those defensively responsible defenders in there last night to defend the league instead of Krug coughing it up.

This D core needs him back, big time. Too easy to pin guys like Moore, Kampfer, Clifton in when they dont have someone that can move the puck out.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsNetwork

I mean, good thing we had those defensively responsible defenders in there last night to defend the league instead of Krug coughing it up.

This D core needs him back, big time. Too easy to pin guys like Moore, Kampfer, Clifton in when they dont have someone that can move the puck out.

Wait, other defenders made mistakes that weren’t named Torey Krug? How’s that possible?

Reactions: Chief Nine

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
This team misses him big time. He bring way more pros than cons. His cons are just easier to see.

Our transition game and PP are second rate without him. He bring an entirely different dimension to the team.

The whining around here is ridiculous.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This team misses him big time. He bring way more pros than cons. His cons are just easier to see.

Our transition game and PP are second rate without him. He bring an entirely different dimension to the team.

The whining around here is ridiculous.
wait til ya here us whine if/when he gets moved and the pts from the back end are hard to come by

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's funny, the two little guys who last season so many complained about in the Tampa Bay series are out and they still kick our asses. Only this time, the Bruins are a better team and with Krug and Grizz back there retrieving pucks and making good plays out of the d-zone and in transition, it's a completely different result last night. All that beef- Carlo, Chara, Moore (while he lasted), Kampfer, McAvoy- didn't seem to help so much.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Krug looked terrific last night. Completely changes the look of the PP when he's out there, you can tell they have a lot more confidence moving the puck around and using the point when he's out there.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's funny, the two little guys who last season so many complained about in the Tampa Bay series are out and they still kick our asses. Only this time, the Bruins are a better team and with Krug and Grizz back there retrieving pucks and making good plays out of the d-zone and in transition, it's a completely different result last night. All that beef- Carlo, Chara, Moore (while he lasted), Kampfer, McAvoy- didn't seem to help so much.

The first 5-6 mins. against TB the other night the Bruins D couldn't make a clean breakout to save their lives.

Myself, like many others, really like what Connor Clifton has brought since his recall. But I've seen ridiculous suggestions like playing Clifton over Gryz in the playoffs, which is simply put a moronic suggestion. Gryz is one of the best D-men in the sport at breaking the puck out clean out of the defensive zone. People see Clifton's big hits and get all hot and bothered, but Gryz right now is the superior player.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
The first 5-6 mins. against TB the other night the Bruins D couldn't make a clean breakout to save their lives.

Myself, like many others, really like what Connor Clifton has brought since his recall. But I've seen ridiculous suggestions like playing Clifton over Gryz in the playoffs, which is simply put a moronic suggestion. Gryz is one of the best D-men in the sport at breaking the puck out clean out of the defensive zone. People see Clifton's big hits and get all hot and bothered, but Gryz right now is the superior player.

Yep, his skating and ability to create space is something else, we ll need someone to skate the puck out.

Reactions: kjpm and BruinDust

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Gryz-Clifton would be a nice 3rd pairing though.

Reactions: BruinDust

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I like Clifton, but agree that people need to pump the brakes on him a bit.

Last night I’m watching the PK, he and Carlo are on D (with Clifford lol on the left). Carlo made (imo) an ill-advised attempt to stop the NY puck carrier at the blue line and then Clifton bit on the puck as well and Zibanejad was wide open for the goal. He reminds me a bit of Boychuk before he settled down and started making better decisions defensively. Some big hits and that riverboat gambler mentality.

Grizz is the much better player now and next year I see some speculation with Clifton on the 3rd pair over UV. I don’t see that at all, Krug or no Krug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad