Confirmed with Link: [TOR/WPG] TOR trades Par Lindholm to WPG for Nic Petan

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
of course we not gonna miss his offense, i dont even know why people bring it up, its not all about offense

we are super weak at center depth if injuries hit and par can play center or wing, and he was 1 of our top 5 PK forwards, and played a super solid defensive game for us

hes not gonna be missed that much at all but our center depth in the marlies is terrible, no1 can come in and give us nhl center minutes, and now we need someone to step in and give us good PK time too...par isnt that useful to us, but man hes more useful than petan right now

Just fyi that Petan can play center or wing as well...

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
funny how this board used to laugh at Montreal when they were loaded with smurfs but now that we keep adding them all of sudden they've become the way to win , lol
it's unfortunate you've been in a coma and haven't really kept up with the state of the league. Big and slow teams like LA suck now, and small skilled teams like Tampa are dominating the league

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
funny how this board used to laugh at Montreal when they were loaded with smurfs but now that we keep adding them all of sudden they've become the way to win , lol

If my memory serves me correctly, that nickname tended to be used mostly during the Burke era when the Habs consistently made the playoffs while the big gritty Leafs had trouble getting out of the bottom 10...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
it's unfortunate you've been in a coma and haven't really kept up with the state of the league. Big and slow teams like LA suck now, and small skilled teams like Tampa are dominating the league

Look at the Oilers recent attempt at a rebuild.

They got rid of skill, brought in larger gritty guys to surround McDavid/LD/RNH and the results speak for themselves

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If my memory serves me correctly, that nickname tended to be used mostly during the Burke era when the Habs consistently made the playoffs while the big gritty Leafs had trouble getting out of the bottom 10...

The Montreal Smurf’s were a pain in the big bruins asses.

If our entire roster had the piss and vinegar johnsson and kapanen have... the leafs would not have to worry about not being able to compete with other teams toughness.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think it was more about taking away Babcock's toys, TBH. There is zero reason Lindholm should have been playing ahead of Moore.

Babcock gets infatuated with 'gud people' who try hard but are just not very good at the hockey game. Probably a deep rooted psychological issue where he is trying to make up for his own failed hockey career by overplaying plugs who remind him of himself as a player.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Lindholm showed next to nothing and was a goner. There's no way they would resign him. I suspect they were reluctant to bench him either because of promises made at signing or not to damage their reputation with European free agents, but I'm just guessing and I really wouldn't know.

Sending Lindholm to Winnipeg cleared a spot for Moore, who seems to be a better player and in whom the Leafs seem to have more confidence, without parking Lindholm in the press box for the rest of his contract. If, in fact, the Leafs had not wanted to do that (put Lindholm in the press box) then sending him to Winnipeg for free just to clear the roster spot would have been a win, but again I just don't know.

Petan might be something or he could be nothing too. He is a long shot to make the roster next year. He likely to either sit on the press box, get claimed on waivers or get sent to the Marlies next year, and I wouldn't say that any one of the three outcomes is more likely than he others.

I would say this was a case of Toronto sending Winnipeg a player who was not in their plans, and vice versa. Most likely it is nothing for nothing (Scott Harrington for Kerby Rychel), but maybe not.

I like the deal because after the TDL Trevor Moore was on the ice and the guys he played with looked a whole lot better. Did you see the Goat smile when he scored a goal? For reasons completely outside my knowledge, that would not have ha

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
^ I'm too long-winded to post on my phone.

It wouldn't happen with Lindholm on the roster.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
so players are either big and slow or small and fast ?

i guess Dubas really f***ed up signing the big and slow Mathews for 11m plus dollars

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Petan not playing in Winnipeg had nothing to do with his hustle and competitiveness. Those attributes are welcome additions. I don't think he skates any better than Connor Brown so temper your expectations. Chances are the coach is going to like him more than that element of the fanbase who thinks every player on the team should have elite skill.

I don't think Dubas was shopping Lindholm. I think he got a player he had on his radar and the ask (Lindholm) was so little.

There was a player acquired by the Red Wings in 1993 from Winnipeg for cash who had Team Canada pedigree, hustle and unfulfilled scoring expectations. That trade turned out pretty well.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Look at the Oilers recent attempt at a rebuild.

They got rid of skill, brought in larger gritty guys to surround McDavid/LD/RNH and the results speak for themselves
Size does not equal slow or lack of skill.
That’s what needs to be kept in mind.
Washington, Boston, Vegas, Blues, Jets, Nashville, etc. all have heavier players.

Boston knew when to get rid of Lucic based on salary/decline.
The same way you get rid of JVR or Patches before 7 million dollars.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Petan not playing in Winnipeg had nothing to do with his hustle and competitiveness. Those attributes are welcome additions. I don't think he skates any better than Connor Brown so temper your expectations. Chances are the coach is going to like him more than that element of the fanbase who thinks every player on the team should have elite skill.

I don't think Dubas was shopping Lindholm. I think he got a player he had on his radar and the ask (Lindholm) was so little.

There was a player acquired by the Red Wings in 1993 from Winnipeg for cash who had Team Canada pedigree, hustle and unfulfilled scoring expectations. That trade turned out pretty well.

Who was the player the Wings acquired?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It is nice he scored, but lets not overstate things. This is a 4th liner (admittedly one that fits the Leafs 4th line ethos of speed and skill over physicality). Fans shouldn't be setting themselves up for another Jiri Tlusty situation by overhyping a bottom-line player having a hot start.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Father says the Leafs are the new age team that will lead the way in showing how speed and skill can win you a cup. The popular thought is you need size and toughness but future teams will model themselves after the Leafs and picking up players like Petan!!!
:handclap::handclap::handclap:
maxresdefault.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->