Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks. That's both awesome, and incredibly sad that they did it before the NHL.
I believe it is new. Not sure what the status of the nhl implementation is these days because it was supposed to be ready this post season. As of yet, I have found no reference of metadata which is kind of dumb. People could be getting their python code ready.
Last I heard, the tracking of goaltenders was problematic due to sensor positioning and the fact that they dont move through a wide space.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
I personally grow tired of waiting for Dermott to take the next step if Lehtonen can translate his
game to the nhl why not trade Travis for a comparable boom/bust RD.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Because Dermott can play the right side. That being said he's really just a number 5 at this point. Very replaceable.
Yeah I get that he’s versatile at the moment but I’d much rather the leafs D playing their strong side

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I personally grow tired of waiting for Dermott to take the next step if Lehtonen can translate his
game to the nhl why not trade Travis for a comparable boom/bust RD.

Think Dermott still has potential to become a valuable top 5 D man with added experience. His progression hasn't been completely linear but we can take advantage of that and re-sign him long term for a bargain price.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Think Dermott still has potential to become a valuable top 5 D man with added experience. His progression hasn't been completely linear but we can take advantage of that and re-sign him long term for a bargain price.
Dermott will need to be kept as a fallback for RD in case the Leafs can't get their targets.

Lehtonen is supposed to be able to play the right side, but I'd rather have him get comfortable on his strong side.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Dermott will need to be kept as a fallback for RD in case the Leafs can't get their targets.

Lehtonen is supposed to be able to play the right side, but I'd rather have him get comfortable on his strong side.

Agreed. Rather not alter a player's development or make them uncomfortable playing a position they don't excel at.

Lehtonen, Dermott, Muzzin, Sandin provide great depth at LHD for now. It should allow us to at least explore trading Rielly for a top pairing RHP (A.K.A Colton Parayko).

Reactions: D00bis and kb

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, this guy is the x-factor for the 20-21 D.
His adaptation to the NHL is probabaly the most important internal development to watch for the upcoming year.
If he’s on the L side, Dermott is pretty movable imo with Sandin pushing from below. He can be supported by Holl leaving Muzz to mentor Lili (kinda my dream scenario, seeing how I love me some Lili).
If he’s on the right side, all bets are off. Does he play with Mo, Muzz? Does it mean gritty strong LD UFA become targets, like maybe Dillon?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Agreed. Rather not alter a player's development or make them uncomfortable playing a position they don't excel at.

Lehtonen, Dermott, Muzzin, Sandin provide great depth at LHD for now. It should allow us to at least explore trading Rielly for a top pairing RHP (A.K.A Colton Parayko).

Uhhh. We aren't trading Rielly. He is the heartbeat of this team and an excellent defenseman

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly _______
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren
Lehtonen _______

We need a top pair RD for Rielly and we need a vet to push Holl and Liljegren for those RD spots.

Dermott is probably the odd man out.

Dermott Johnsson and/Kerfoot for a top 4 RHD or assets that can get you one.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Rielly _______
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren
Lehtonen _______

We need a top pair RD for Rielly and we need a vet to push Holl and Liljegren for those RD spots.

Dermott is better than all of those players. Sandin and Liljegren aren't even NHL players at this point. And we have no idea what Lehtonen is. Dermott is a decent all around player and plays hard every shift. While he may be useful as a package, on a team that has compete issues and a shoddy blueline, it's better to keep him if possible.

If we have that as our third pairing we can solve some of our cap issues by drafting first overall next year and getting a solid player to step right in on an entry-level contract.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Reilly - X
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonon - Dermott

This the most likely scenario to the start the season.

Lehtonen starts sheltered on third pairing as he adapts to NHL, and Dermott is sheltered on third pairing as he starts out on the right side. If either of these two guys start to make strides, then the pairings get juggled again. I could see Dermott moving up the right side pairings.

There is also a chance Lehtonen demonstrates he play the right side because he has done it before. I just figure its an easier transition for Dermott.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Reilly - X
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonon - Dermott

Lehtonen starts sheltered on third pairing as he adapts to NHL, and Dermott is sheltered on third pairing as he starts out on the right side. If either of these two guys start to make strides, then the pairings get juggled again. I could see Dermott moving up the right side pairings.

There is also a chance Lehtonen demonstrates he play the right side because he has done it before. I just figure its an easier transition for Dermott.

if we go in with that it will be a repeat of last year. I hope we target Gudas and/or Tanev.

Holl should on the bottom pairing, regardless of his chemistry with Muzzin

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Rielly _______
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren
Lehtonen _______

Rielly - Colin Miller
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Gudas
Lehtonen

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Rielly _______
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren
Lehtonen _______

No chance they have Sandin and Liljegren start the season as a pairing. Too little experience and doesn't put either player in a situation to succeed. I'll bet my left nut they sign a mean stay-at-home RHD to penalty kill. Liljegren would be the first call up if an injury pops up on the right side.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Can anyone elaborate on how Lehtonen's contract works?

Jokerit is just going to let him walk in the middle of their season when the NHL gets going??

-------

As for how he fits in, I do not believe Toronto is going to go into next year relying on the 2 of Sandin/Liljegren/Lehtonen to be full time NHLers.

I suspect they'll add a bonafide top 4 guy, then let either Dermott be the #5, or if they get a good offer / he's needed to address another part of the lineup, move him and sign a cheap vet.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Reilly - X
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonon - Dermott

As much as I'd like to see greater changes than this.... I think the above is basically what you're looking at.

The Leafs like Dermott, and I think they're honestly a little afraid to trade him, knowing that he'll likely find himself slotted in very nicely as somebody's top 4 defenceman.

Lehtonen & Sandin will battle it out for the #6 role. Maybe give the edge to Lehtonen, as he would theoretically be in mid-season form? One of Calle Rosen or Martin Marincin will likely find their way into the #7/8 role.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
No chance they have Sandin and Liljegren start the season as a pairing. Too little experience and doesn't put either player in a situation to succeed. I'll bet my left nut they sign a mean stay-at-home RHD to penalty kill. Liljegren would be the first call up if an injury pops up on the right side.

That's why you sign a third pair vet to battle for that #6 spot. If Lilje beats him out so be it, you have a guy who can play 3rd pair or sub in some games like a Hainsey.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad