Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Parayko is one of few guys that would make me think about it. I wouldn't do 1 for 1 though.

It's all moot though, because St Louis would never doing that, having to re-sign Pietro this year, no way they could afford Rielly next year.

Parayko and Rielly expire the same year and St Louis would save 500k on a 1 for 1 deal.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Next division

Nov 19, 2019
Welcome to Leafs Nation, Bobi! I just read his comments from finnish tabloid about this contract. He is excited about it and believe he can get a spot in top6. He ll practice this summer in his hometown Turku with personal skating and athletic traineers. Probably also with another NHL players who are from same town (Ristolainen and Kakko and Laine have been practiced last couple of summers there too).

Let's see, I do have a great feeling about this. Bobi is real deal!

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
i hope so. he isn't as good as his reputation states. he can land a top-end right shot defender
But the mayne got heart. :heart:
We needs that there. I'm pretty sure barrie is gone summer time after we win the stanley cup. He an expensive sucka.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Add me to the camp that would not trade Dermott unless it was a no brainer/home run type deal.
Amen. He carried a top 4 pair in that last stretch while we had injuries, often against the #1D matchups. Sure he hadn't had the best season until that point (really a bad first few months, not bad since January and very good in that last stretch), but he also dislocated a shoulder last year and that seemed to make Matthews gunshy on contact as well.

We would have some pretty serious egg on our face if we traded him now to find out that he's the player that he has been for the last little while. I can see the "how could you trade him when he already showed that he was that good?!" comments now

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
But the mayne got heart. :heart:
We needs that there. I'm pretty sure barrie is gone summer time after we win the stanley cup. He an expensive sucka.
barrie is cheaper than rielly heh but he wasn't that great here and we don't got the cap to re-sign him so yah he's a goner

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Exactly my thinking. If the Leafs can't trade Dermott for a top-4 solid defender, then just keep training him to be one.

I suppose it comes down to finances too.

If Dermott will take a reasonable deal to still prove himself further, then maybe it is better keeping him, as Manson is obviously on over 4m a year and will need a new deal in 2 years time, so would likely be gone then anyway.

Also have to consider expansion issues.

Reactions: kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nice piece of work from the front office

I hadn't even heard we were in on this guy but we have become a very attractive destination for overseas UFA'S and I just expect us to get guys were interested in now

It's nice when players want to play for you when they have a choice because you have stability, coaching and management players want to play for instead of a mess

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
From this chaps perspective, it's a great opportunity.

he knows we need affordable talent. He gives us one year of it as low cost. He either doesn't make it work in NA and goes back to KHL earning decent money again, or he does well and has an open market to seek a move that he can cash in on.

We're a great stepping stone for these guys atm. We won't be able to keep them all if it pans out, but we potentially get a year of much needed affordable service, and they get to put themselves in the shop window.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I suppose it comes down to finances too.

If Dermott will take a reasonable deal to still prove himself further, then maybe it is better keeping him, as Manson is obviously on over 4m a year and will need a new deal in 2 years time, so would likely be gone then anyway.

Also have to consider expansion issues.

If the cap stays the same, they would have to deal 2 of Kapp, Kerfoot, and Johnsson to squeeze in a 4 M defender.
One of them as to be dealt to stay within the cap, and the other one is being traded to swap their salary for the defender.

I think gambling on either Dermott or Mikko making the jump to a top 4 D is probably what they are thinking.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
If the cap stays the same, they would have to deal 2 of Kapp, Kerfoot, and Johnsson to squeeze in a 4 M defender.
One of them as to be dealt to stay within the cap, and the other one is being traded to swap their salary for the defender.

I think gambling on either Dermott or Mikko making the jump to a top 4 D is probably what they are thinking.

I'm okay with that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wow! I did not see this coming. There was literally 1 post in his thread on the trade board about the Leafs and it ironically was someone taking a pot shot at the Leafs media saying they connect every player to Toronto where nobody had connected this player to Toronto and then he signs here.

Interesting too because of our abundance of LD I expected he didn't even consider us because he would be guaranteed an NHL spot. So is he going to play RD, or are we planning on running a 2-2-1? 2 Forwards, 2 Left Defence, 1 Right Defence every shift? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad