Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Travis Dermott signs extension with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $874,125)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just to add on your comment about the one way deal He played enough games where the QO had to be a one way deal. Do you know if the 10 day rule applied to QO's? If so then this was not him excepting a QO but him basically negotiating and they finally settled on a one year deal that was equal to his QO. The team might have been negotiating to get him locked into a 2 or 3 year bridge and he decided to take his chances with a one year "show me " deal.

I have pasted the collective bargaining language about why the QO had to be a one way.

In order for any team to retain their rights to a restricted free agent, the team must submit a qualifying offer. This value is based on the RFA’s expiring contract; a base salary greater than or equal to $1MM is only owed a matching offer, while a base salary less than $1MM is owed a qualifying offer of 105% of the base (a base salary less than $660K is owed 110%). New this year is also a rule pertaining to those contracts signed after July 10 for the purpose of burning an entry-level contract. Those players may receive a qualifying offer up to 120% of their base salary. A qualifying offer must also be a one-way contract if the player has played in at least 171 NHL games over the past three seasons combined and at least 51 NHL games in 2019-20, and did not clear waivers this season.
Oh dammit, I didn't factor in that due to the shortened season 2019-20 they quite likely pro-rated the 180 NHL games requirement down to 171 games. That solves the one-way mystery. Thanks.

I don't know about ten day rule. Normally it's a fixed July day that is the deadline for accepting the QO, but this off-season everything is ad hoc.

I'd say with this salary he must've taken the QO. If it was negotiated they probably would've rounded it to 875k.

EDIT: If by 10 say rule you mean the July 10 mentioned, that concerns only the situation where a prospect signs an Entry-Level Contract in the spring and plays a game or ten to burn the first year off of it. They cooked up some kind of simulated way to do that, as there were no games in the spring to do it properly.

The teams actually benefit from that, as the player with his ELC expedited that way won't qualify as a legit RFA at the end of his ELC but his team will still hold his exclusive negotiation rights.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
RFA without arbitration rights who probably would've been off the team if the held out for more money. ( Leafs have plenty of guys already signed who could replace Dermott rather easily imho ) Took a cheap one year deal to prove he deserves to be signed longer term i guess.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
It's funny seeing all these leaf fans hype this up, the dude got 11 points last season. What leverage did his agent have? And yes I'm aware of how he's deployed.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
This is finally an example of one of the younger players taking the fabled hometown discount with the best interest of the team at heart that this young core was supposed to do.

Totally agree with you, although I wonder if Dermott would have done the same if he had had any leverage. Still, imagine where we’d be had the other three taken the hometown discount! It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I think about it!

Reactions: Sundinisagod

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Totally agree with you, although I wonder if Dermott would have done the same if he had had any leverage. Still, imagine where we’d be had the other three taken the hometown discount! It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I think about it!
I notice he had to add a ‘young’ in there to manipulate his point. FYI, mikheyev took a discount too. But so did Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian and Spezza. He took care of that by adding young though. No narrative to push there huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's funny seeing all these leaf fans hype this up, the dude got 11 points last season. What leverage did his agent have? And yes I'm aware of how he's deployed.
"How dare Leafs fans be excited to have a good, young player back on a cheap contract". I never thought I'd see the day where an arbitration, 1-year deal, would rustle someone's jimmies so much.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I notice he had to add a ‘young’ in there to manipulate his point. FYI, mikheyev took a discount too. But so did Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian and Spezza. You took care of that by adding young though. No narrative to push there huh?

Where did I add young?
And these players had no choice BUT to take a hometown discount, seeing as how so much is tied up in 4 forwards, unless our amazing management team could somehow pull millions more out from under a tree.
So either Dubas and Pridham did a piss poor job of pointing that out to “the three”, or worse they had no clue as to how that would impact being able to address other areas of concern, or no one cared how it would affect the team’s roster.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Where did I add young?
And these players had no choice BUT to take a hometown discount, seeing as how so much is tied up in 4 forwards, unless our amazing management team could somehow pull millions more out from under a tree.
So either Dubas and Pridham did a piss poor job of pointing that out to “the three”, or worse they had no clue as to how that would impact being able to address other areas of concern, or no one cared how it would affect the team’s roster.
Not you. The post you replied to. I think dubas has done a great job overall this offseason. Anyone complaining is nit picking big time

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Another example of why I'm liking this offseason!!.. players around the league getting reasonable contracts and not being horribly overpaid like they do every offseason.

There have been lots of examples this offseason so far of good young players getting these cheap contracts where before they would get multi million bridge deals or teams would risk it and overpay now on a long term deal praying it would become a steal down the road.

Sure this is a steal of a deal when considering previous years contracts for good young players like Dermott, but IMO this is what these types of guys that havent really proved themselves should be getting.

Good signing for Leafs and it allows Dermott to prove himself in hopes he can land a better deal next offseason

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Not you. The post you replied to. I think dubas has done a great job overall this offseason. Anyone complaining is nit picking big time

I agree that Dubas has done a good job this offseason. We are a better team now than last season, and with the players we have added to the roster, we should be a harder team to play against.
Hopefully the combination of Thornton, Spezza, and Kerfoot can handle the 3rd and 4th line center position.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Is likely Keefe goes with 7 defenseman every night? It's good to have depth, but there's only 6 spots every game.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Guy had 11pts. Isn't a defensive stopper. And won't be in the top 4 for Toronto this season.

Anything more than what he got is an over payment for this year.

What he'll do in future years is tbd.

That’s exactly what he is. His defense gets overlooked because he doesn’t fit the HF “defensive defenseman” archetype of old, big, slow, and not very good at hockey.

Reactions: Kairi Zaide

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Still beyond me how this guy is playing hockey anywhere but a beer league. Marincin hit the lottery, dude has no business even playing jr. hockey

He’s actually a force at the AHL level. Just one of those guys who has ability (and a 50 foot wingspan) but simply can’t think the game fast enough for the NHL.

I’ll be perfectly happy if he’s a highly paid Marlie all year.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

he has little leverage because Dubas has done a good job finding good value depth on defence this offseason.

in general this is a fine choice for Dermott. Given players want to backload their short term deals this off season, even if he wanted over a mill, he’d probably still want to weight as little of that as possible this season, and more next season.

by signing his QO, he:

a) will make in salary this year probably the same as what he’d want to this year if he signed a larger multi-year deal
b) punt the negotiations for a deal that takes him to UFA into a year where he has arbitration rights
c) get a bit more experience and have more opportunity to prove himself before arbitration

needless to say he should be pretty motivated this year and i look forward to seeing what he does with it

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Hmh, kind of curious: he has actually played 176 NHL games during three previous seasons. That is less than the CBA-mandated 180 games, so he should've been eligible for a two-way QO, but CapFriendly is saying it would be a one-way contract.

Did TOR do a bit of a waivers-proofing there, to make claiming him a somewhat less lucrative idea if he needs to be sent down?

It's 171 games if you're using the 2019-20 shortened season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad