Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Tyler Ennis [1 x 650K]

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
highly skilled guy that maybe is willing to change his game and become a premier 3rd-4th line defensive player with offensive ability. Babcock has a history of relying heavily on certain reclamation type players who work hard for him, and he can rely on. Really like this signing.

Is Ennis historically a good defensive player?

Not any better than Leivo.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Des real gud pros komorov on the pp hyman 3d liner on 1st line this is special

Hyman is a guy winning his 1v1 battle for the puck all the time and giving it to matthews/nylander regularly like what Tom Wilson did in Washington with ovechkin and Kuznetsov. Like what's Dupuis did a long time with crosby and now Guentzel. That's something called complementarity in hockey terms

Komarov finishef with 42 second/ game in PP, 11th amount leaf foward...

so what's your point?!?!??!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah, that’s fair. He’s been boss on the Marlies.
And am sure he’d be fine, but there’s so many good bodies ahead of him...and no rush.
Ideally, I’m hoping no young wingers get traded soon....but, it’s looking more and more like a possibility.
What I really like to hear is "there's no rush" :yo:

Sep 18, 2009
Hyman is a guy winning his 1v1 battle for the puck all the time and giving it to matthews/nylander regularly like what Tom Wilson did in Washington with ovechkin and Kuznetsov. Like what's Dupuis did a long time with crosby and now Guentzel. That's something called complementarity in hockey terms

My point is that Babcock's lines are terrible. I could make better lines than Babcock.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Why do people love leivo. Last yr he did nothing with his chances. Ennis 22pts which isnt great but if you get that from a 4th liner it is. The kid is scary fast huge heart..I'd almost sure bet him to make it out of camp 4th line winger
Because of his strengths.
His playing time has been pretty sporadic too, given the good health on the team.
Appreciating him doesn’t prevent appreciating Ennis’ different strengths.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Right. Leivo has a solid shot that, if it doesn't go in the net, tends to produce high danger rebounds. Ennis has been a lousy shooter for the last 3 years.. a whole 5% shooting percentage, yes 5%. Only if he somehow rediscovers his shot will he have a... shot of playing on the Leafs this year.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If Kessel can produce under these circumstances Tavares should do it in a breeze. Right?

I think so... according to Isles fans, and mainly i never really watched tavares until he played us or when in Team Canada.

The guy went from flip flops and grunge sweats to now the tailored suits and perfected coifs. Im assuming he went from jeep wrangler to an Audi. Its probably coming of age - young 20s to late 20s.

Kessel was always the meh whatever guy... lol @ the hotdog bs.

JT should be fine... when his jerseys start
flying, and companies start using him as a brand ambassador - we'll see how hes doin lol

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
My point is that Babcock's lines are terrible. I could make better lines than Babcock.

Trotz do the same thing, should be a bad coach
Quenneville did it with guy like shaw, bicker, etc. with Toews...
Pittsburgh with Crosby/Dupuis and later sullivan with Crosby/sheary with kessel on 3rd line (1st of 2 stanley cup in a row)
Lak with Kopitar/Brown

All those coach have probably chosen terrible line's too but they all won stanley cup...

It's not because you sending your best offensive player together that there will have a chemistry

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i see both ennis and leivo making the team as our 12 and 13th forward...the remaining cap money after our RFAs sign, i expect dubas to look for a vet C and vet D, and not an any more wingers

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

I hope we can have Hyman play on his natural side, though. Nylander, off-wing, is a much more assertive distributor as well.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Finally decided to look into Ennis analytics to see what Dubas saw in him and it makes sense.

His corsi of 47.03% is pretty meh (and average for the team) but his 53.07% SCF and 59.46% HDCF are both career highs and are probably why its a good idea to roll the dice on him.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Nice depth signing that only has upside.

Competition for the bottom of the roster is a great thing. Depth is a great thing. If Leivo can't win a spot in the lineup then too bad so sad for him. Same for Grundstrom. Forcing players to earn their minutes is the ideal situation and if they can't then they'll be shipped out of town ala Soshnikov or help give the Marlies a boost.

The cream will rise to the top!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nice depth signing that only has upside.

Competition for the bottom of the roster is a great thing. Depth is a great thing. If Leivo can't win a spot in the lineup then too bad so sad for him. Same for Grundstrom. Forcing players to earn their minutes is the ideal situation and if they can't then they'll be shipped out of town ala Soshnikov or help give the Marlies a boost.

The cream will rise to the top!

Exactly this. I also think people overestimate our forward depth, We lost 3 regulars this off-season and Tavares only replaces one of them. We're only deep in prospects who aren't ready for the NHL yet which doesn't help us at all in the present.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Ennis signs with Leafs: ‘I have a chip on my shoulder and I want to prove a lot of people wrong’
That Ennis has his foot firmly in the Leafs’ door after signing a one-year, $650,000 US contract on Friday is, the Edmonton native figured during a phone interview with the Toronto Sun, a great start.

“It’s no secret it has been a frustrating go for me the last little while and I am prepared and excited and ready to work and grateful for the opportunity in Toronto,” Ennis said.

“There is definitely frustration over the last couple of years. I have a chip on my shoulder and I want to prove a lot of people wrong. I think it builds character. It was refreshing to talk to Toronto and get a clean and clear outlook on things."

“I’m really just motivated — that would be the best word — to have a great season.”
“I’m confident in my talent and my abilities and I feel like I haven’t been able to show that recently,” Ennis said. “I felt restricted and I am ready to get my swagger back and show people what I can do."

“(The Leafs) don’t see me as the player who has had some struggles the last couple of years. They see me as the player in the past who has been successful."

“I have played left, right and centre and I have been successful at all positions at different times, so I am happy to be slotted in wherever. It’s a really deep roster, so I think anywhere is a good spot to be.”

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Much better then Levio. People are going to be surprised just how good he will be this coming season and a player who can play up in the line up if needed. Do not let the low cost fool you there is a lot of game in him still and he got out of a horrible situation. With his buy out and his contract he is being well paid. I do not think many watch him play last year.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I like that he's an under sized, speedy guy with a chip on his shoulder. Never underestimate the little guy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Much better then Levio. People are going to be surprised just how good he will be this coming season and a player who can play up in the line up if needed. Do not let the low cost fool you there is a lot of game in him still and he got out of a horrible situation. With his buy out and his contract he is being well paid. I do not think many watch him play last year.

I saw him at his best when he was in Buffalo. Was not even overly impressed with him then either. He was a solid scorer and playmaker, but that's about it. Now, it seems like he can not even do that, so what is he going to bring? He went from playing poorly in Buffalo to playing probably even worse in Minnesota, who was a great team. His injury really took a lot out of him, and now he just is not the same.

He's depth and insurance. If the Leafs wanted someone to replace Leivo in the top 12, they would have got someone much better and probably someone with much more size. They are okay with Ennis because he may still have some upside and he can play all three forward spots (although center is iffy at this point).

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

For some reason i believe you keep up to speed on players skating quality ( i trust your input on it anyways) . I think i would enjoy a thread on JT's improved skating since being drafted.

A weakness he started with and is now likely a strength with his 210 6'1" frame and cycling abilities.

Would really like to stop reading continuously in post that he is a wrak skater.

I would appreciate a thread from you on it ;))

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->