Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The Leafs had their perfect 3 LHD 3 RHD this season and they were/are a pretty bad D-core. This was done to please Babs, who was the one who was hung-up on the LHD-RHD even though many of his years in Detroit it was almost entirely LHDs.

Take for instance 2011/12 (Detroit D in order - RHDs are bolded)

Lidstrom
Kronwall
White
Stuart
Ericsson
Kindl
Quincey
Smith
Commodore
Janik

1 D in their top-6 was a RHD. Their other RHD was #9 on the depth chart.

I think that the Leafs' will try to acquire another RHD, but Dubas has always said that he is about finding efficiencies - RHDs are currently well over-priced and the exact opposite of finding efficiencies. I think if you are a young D who wants to either make the roster or move up in the lineup you better show you are can play the right side.

I suspect Sandin (and Liljegren) will spend another year in the minors. If he is I hope they leave him there for the season instead of bouncing him around.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Rielly is horrible on right side. It is his hands. Dermy is d*mn good at it.
This guy does not fit at all with what we need unless he can play right side too.
Rielly is actually pretty decent on the right side when paired with Muzzin. Limited sample size but I think that pair could work.

Dermott is almost better on the right.

I would prefer a better lefty/righty balance but we'll see what this summer holds.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Sandin, Lehtonen would be 5 LHD... makes me wonder if Dermott could be trade bait.

One of Sandin or Dermott will have to play on the right, or elae onE moved, and thats not going to be Sandin...

Dermott + Kap couple probably return a pretty good D man

Reactions: NHL WAR

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Before everyone jumps to the trade Dermot attitude. Nothing about this guy indicates he's above an AHL player.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Before everyone jumps to the trade Dermot attitude. Nothing about this guy indicates he's above an AHL player. The Finnish league has been dramatically weakened in recent year, and has any legitimate NHL defencemen jumped from SM-Liiga to the NHL at 26 in recent years?

Well he came from the KHL, where he was the top producing defenseman and one of the top producing players in the entire league.

Plenty of players have jumped straight from the KHL to the NHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well he came from the KHL, where he was the top producing defenseman and one of the top producing players in the entire league.

Plenty of players have jumped straight from the KHL to the NHL.
I realized my mistake quickly after. But, lets not act like there is a good transfer rate from KHL defender to NHL defender in recent years. Especially enough of one that we decide to trade a 23 year old defender with more team control left to play him.

Find me the last quality defender to jump from the KHL to the NHL with no NA experience in recent years above the age of 23? The best example is probably Zaitsev.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
lmao @ the mod warning being required on the main board thread.

Only with the Leafs is it necessary.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I remember last year watching him play for Team Finland when they won the WC gold, every game he was the backbone of the finnish defence, offensively atleast, the guy carried the puck from his own zone to the offensive zone so many times with ease that i lost count, he was the best player on that team imo even if he didnt rack up a ton of points. But that was on a big rink so you never know will he transition it to the smaller NA rink, i think he just might, but he is a wildcard. Even if he doesn't pan out it's still a good move done by the Leafs. Heres to hoping he succeeds.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really? Nothing?
I mean, I'd say the likelihood of its pretty small. Fine with the gamble, but depending on him to fill in for Dermott and make Demott trade bait would just be reckless. Find me the last 23 or older KHL defender come over here and actually do something? This is a league Chris Lee destroys.

Reactions: Ciao

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I mean, I'd say the likelihood of its pretty small. Fine with the gamble, but depending on him to fill in for Dermott and make Demott trade bait would just be reckless. Find me the last 23 or older KHL defender come over here and actually do something? This is a league Chris Lee destroys.
I mean you could be right, but seriously he has some skills that AHL'ers don't have, lets just hope this ain't the case, your being abit too negative on the matter i think. But i can understand why in a sense ofc.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Just based on comments from Dubas, none of Sandin or Lilly are guaranteed spots, so everyone putting Sandin in the lineup for sure might want to step back. Another thing I take away from the comments he isn't trading any of the young defencemen.

Makes a lot of sense

Rielly-Holl
Muzzin-Lehtonen/Dermott
Lehtonen/Dermott - xxx
Marincin

xxx= Bogosian/Ceci/Braun/Gudas

Sandin/Liljegren get challenged to take the step from top pair to league wide MVP level in the A, and the team has two high end waiver exempt replacements.

Reactions: stickty111

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Mark Giordano

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
A guy who played there because of a hold out and happened over a decade ago? Shining example of getting defensive talent out of the KHL.

Well... There is literally 8 Russian defencemen in the NHL right now and only 2 are undrafted. You dont have a good enough sample size.

Lyubushkin
Zaitsev

One undrafted Finnish D in Riikola... but not KHL, he is a top 4 however

Kempny is an undrafted D from the KHL, ended up a #4/5

Last edited:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Dreadful without knowing return. Reasonable.....

I agree it would have to be pretty damn good return though. But with Dermott Muzz and Sandin....our left isn’t terrible. Reilly for a stud Righty and this new fella on the right?

meh just miss hockey

Am I reading this right? Are you saying we should trade Rielly???

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
This signing replaces everything Barrie brought to the team and likely much more because Barrie was a useless tit. At least this guy is reported to be able to actually play a two-way game which is important for us if true. I also like that we reacquired Rosen as he was playing a mans game with us before the break. Liljegren needs more time, he still gets very overwhelmed out there.

Good riddance to Barrie and Ceci.

Will Lehtonen be able to play in the playoffs for us this year if the season finishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad