Confirmed with Link: [TOR/WPG] TOR trades Par Lindholm to WPG for Nic Petan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Their record in that time would be a 115 point pace?

The Muzzin acquisition gave us a solution. Babcock is just not using it.

Dubas did mention that him and Babcock discussed trying different pairings to evaluate certain strengths and weaknesses in different pairings. It makes sense, even if we already know who is good/bad to a certain degree. It would explain the wild division of minutes over the last week.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Petan is an injury replacement for top 9 wingers. Good to have the added depth but I don't see him as a regular until next season if at all.

They need to unload C.Brown and his contract to create space.

It would've been better to unload Gardiner or Zaitsev for a dependable RHD.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
well to be fair, Muzzin was 2nd among D in TOI for us against Buffalo. We'll see if Babcock continues to use him more
Yeah I mainly referred to having a RD solution. Rielly and Dermott should be that solution, in my opinion.

Dubas did mention that him and Babcock discussed trying different pairings to evaluate certain strengths and weaknesses in different pairings. It makes sense, even if we already know who is good/bad to a certain degree. It would explain the wild division of minutes over the last week.
I didn't know that. That's very interesting.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Finish?
How about starting? We were rocked by Boston in the first 2 games of the series.
People remember game 7 because it’s the last one but win one of those first 2 games and there is no 7.

So true. Kadri's emotion overflow/emotion explosion sealed the series.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well we kept Bracco and we got Petan. Between the 2 of them I think one will work one for sure maybe both. Bracco still needs to work on his leg strength and up/down ice speed game. To a lesser degree so does Petan. If he does then Bracco's unreal vision and skill will take over like Marner.
My point was Petan does not have the high end vision and skill of Bracco but he is farther along on this NHL push because he is stronger.
Lets hope both guys work out because we need backup next year and following year as we are a CAP team now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can't figure out why Winnipeg would do this trade?

The same reason the Leafs traded Leivo for a minimal return. Give someone a fresh start mostly. They also probably liked Lindholms ability to kill penalties at a cheap price but uh... yeah.

Reactions: BallardEra

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That's very interesting and gives me some hope. It they're discussing this issue and trying different things then that's good as it shows they understand that there's something that needs to be figured out. As long as the discussion isn't something like this:

Dubas - What do you think about trying XYZ?
Babcock - That's interesting, I'll give that some thought for sure (while mentally giving him the finger)

Reactions: Erdinger

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
The same reason the Leafs traded Leivo for a minimal return. Give someone a fresh start mostly. They also probably liked Lindholms ability to kill penalties at a cheap price but uh... yeah.
I just feel like they could have found something better than Lindholm, but I'm happy with it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Their D core got them to the conference finals .

With a goalie posting a .927sv% in those two series wins.

When he posted a .906sv% in the conference finals, they got taken out quickly in 5gms

The Leafs did add Muzzin but they still are playing Hainsey a lot and the D has more question marks than Winnipeg's for a reason.

leafs give up fewer shots and goals than the jets, and they rank about the same in sv% (5th and 7th).

Wheeler and Scheifele have more points than Tavares and Marner(not that its the be all end all) and like I said, Laine has been having a down year. The forward group is a lot closer than you're giving them credit for.

I think it's quite a close matchup.

Matthews - Scheifele
Tavares - Wheeler
Marner - Laine

Nylander - Ehlers
Kappy - Connor
Kadri - Hayes

Johnsson - Little
Hyman - Lowry
Marleau - Perreault

Brown - Tanev
Goat - Copp
Moore - Roslovic

Ennis - Hendricks
Petan - lindholm

It's actually an amazingly similar comp in both style and performance....except, imo, with the Leafs having a clearly superior top-3.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm also under the impression that you feel Babcock is messing up, I would just add that he's a part of the team so if with another coach we'd be the 2nd best team and with him we're the 5th best or whatever, then we're the 5th best, period.

Babcock is a good coach. But he's extreme in how he deploys his players compared to the rest of the caoches in the league. And he seems to be getting more stubborn with age.

Agreed. IMO our biggest problem right now is our defence pairings. Hainsey had the most ice time of any player last night and Muzzin on the 3rd pair ... if this is going to be our plan against Boston I'd consider firing the coach now TBH. I appreciate what Babcock has done for us but I'm not sure how much I trust him going forward TBH.

It's quite crazy that it seems our coach is going to once again use Hainsey against the bergeron line despite what happened last year, even though his GM got a quality upgrade on him, that's for sure.

Are 1 goal games really that dependant on luck? When/how was this established?

It's not completely luck, but when you look across any sport, the good teams can be seen clearly by winning by big margins often and not losing by big margins very often. Whenever you compare teams just based on their records in 1-goal games, you see a whole lotta noise and weird results.

I do think goal differential is significant, not sure how significant though. WSH wasn't great in that category last season so there is that.

WSH is a weird case. They don't play the right way at all. Not last year, not this year. There is a decent chance that the cup run was just a fluke, with kuznetsov performing like an mvp caliber player.

I just had a quick peek and at a glance it looks like you're right, the West really is weak. Not sure how much that detracts from Calgary's record, no idea at all in fact how to do that calculation but yeah, the West seems to suck.

yeah it's terrible.

I don't know if you can calculate it exactly, but I can't not hold it against the surprising Flames somewhat. Even just a handful more games against bottom feeders can explain the difference in the standings.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
well, i mean, i don't think it's for nothing. We get a younger player with team control, and we also get moore more playing time

so, essentially, the GM wanted Moore to play instead of Lindholm, while the coach preferred Lindholm.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't really care who wanted whom. Par sucked. Moore is clearly a much superior player. The team improved that's all I care about.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
so, essentially, the GM wanted Moore to play instead of Lindholm, while the coach preferred Lindholm.
I didn't mean it in the sense that one wanted a certain player to play, the benefit of the trade is giving up an expiring player for a younger one with team control, additional benefit of this in my eyes and it appears some others is that moore gets to play now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't really care who wanted whom. Par sucked. Moore is clearly a much superior player. The team improved that's all I care about.

well, I agree, except that i do care that one of our decision makers preferred to play Lindholm over Moore, and I'm glad that his boss disagreed with him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I can't figure out why Winnipeg would do this trade?

Petan hasn't played much for them this season. Maybe they see Lindholm having more of a role? Probably helps WPG more now (and also the future if he's re-signed), and Toronto in the future (not being a UFA, but maybe also now when he figures into the lineup). It also might be a case where both teams feel they added something without really taking anything away.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
What does father think?

Father says the Leafs are the new age team that will lead the way in showing how speed and skill can win you a cup. The popular thought is you need size and toughness but future teams will model themselves after the Leafs and picking up players like Petan!!!
:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Reactions: Once

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
explain our gm trading away a permanent regular and Pk player at the deadline for nothing?

Petan
PPG at the AHL level, 23 years old, RFA @ end of season.
SCOUTING REPORT
Is a supremely gifted playmaker with plenty of creativity and setup skills. His intelligence goes a long way in all three zones. Competes very intensely, even against much bigger opponents.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lindholm
1 goal in 61 games, 27 years old, UFA @ end of season.
SCOUTING REPORT
Lacks an optimum scoring dimension for the National Hockey League, so he will always be reduced to a bottom-six forward role at the highest level. Also lacks size and strength.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

One guy has top 6 potential , the other guy barely has bottom line potential. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. We get younger, more skilled, seems like enough reasons to make that trade.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Father says the Leafs are the new age team that will lead the way in showing how speed and skill can win you a cup. The popular thought is you need size and toughness but future teams will model themselves after the Leafs and picking up players like Petan!!!
:handclap::handclap::handclap:
Montreal already figured it out by adding Weal.
Winnipeg, Nashville, Boston, Vegas, etc are all screwed.

Reactions: dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad