Confirmed with Link: [TOR/WPG] TOR trades Par Lindholm to WPG for Nic Petan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Petan
PPG at the AHL level, 23 years old, RFA @ end of season.
SCOUTING REPORT
Is a supremely gifted playmaker with plenty of creativity and setup skills. His intelligence goes a long way in all three zones. Competes very intensely, even against much bigger opponents.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lindholm
1 goal in 61 games, 27 years old, UFA @ end of season.
SCOUTING REPORT
Lacks an optimum scoring dimension for the National Hockey League, so he will always be reduced to a bottom-six forward role at the highest level. Also lacks size and strength.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
One guy has top 6 potential , the other guy barely has bottom line potential. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. We get younger, more skilled, seems like enough reasons to make that trade.

we traded a permanent regular fixture in our lineup for a press box guy.

why?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
explain our gm trading away a permanent regular and Pk player at the deadline for nothing?

Lindholm wouldn't be a permanent regular when Kadri returns from injury, and Petan might turn into a regular next season if Ennis leaves as a UFA and a winger is traded, which then also opens a spot for Moore?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
but he was a permanent fixture when kadri was healthy.

He was also the regular C on the fourth line until he and Gauthier switched spots. Less valuable as a W than a C on this team. The PK should carry on just fine with Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, Marner, Tavares, etc.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
now that I've had a chance to think about it you know what is sad?

we chose Lindholm over Leivo because Lindholm was apparently better in babcock's eye and could PK

Now both lindholm is being replaced by Moore/Ennis who do not PK either

The irony of the situation is hilarious and sad at the same time

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

we chose Lindholm over Leivo because Lindholm was apparently better in babcock's eye and could PK

Once you're in babcock's doghouse for whatever reason, there' s no getting out it seems

member 262271

we traded a permanent regular fixture in our lineup for a press box guy.

why?
I know you're referring to Petan's situation in Winnipeg, but man am I worried that will also happen here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
so, essentially, the GM wanted Moore to play instead of Lindholm, while the coach preferred Lindholm.
Why wait so long to move him out?
You think he would have waived him and brought up Moore at the very least.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

This isn't the whole truth. Regardless, Leivo was not going to be given a shot in our top 9, and that is the right decision... Our management would rather give Lindholm 4th line usage than Leivo, and give Leivo an opportunity to prove himself elswhere. This is very noble of them... It doesn't mean they though Lindholm was the better (or even more useful) player.

Reactions: Bluelines

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Winnipeg Jets fan here. I followed Nic Petan since his Portland Winterhawk days. This is a kid who LED the ENTIRE CHL (OHL, QMJHL and WHL) in scoring as a 17 year old! Those lofty numbers are usually reserved for returning 20 year olds. Also, was a top line centre for Team Canada WJHC, led team Canada in scoring, and was a top 3 for the tournament. Everywhere he's played, he's put up big numbers. His points per game in the AHL are spectacular considering his age.

That all said, Paul Maurice never gave him much of an opportunity to succeed at the NHL level. He's bounced from healthy scratch, to fourth line player avg 6 mins per game. He's never been given the opportunity to play higher in the line-up with more offensive minded players. Maurice heavily favours crash and bang hockey for his bottom six which is why less skilled players always got the nod over Petan.

Nic Petan is very clever with the puck, shifty along the boards, and great at threading the needle when it comes to passing. Obviously, results will vary drastically; however, trying to describe Nic Petan's "style of game" - he'd be similar to Nic Backstrom in Washington.

If Babcock gives him a real opportunity with some skilled players, he'll shine.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Former notorious junior scorer, solid AHL player. He hasn't been able to replicate that in the NHL.

I like the value for him given his age/junior career. Ennis coming back into the lineup makes it a no brainer for us and we get a decent NHL'er for next year if we have to shuffle the deck

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Former notorious junior scorer, solid AHL player. He hasn't been able to replicate that in the NHL.

I like the value for him given his age/junior career. Ennis coming back into the lineup makes it a no brainer for us and we get a decent NHL'er for next year if we have to shuffle the deck

Correction: He's yet to be given an opportunity to replicate it in the NHL. It's simply impossible to put up numbers playing 6 or 7 mins a game on the 4th line. Doesn't happen on any team. He needs a coach (or a situation) that gives him a solid 15 game block playing 13-16 mins with other high end talent, and then we can somewhat determine if he "has what it takes". Jets have had the luxury of excessively talented young forwards (Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Roslovic) ... add to that vets (Wheeler, Little, Perreault), and Petan was always on the outside looking in.

On pretty much any other team, he'd have been given an opportunity by now.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
My comment was in response to Babcock being out the door if they go down to the Bruins, not a general complaint. The Leafs weak spot was not LD. Their record since the Muzzin deal has not been spectacular. I love the acquisition but with no RD solution they have not really made themselves tougher to play against. If you believe this is a Cup ready lineup just waiting to gel then Babcock should be worried. If you believe when a club passes them in the standings since the Muzzin trade, and still makes an add is something that Dubas should have paid attention to, then maybe KD should be looking in the mirror if they go out early.

I think Babs is closer to the axe, only because he has been around longer, and its easier for Shanny to say they need a change behind the bench, rather than axe Dubas, who was just promoted. In defence of Dubas, he may be 100% against rentals and have been busting his hump for some solutions with term. If the most he could handle was an own rental of Gardiner, then his hands were somewhat tied. I doubt Shanny would fault him too much for that. I know I wanted adds with at least another year so I will almost always support building vs renting moves.

yaaa... Babcock is nowhere near the axe. Sorry man

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
of course we not gonna miss his offense, i dont even know why people bring it up, its not all about offense

we are super weak at center depth if injuries hit and par can play center or wing, and he was 1 of our top 5 PK forwards, and played a super solid defensive game for us

hes not gonna be missed that much at all but our center depth in the marlies is terrible, no1 can come in and give us nhl center minutes, and now we need someone to step in and give us good PK time too...par isnt that useful to us, but man hes more useful than petan right now

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
so, essentially, the GM wanted Moore to play instead of Lindholm, while the coach preferred Lindholm.

Sure Zeke, that's the story...... Babcock hates the young skilled guys

Maple Leafs ready to dance with the players that have gotten them this far | The Star

Moore may be the biggest beneficiary. A favourite of coach Mike Babcock, Dubas promised Moore would get a good long look.

we’ve got a couple in the minors that we think are ready to play for our team and they’ve been there long enough

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Complaining about 4th liners who play 5 minutes a night. What a time to be alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad