Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I love what I am seeing of him this season - his numbers are crazy good to start the season, and the game to game updates sure make you smile as a Leafs fan.

However.......I always look at players like this with a dose of caution. Even as recent as a few years ago, Zaitsev was supposed to be really sought after, and the best Dman in the KHL, etc.....and of course we have to remember Ozhniganov - crazy good shot, physical, sure fire NHLer (even according to his buddy Kucherov?). I hope my fears are unfounded, but as a Leafs fan, we have to be used to disappointment.

Please...Lehtonen.....don't underwhelm us when you come over.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
????. Either 1st or 2nd pair d-man for Toronto, trust me, he is that good.

I love your confidence and I hope you're right, but I'm a "believe it when I see it" type of guy.

I'm slotting him into the third pairing and 2nd PP, in Sandin's place, until I believe he can supplant Reilly or Muzzin on Toronto's left side, or partner with Muzzin on the right side.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Having to remind myself to keep expectations in check, but he looks excellent out there.

If thr Leafs dont get aggressive in free agency or trades, he and Holl platooning 2/3 of the rhd slots depending on situational need could potentially be very effective

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Having to remind myself to keep expectations in check, but he looks excellent out there.

If thr Leafs dont get aggressive in free agency or trades, he and Holl platooning 2/3 of the rhd slots depending on situational need could potentially be very effective
The remake could be complete with Mo's partner. I suspect that by mid-season we might be seeing a Muzzin - Lehtonen pairing, and we know how well Dermott - Holl pairing worked when all the injuries happened. They had insanely low GA numbers playing against even top line competition.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He sure is the real deal, it's just never certain that these type of KHL stars always transition but i really hope he does! I remember discovering him myslef 2 years ago and was blown away.

Reactions: aingefan

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I love what I am seeing of him this season - his numbers are crazy good to start the season, and the game to game updates sure make you smile as a Leafs fan.

However.......I always look at players like this with a dose of caution. Even as recent as a few years ago, Zaitsev was supposed to be really sought after, and the best Dman in the KHL, etc.....and of course we have to remember Ozhniganov - crazy good shot, physical, sure fire NHLer (even according to his buddy Kucherov?). I hope my fears are unfounded, but as a Leafs fan, we have to be used to disappointment.

Please...Lehtonen.....don't underwhelm us when you come over.
Zaitzev is better then we give him credit for

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Zaitsev has all the tools to be a solid dman, but Babcock was the wrong coach for him, and Lou magnified it with that horrible contract.
i disagree

babcock was not the wrong coach for him

because of who we did or did not have on the roster,,babcock was forced to jam him into a role he was not best suited for

Babs tried to make him into a shutdown Dman,,(frankly) because he had little other options

i would be thrilled right now if we had Zait as our 2nd pair Dman with muzz instead of holl at 2m and

to balance the cap difference,,not have a kerfoot as 3c at 3.5m

holl/kerf at 5.5m or Zait/Spez 3c?,,,i take the zait package

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Zaitzev is better then we give him credit for
Oh bullshit :rolleyes:

He had a decent first year and proceeded to devolve into a borderline liability the next year. Babcock even paired him with the best shutdown D on the team in Muzzin and he still looked crappy.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
So what is his NHL comparison? Aki Berg?

I thought of Aki while reflecting on the poor transitions of Ozhiganov, Borgman, etc. Heres hoping that Lehtonen is an anomaly.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Ozhiganov came to the Leafs after getting 9 points in 42 games. Lehtonen has 12 in 8 games right now. they're not really comparable

Just listing off the top but ok, you're right.

Im excited for Lehtonen but ill reserve top 4 expectations for now. Aki Berg was a 3rd overall pick - you just never know with the transition to NA.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Just listing off the top but ok, you're right.

Im excited for Lehtonen but ill reserve top 4 expectations for now. Aki Berg was a 3rd overall pick - you just never know with the transition to NA.
true, although it helps that Lehtonen has played against NHLers internationally and thrived and the KHL has reduced the size of their ice for this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad