Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Tyler Ennis [1 x 650K]

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I've got one up on Discordia, I'm an expert in posting opinions on the internet related to the subject matter at hand! I have a PHD in always being right!

Take that!

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Dubas can sign as many 1 yr 65ok as his heart (the contract limit) desires.

No risk, potential reward. At worst its depth, at best its an impactful player who created internal competition. I wouldnt be surprised if a guy like Ennis has a deal lined up in Europe for like mid season if it goes bad. The Leafs will let him go.

Reactions: AxNjXn

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I smell a trade..also he will compete for 4th line wing I think. Imagine him and Kapenen that's super sonic speed.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think it was more of a stylistic issue. He was not a PKer. That was the main difference between him and the guys who beat him out for playing time. The Leafs were not short of offensively capable guys as it was, and while Leivo is solid defensively, he is not going to beat out Brown or Kapanen in that area either. You also have to take into account that it was not like Leivo was getting passed up by one guy after another. Really, it was only Johnsson and Kapanen, who were two of the Leafs' top prospects + played the defensive game Babcock likes out of his younger guys.

I can not comment on his effort in practice, but I would imagine he is not slumping in that area based on his play on the ice. Always battled hard and was very engaged. It just seems like there were not enough spots for pure scorers, especially when the Leafs did not suffer many injuries. Between the top 9 outside of Matthews (Hyman, Kadri, JvR, Marner, Nylander, Bozak, Brown, Marleau), there were only a total of 4 man games missed. Only one of those games was from a winger (JvR). Babcock is not going to sit any of those top 9 guys in favour of Leivo, and Kapanen and Johnsson were the only two people who really deserved to play over Leivo so they did. It's not like someone else came in and took ice time away from him. Between the two guys who were rightfully ahead of him and the lack of injuries, Leivo (and Fehr and Soshnikov) did not have many opportunities. Somehow, he did still get into 16 games when there were only 24 games missed by guys he was realistically capable of replacing. However, with Martin and Komarov already replaced by Johnsson and Kapanen and Bozak obviously being replaced by Tavares, there was nobody new brought in really to replace JvR (outside of Ennis). That's where Leivo's opportunity comes in. He can play the JvR spot on the PP and he can provide a big body with offensive skill that was lost when JvR left. Ennis is an underwhelming small forward who will need to do a lot to prove he is worth any sort of NHL shot, never mind a consistent one.

When it comes to Leivo, I am not worried about the past. I do not think there is any sort of grudge on the part of Babcock, just no opportunities for him to play. Now, he has been given his opportunity and the spot he has wanted for two years. It's not up to him not to waste it.
Babcock actually praised Leivo for working his butt off. I think it's his skating that's holding him off the team. Kk and Johnsson have blinding speed

Last edited:
Reactions: White Shadow

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I smell a trade..also he will compete for 4th line wing I think. Imagine him and Kapenen that's super sonic speed.
Could also be insurance if Grundstrum doesn't make the cut. Both can be hurried in the A and no loss if Ennis is claimed

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Komarov 219 hits. Ennis 51 hits.
Komarov 190:50 PK ice-time. Ennis 19 seconds.

Comparing apples to oranges. It's like saying a Ferrari is better then a Mack dump truck... until you drop a bucket load of rock on it.

That being said, Ennis played 419 games with Buffalo, and in that time put up 1.99 points/60 which is in the Marleau/Bozak territory.
For the lowest contract amount on the team's radar, what's not to love? Even at a 1.51 points/60 with Minnisota, that's close
to Hyman potential without playing with Matthews and Nylander. Like it or not, the book on the Leafs is non-stop play-making, speed
and agility with no physical presence. Wonder if Ennis is bragging about landing a contract that's 70% of Matthews?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Could also be insurance if Grundstrum doesn't make the cut. Both can be hurried in the A and no loss if Ennis is claimed
Can’t see Grundstrom making it this year with the team’s recent development program, but agreed that Ellis offers some nice depth that can conceivably move up n down the lineup.
One trend? Versatile players signed for depth- both Jooris and Ellis are primarily wingers with some experience at C. One RH, one LH. Offers flexibility.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Komarov 219 hits. Ennis 51 hits.
Komarov 190:50 PK ice-time. Ennis 19 seconds.

Comparing apples to oranges. It's like saying a Ferrari is better then a Mack dump truck... until you drop a bucket load of rock on it.

That being said, Ennis played 419 games with Buffalo, and in that time put up 1.99 points/60 which is in the Marleau/Bozak territory.
For the lowest contract amount on the team's radar, what's not to love? Even at a 1.51 points/60 with Minnisota, that's close
to Hyman potential without playing with Matthews and Nylander. Like it or not, the book on the Leafs is non-stop play-making, speed
and agility with no physical presence. Wonder if Ennis is bragging about landing a contract that's 70% of Matthews?

I agree with this. And I largely agree with the mindset. To me you shouldn't be half pregnant. If you want to play a speed skill game, have that all through the lineup.

That said, we do need guys who can kill penalties. It'll be interesting to see who gets those assignments and the minutes distribution. You need more than 4 players who are trusted to kill penalties. Ennis is likely not one of those guys. Although maybe if he realizes that's the only way to stay in the league, he might focus on doing it well.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Can’t see Grundstrom making it this year with the team’s recent development program, but agreed that Ellis offers some nice depth that can conceivably move up n down the lineup.
One trend? Versatile players signed for depth- both Jooris and Ellis are primarily wingers with some experience at C. One RH, one LH. Offers flexibility.
Agreed but I do give Grundstrum a dark horse chance. If his off season goes well he might make a big step.
I do like the cheap versatile players. One thing I think is we are becoming tougher to play against.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed but I do give Grundstrum a dark horse chance. If his off season goes well he might make a big step.
I do like the cheap versatile players. One thing I think is we are becoming tougher to play against.
There is always the possibility we trade one of Brown,Kappy,Johnsson,Leivo,whoever to get a D which opens room for Grundstrom,Timoshov,Ennis as the season goes by. Maybe not right away, we give the guys we have a chance to show their stuff and build up some trade value. But we have the option. If Grundstrom can come in down the line and do Browns role, it’s an option.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There is always the possibility we trade one of Brown,Kappy,Johnsson,Leivo,whoever to get a D which opens room for Grundstrom,Timoshov,Ennis as the season goes by. Maybe not right away, we give the guys we have a chance to show their stuff and build up some trade value. But we have the option. If Grundstrom can come in down the line and do Browns role, it’s an option.
Ya the depth at wing will show some dividends soon I hope. At the least competition at camp will be amazing. These kids know they better train hard and bring it when they come to camp.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
I love babcock but he's famous for favoring "Gud pros". Ask red wing fans, they were telling us this a long time before Leaf fans started complaining about overusing guys like Komorov and Polak.

It's alright that he has faults, everyone does. It doesn't diminish that he's still one of the top coaches in Hockey. It's almost like the people that complain about Babcock have such a sort memory that they can't remember Wilson, Horachek, etc. I didn't mind Maurice all that much, didn't have much to work with but I'd still take Babs over him any day of the week.

And rumours before was that free agents wouldn't come to TO because of Mike. So according to some the vets did not want to play for him.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I'm big on everyone deserves a opinion, and I would fight for your right for your opinion. But I choose not to agree with your statement, never seen Mike favour anyone, his mantra live right work hard, if you don't follow those rules, you don't play, some vets sit in the press box, ask Martin.
You don't think Hyman/Komarov got special treatment last year?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
At .65/ and people are questioning? At the very least, the Marlies have gained a good addition and the Leafs may have found a steal.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Saying all the right things. We will see at camp, but he's not supplanting Marleau or Hyman on the top two lines. He cheap and another depth player, but I would rather see Leivo get that spot. But this will make Leivo earn it.

Marleau***Matthews****Nylander
Hyman*****Tavares******Marner
Johnsson****Kadri******Kapenen
Leivo******Lindholm******Brown

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Saying all the right things. We will see at camp, but he's not supplanting Marleau or Hyman on the top two lines. He cheap and another depth player, but I would rather see Leivo get that spot. But this will make Leivo earn it.

Marleau***Matthews****Nylander
Hyman*****Tavares******Marner
Johnsson****Kadri******Kapenen
Leivo******Lindholm******Brown

Why do people love leivo. Last yr he did nothing with his chances. Ennis 22pts which isnt great but if you get that from a 4th liner it is. The kid is scary fast huge heart..I'd almost sure bet him to make it out of camp 4th line winger

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ya the depth at wing will show some dividends soon I hope. At the least competition at camp will be amazing. These kids know they better train hard and bring it when they come to camp.
Our RW side is currently:
Nylander
Marner
Kapanen
Brown

If a good deal for a RHD is available with Brown, I’d strongly consider it.
We’d have Grundstrom who can play both wings and Ennis who can play both wings on the 4th line. And Leivo is in there as well.
I’d even consider signing Maroon if we can get a 1 year deal.
Then we could go:

Maroon/Marleau
Hyman
Marleau/Maroon
Johnsson

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Ennis Lindholm Jooris