Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Tyler Ennis [1 x 650K]

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
5 hrs and 9 pages on Tyler wash up Ennis , gotta love this board lol

This board is awesome. Yes... but Leafs fans are on another level. :laugh:

Like some Isles fans were saying... hope Tavares likes the limelight come October... hes going to be a household name and be hounded by Media outlets and promoters everywhere. x2 for being a Local too

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Babcock is big on out of game effort. He's said before that if you aren't playing, and want to play, work your ass off in practice, be in the weight room, and constantly put in effort.

Leivo doesn't appear to have that trait to him. Which is fine if you are an established player, but Leivo is a guy trying to get playing time, and obviously that isn't there if Babcock isn't playing him.
Babcock doesn't maintain that standard fir everyone though. Favourites his vets undermining himself in the process.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Ennis Jooris Brown

I still see 1 more forward that we'll add to battle for a 4th line role
Those first 3 lines...wow, what a nightmare matchup problem that's going to be for coaches. Marner's going to score 95 pts this season with Tavares or Matthews. I think Lindholm is ahead of Jooris on the depth chart but Ennis on the 4th line could do quite a bit of damage. We might as well load up the 4th line with speed and skill instead of grit mainly because at this time, we don't have skilled grit.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
man its not like leivo is up against stiff competition for that 12th spot every year...if you cant crack lineup over leos, and martins, and ennis caliber players, then well what can you do
Leo edge was always he was a valuable PKer. To make it on the 4th line on a Babs team, you need to provide either toughness like Martin or the ability to kill penalties.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Those first 3 lines...wow, what a nightmare matchup problem that's going to be for coaches. Marner's going to score 95 pts this season with Tavares or Matthews. I think Lindholm is ahead of Jooris on the depth chart but Ennis on the 4th line could do quite a bit of damage. We might as well load up the 4th line with speed and skill instead of grit mainly because at this time, we don't have skilled grit.

We have enough depth right now to play 3 lines almost the whole game in all situations. 4th line could be used 5 mins or less in games we are trailing in from early on or used for more in games we are controlling. The teams overpowered like crazy.

Reactions: PickleRick

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
With the limited ice time our 4th line will likely be getting, these are the types of low risk high reward veteran signings we should be making. Hopefully, he'll regain some of his scoring touch with more time to have recovered from his concussion issues. I remember he used to torch us all the time.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
This made me laugh.

ennis.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Like some Isles fans were saying... hope Tavares likes the limelight come October... hes going to be a household name and be hounded by Media outlets and promoters everywhere. x2 for being a Local too

If Kessel can produce under these circumstances Tavares should do it in a breeze. Right?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Can't really complain about any buryable contract especially not a league min one. Don't expect it to work out but unless there's someone else to use the contract spot on there's no downside.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011

I don't see him being a big marketing success-- maybe it's just nerves, but from what I 've seen so far he's got the personality of an ironing board

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

for the record.. its not really like this. Theres enough sports teams and entertainers of value in Toronto and its a super multicultural city so its not like people are gonna chill on his door step. He'll be fine.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Babcock is big on out of game effort. He's said before that if you aren't playing, and want to play, work your ass off in practice, be in the weight room, and constantly put in effort.

Leivo doesn't appear to have that trait to him. Which is fine if you are an established player, but Leivo is a guy trying to get playing time, and obviously that isn't there if Babcock isn't playing him.

I think it was more of a stylistic issue. He was not a PKer. That was the main difference between him and the guys who beat him out for playing time. The Leafs were not short of offensively capable guys as it was, and while Leivo is solid defensively, he is not going to beat out Brown or Kapanen in that area either. You also have to take into account that it was not like Leivo was getting passed up by one guy after another. Really, it was only Johnsson and Kapanen, who were two of the Leafs' top prospects + played the defensive game Babcock likes out of his younger guys.

I can not comment on his effort in practice, but I would imagine he is not slumping in that area based on his play on the ice. Always battled hard and was very engaged. It just seems like there were not enough spots for pure scorers, especially when the Leafs did not suffer many injuries. Between the top 9 outside of Matthews (Hyman, Kadri, JvR, Marner, Nylander, Bozak, Brown, Marleau), there were only a total of 4 man games missed. Only one of those games was from a winger (JvR). Babcock is not going to sit any of those top 9 guys in favour of Leivo, and Kapanen and Johnsson were the only two people who really deserved to play over Leivo so they did. It's not like someone else came in and took ice time away from him. Between the two guys who were rightfully ahead of him and the lack of injuries, Leivo (and Fehr and Soshnikov) did not have many opportunities. Somehow, he did still get into 16 games when there were only 24 games missed by guys he was realistically capable of replacing. However, with Martin and Komarov already replaced by Johnsson and Kapanen and Bozak obviously being replaced by Tavares, there was nobody new brought in really to replace JvR (outside of Ennis). That's where Leivo's opportunity comes in. He can play the JvR spot on the PP and he can provide a big body with offensive skill that was lost when JvR left. Ennis is an underwhelming small forward who will need to do a lot to prove he is worth any sort of NHL shot, never mind a consistent one.

When it comes to Leivo, I am not worried about the past. I do not think there is any sort of grudge on the part of Babcock, just no opportunities for him to play. Now, he has been given his opportunity and the spot he has wanted for two years. It's not up to him not to waste it.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Didn't Innis play with Tavares and Kadri on the Canadian JR team? Love this signing.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Babcock doesn't maintain that standard fir everyone though. Favourites his vets undermining himself in the process.
I'm big on everyone deserves a opinion, and I would fight for your right for your opinion. But I choose not to agree with your statement, never seen Mike favour anyone, his mantra live right work hard, if you don't follow those rules, you don't play, some vets sit in the press box, ask Martin.

Reactions: Darth Menace

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I'm big on everyone deserves a opinion, and I would fight for your right for your opinion. But I choose not to agree with your statement, never seen Mike favour anyone, his mantra live right work hard, if you don't follow those rules, you don't play, some vets sit in the press box, ask Martin.
I love babcock but he's famous for favoring "Gud pros". Ask red wing fans, they were telling us this a long time before Leaf fans started complaining about overusing guys like Komorov and Polak.

It's alright that he has faults, everyone does. It doesn't diminish that he's still one of the top coaches in Hockey. It's almost like the people that complain about Babcock have such a sort memory that they can't remember Wilson, Horachek, etc. I didn't mind Maurice all that much, didn't have much to work with but I'd still take Babs over him any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad