Rumor: TOR to trade Zaitsev + Brown to OTT for Ceci (three more pieces involved. Zaitsev officially waives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Matthews and Nylander have not taken steps forward, though I pin that on them. It’s pretty clear, when watching the ice time allotment, that Babcock is still trying to teach the younger guys how to play to win. Matthews and Nylander either can’t or won’t do it... or they just won’t do it for this coach. Either way, it’s on them.

Matthews went from 2.86 1st year to 3.36 2nd year to now 3.47 pts/60 (1st tied with Marner).
This all while playing with only Johnsson/Kapanen/Brown mostly this year, and not a full Nylander.

It's recency bias. Matthews did take steps forward, but Babcock needs to put his elite players in good situations to succeed.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews went from 2.86 1st year to 3.36 2nd year to now 3.47 pts/60 (1st tied with Marner).
This all while playing with only Johnsson/Kapanen/Brown mostly this year, and not a full Nylander.

It's recency bias. Matthews did take steps forward, but Babcock needs to put his elite players in good situations to succeed.

I agree completely. Any suggestion that Matthews isn't progressing as a player is just blatantly ignoring the facts.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not a chance it is Liljegren, if it's Bracco, people will be upset, but he's not going to surpass anyone on the Leafs right wing anytime soon.

Nylander could easily be moved to the LW. That leaves Marner/Kapanen on the RW. Bracco could potentially slide into the top 9 say a year from now as a cheap, playmaking winger. I am against moving him before we know what we have. He could be useful for us.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Ima guess that Carcone is in this deal.
He’s conspicuously unsigned, when most of his ilk were inked a while ago.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I bet the Leafs get a 2nd from the Sens but they throw a late round pick into the mix too... Sens add a C level prospect

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why? Brown is a black hole, he can only play a defensive role anyways and some of the 700k guys we just got can probably do just the same. Brown is a flop

Brown is still a solid middle line winger that is cost controlled. I don't disagree he had a rough season but I think he's capable of better and I think most teams would agree there.

We had to trade him to free up cap space. It's not a big deal losing him. I just hope there's some form of value back here because I do think the Leafs could have fetched a 2nd round pick for him, which is nothing to scuff at.

So if they send a top 90 pick with Ceci, or maybe a solid young player, it's all good. I expect that. If it's some sort of 6th or 7th round pick in 2022 and/or some AHL contract dump like Goloubef... I'd say it's a little iffy.

Reactions: CelticDruid

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
What's with the weird attachment to someone like Brown? Someone like Trevor Moore can easily just fill his hole.

This city has always overrated the **** out of his type. It's all they know how to do. If Brown was shipped for nothing it would literally not affect this team's prospects whatsoever.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Nylander could easily be moved to the LW. That leaves Marner/Kapanen on the RW. Bracco could potentially slide into the top 9 say a year from now as a cheap, playmaking winger. I am against moving him before we know what we have. He could be useful for us.
Don't have a problem with him in the top 9, but it has to be the right line. He can't be playing on a line with Kadri as a shutdown energy line so that limits where he plays even more. Most don't want him on the 4th line, even if its a line built to be a scoring line. I agree that either Nylander or Kapanen should move to the LW, but I also feel that those 2 should be stapled together, their chemistry together is incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad