Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Lehtonen has played RD before, including for Finland at the WHC. Those who have watched him, believe he is equally competent on the Right Side.

I am surprised by this signing, but in a very good way. I just didn't think he'd choose us, but I suppose we need a guy, particularly if he can work out on the right side. Let's assume for a moment, that he works out, and is effective as a second pairing RHD. I appreciate that Dermott has upside, but if we could move him, and a forward for a Manson type guy, or just sign a Tanev/Hamonic to play with Rielly, our D might not be too bad.

Rielly Manson/Tanev/Hamonic
Muzzin Lehtonen
Sandin/Dermott Holl

I mean, that's starting to look a lot better than where we've been...

Alternatively, you move Rielly for Parayko as an example, and have plenty of options moving forward too.

I like the world championship more than most in N.A, but the rink size and depending which country they play against has to be considered.

Kivihalme looked good on a hybrid rink for a good team in Karpat last season. How far down the depth chart is he now?

I don't think this makes Dermott anymore likely for a move. That seems quite rash IMO.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I like the world championship more than most in N.A, but the rink size and depending which country they play against has to be considered.

Kivihalme looked good on a hybrid rink for a good team in Karpat last season. How far down the depth chart is he now?

I don't think this makes Dermott anymore likely for a move. That seems quite rash IMO.

Kivhalme was the Finnish Karlsson and Mikko is the Finnish Bobby Orr. :thumbu:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Rielly isn't exactly the Bobby Orr of our Leafs, but, whatever. His name is also spelt R I E L L Y.

See you in a couple of months. Stay safe.

Who cares how you spell it. It’s idiotic to think trading Rielly is the answer. Unless Seth Jones is coming back I have zero interest in moving our best home grown d man in what 20 years.

We have two players in Dermott and Sandin who fill the last pairing D man spot until they blow past Muzzin. Both are undersized PMD with upside. One has a higher ceiling and doesn’t have to be protected in the expansion draft. We don’t need 5 LHD, use Dermott as a trade chip. It’s a simple as that.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Barrie? Dermott is a good transitional defender who plays a very tight gap

Barrie ain't doing that

I'd be happy for him to go on the right with Muzzin and use Holl with Rielly if they are the best equipped players we've got for those roles since I doubt a saviour is coming to play the top pair RD anytime soon
With a flat cap I think there is a pretty good chance we will see this. Maybe a bottom pairing of Sandin + Lehtonen

Reactions: Kiwi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Barrie? Dermott is a good transitional defender who plays a very tight gap

Barrie ain't doing that

I'd be happy for him to go on the right with Muzzin and use Holl with Rielly if they are the best equipped players we've got for those roles since I doubt a saviour is coming to play the top pair RD anytime soon

I meant more in the sense that their defensive reads are bad, especially under pressure. We saw how that turned out with the Rielly-Barrie pairing, although it was still usually a net positive because of their offensive games. Dermott's a good workhorse physically if he has someone else do the thinking for him. I'm sure it's a bias because his turnovers are memorable (Gardiner syndrome), but his headfake into an icing move he uses on the breakout really hurts his pairing in the long run by forcing them to play more D than they need to.

Again, maybe it clicks somewhere along the way like it did with Stralman. I still wouldn't put him with a offense-first partner until he shows us more.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Would he have signed with the Leafs if he had been told that he's projected to be on the 3rd pairing?

1odbov.jpg

EXAAAAACTLY. I'm f***ing hyped about this move. Almost as much as the JT signing (seriously).
Dubas is a beauty, fixed our D problems overnight. We're set!!!
He'll be on that top pairing with Rielly.

Rielly-Lehtonen
Muzzin-Dermott
Sandin-Holl

LOOKS GOOD TO ME.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
With a flat cap I think there is a pretty good chance we will see this. Maybe a bottom pairing of Sandin + Lehtonen

I think we will bring in an experienced RD who can slide up the lineup if we get problems as well as insurance, a cheap Ceci type if you will

I meant more in the sense that their defensive reads are bad, especially under pressure. We saw how that turned out with the Rielly-Barrie pairing, although it was still usually a net positive because of their offensive games. Dermott's a good workhorse physically if he has someone else do the thinking for him. I'm sure it's a bias because his turnovers are memorable (Gardiner syndrome), but his headfake into an icing move he uses on the breakout really hurts his pairing in the long run by forcing them to play more D than they need to.

Again, maybe it clicks somewhere along the way like it did with Stralman. I still wouldn't put him with a offense-first partner until he shows us more.

He's not great in his own zone but he does defend well in transition, he's one of the few guys on the team that can, Barrie can't even take the pass a 2 on 1, he's ******* awful in every defensive situation

As I've said, I've got no problem with Muzzin and Dermott playing together since there's only about 4 realistic top 4 options on the team next season

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Who cares how you spell it. It’s idiotic to think trading Rielly is the answer. Unless Seth Jones is coming back I have zero interest in moving our best home grown d man in what 20 years.

We have two players in Dermott and Sandin who fill the last pairing D man spot until they blow past Muzzin. Both are undersized PMD with upside. One has a higher ceiling and doesn’t have to be protected in the expansion draft. We don’t need 5 LHD, use Dermott as a trade chip. It’s a simple as that.
I'm pretty sure Morgan Rielly cares about it being spelled correctly!

He may be our best home grown D man in 20 years, however, he's still not that great a D that trading him would never be an option.

I'd trade Morgan Rielly for Colton Parayko.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Tidy asset recruitment right there. I hope he does well but players look better playing with our offense we have top of the lineup. No way to posters suggestions that Rielly or Dermott be moved. Rielly not a chance, he’s a franchise defenseman. Now a crazy expectation on Rielly’s next contract is different. We need to get a fair deal for both sides.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He may be our best home grown D man in 20 years, however, he's still not that great a D that trading him would never be an option.

I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t even if Parayko was the cheaper contract. Rielly is just better. Why would you want to pay $500,000 more for two seasons for less talent. The under valuation of Rielly is bewildering. Both become ufas in two more seasons. Its sideways at best. Rielly is cheaper and more talented.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Lehtonen's coach said he's better on the left side and only played limited minutes on the right.

Maybe move Dermott to RD and sign someone like Demelo. Trade Johnsson

Rielly Demelo
Muzzin Holl
Lehtonen Dermott
Sandin Liljegren

Looks pretty solid to me

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t even if Parayko was the cheaper contract. Rielly is just better. Why would you want to pay $500,000 more for two seasons for less talent. The under valuation of Rielly is bewildering. Both become ufas in two more seasons. Its sideways at best. Rielly is cheaper and more talented.
rielly isn't better than parayko. he's more talented offensively, but he's benefits from playing on a much better offensive team. he isn't a physical player or a defensive beast like parayko is, who himself can pitch in 30-35 points/season.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
rielly isn't better than parayko. he's more talented offensively, but he's benefits from playing on a much better offensive team. he isn't a physical player or a defensive beast like parayko is, who himself can pitch in 30-35 points/season.
No no Rielly is one of the keys to our offense. When i say in a post players come in to a great offensive situation and it could cause implications in a next contract because they get to play with Rielly’s and Nylanders etc. Rielly will earn his next contract by driving offense. The impact he has to team offense has a large sample size and we know he has leadership. He is much better than Parayko and cheaper to boot.

I respect your preference. I just don’t see it.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Is STL willing to do that? I highly doubt it but sure that might be the other player I’d be willing to part with Rielly for.

As for how good he is. Look the best defensive partner we have saddled this guy with was Ron Hainsey. Let me repeat that Ron Hainsey (a fine player once but certainly at the end of his career when he was with us). This year we stick him with Ceci and Barrie. Both sub par defenders. Ceci will be lucky to get a PTO. Okay maybe a bit harsh but I wouldn’t offer him anything for than a million dollars and 3rd pairing minutes.

As young RHD are a premium in the league I can’t see many teams parting with a Parayko or a Jones. Would I do it if either of those came back sure but not a 30 something RHD, not a Rookie with upside. A Bonafide 1st pairing RHD 24-26 signed to a reasonable cap hit.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No no Rielly is one of the keys to our offense. When i say in a post players come in to a great offensive situation and it could cause implications in a next contract because they get to play with Rielly’s and Nylanders etc. Rielly will earn his next contract by driving offense. The impact he has to team offense has a large sample size and we know he has leadership. He is much better than Parayko and cheaper to boot.
granted i'll give you cheaper, but by only a modest 500k. beyond 2022, we'll see who the cheaper one will be.

and no, i will not concede rielly is the superior defender when he is most definitely not

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017

In what world is Rielly a better defenseman than Parayko?

Reactions: Al14

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Jets fan here. You got a good one. Don't be suprised if he becomes your best dman.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Just based on comments from Dubas, none of Sandin or Lilly are guaranteed spots, so everyone putting Sandin in the lineup for sure might want to step back. Another thing I take away from the comments he isn't trading any of the young defencemen.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Good lad, if you want to play that's a great attitude to take

I like seeing players bend over backwards to get minutes and push their careers forward even if it isn't an ideal situation, that's how you ender yourself to your coaches and organization

Reactions: kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just based on comments from Dubas, none of Sandin or Lilly are guaranteed spots, so everyone putting Sandin in the lineup for sure might want to step back. Another thing I take away from the comments he isn't trading any of the young defencemen.

Good, it doesn't hurt to make them earn it

Getting huge minutes in the AHL against good competition doesn't hurt a young prospects development, I believe in the "if your good enough your old enough" mantra but you have to prove your better than the other options first

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad