Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How can a goalies play be totally isolated from the defensive players in front of him?
It can't be 100% perfectly isolated but we can get a pretty good idea where the issues are through measures of shot/shot attempt quantity and quality, scoring chance quantity and quality, etc.
We have had players fall off in performance when they played within the leafs system.
We've had defenders have ups and downs, and make defensive mistakes, like all players. It's just exaggerated because we're emotionally invested, so most people will always think that their defenders are worse than the opponent's.

When people watch games, and their team gets a shot/chance/goal, they will skew significantly towards perceiving it as their offensive players doing a good job, and not the opponent's defensive players making a mistake. When their team gets a shot/chance/goal against them, they will skew significantly towards perceiving it as their defensive players doing a bad job or making a mistake. Goaltenders get a little blame, but unless the score gets really high, even they are often absolved if anything resembling a mistake can be seen at some point in time before the goal. Reality is, mistakes happen. For all players. A lot.
Once he got his new deal something went off
We lost Muzzin (his partner) basically when he signed, and then a couple weeks later we lost Rielly, and then a couple weeks later we lost Ceci, and then a couple weeks later we lost Muzzin again.
Now Andersen is not a player I like and he definately had a down year but the past 3 years he was a top 10 goalie and masked a lot off issues we had.
The past 3 years, he's been overall great, and a big part of our success. He masked a ton of issues with our horrible defense over the past 3 years. This year, he's been complete, absolute garbage in comparison. One of if not the worst starter in the league, even though our team defense was actually much improved this year.
The same issues seemed to surround the team whether it was Babcock as coach of keefe.
I'd argue it's actually the complete opposite. Under Babcock, our defense was garbage, and Andersen was great (aside from Octobers). Under Keefe, our defense has improved to league average levels (despite massive injuries), but Andersen has been horrible. I have confidence that Andersen will find his game again, but many people have trouble accepting that it's Andersen, because our defense has been so bad in the recent past. It takes a long time to shake a reputation, especially defensively.
Rielly is a elite guy and needs a smooth calm partner who can avoid making dumb/panic plays.
I think what we need more is for him to not be injured all season, but I mostly agree. Maybe we have already found that partner in this signing. People like to laugh, but he's highly regarded, and we don't need him to be a superstar to be an effective partner for Rielly. He had a career year with a heavily declining 37-38 year old Hainsey...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dermott needs to be given more oppritunity (I.e) a higher role in the lineup to showcase he can go up against top 6 nhl forwards and be the player we are looking for. He shows it in spurts but can also be quite erratic and make boneheaded turnovers due to a lapse of forward support and IQ. He needs to showcase that he deserves to be still talked/hyped as much as he was when he first got here in 2018. People have started seeing flaws that he has when he plays bigger minutes. Now those issues are fixable and he was plagued by bad coaching with Babcock when he first came back from a major injury along with not too much consistency in who his partner was.

For next year I want dermott to be more confident. Use his strong skating to get out of trouble, be more comfortable making short passes to get out of the zone. Use his strength to box out bigger players and use his defensive positioning to be able to suppress shots when possible. I'm hoping he can have a breakout year next season so we can serve the big RHD need internally. Hoping him and rielly can be our number 1 pairing next season

Yep. Dermott is the guy to watch. Hes shown flashes of great potential, juat need him to deliver it consistently (and hopefully stay healthy).

Lehtonen is still a wild card, but im very excited to see what he can do based on some of these scouting reports.

If he sticks all the Leafs will need is 1 smart free agency signing and they'll have a pretty good D core

Edit:typo

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
dermott is the 2nd best blueliner on this team behind muzzin and y'all wanna trade him? nuts

dermott should be on our top pair with muzzin, while rielly plays with holl

why keefe hasn't done that is wack.

muzzin-dermott
rielly-holl
sandin-lehtonen
rosen

is the d-core before trades

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
dermott is the 2nd best blueliner on this team behind muzzin and y'all wanna trade him? nuts

Only agreement I have is maybe he has potential to be the 2nd best blue liner if he puts it all together and starts producing some more points.

He hasn’t reached that yet... and is still very far away from Rielly and Muzzin in being reliable in all situations.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I know this has been answered somewhere in these 581 messages above me, but plain and simply:

Will Lehtonen join to the team when ever 20-21 season "activities" (camps etc.) starts, or is it possible that he would be a team member, even a player, before this season ends (in, say, October or whenever)?

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018

why keefe hasn't done that is wack.

muzzin-dermott
rielly-holl
sandin-lehtonen
rosen

is the d-core before trades

Does Rielly not exist?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I know this has been answered somewhere in these 581 messages above me, but plain and simply:

Will Lehtonen join to the team when ever 20-21 season "activities" (camps etc.) starts, or is it possible that he would be a team member, even a player, before this season ends (in, say, October or whenever)?

I'm pretty sure it was signed as a 20-21 contract so can't be this current season.

Reactions: Jaymond Flurrie

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Radko Gudas as an FA could complete a respectable defensive core.

Gudas is a bottom pairing defender at this point, and the Leafs do not exactly lack bottom pairing defensemen. He would effectively be a slightly better Polak, and I do not think a slightly better Polak makes our defense significantly better.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Gudas is a bottom pairing defender at this point, and the Leafs do not exactly lack bottom pairing defensemen. He would effectively be a slightly better Polak, and I do not think a slightly better Polak makes our defense significantly better.
He played like dozen good games when we needed him to. If he always played like that he would be much higher ranked I would agree with you.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
If it came down to that I think hed be traded or thats make a side deal with the Kraken

This. At some point we'd have to do a deal to relieve the glut and fill the voids. Signing free-agents is going to be quite difficult in the next few years, why not utilize the few bullets we do have in the chamber in order to improve?

Dermott is aieeet. I just don't see him as non-expendable as some seem to round these parts. And if he proves to be clearly better than the competition - which he hasn't thus far - trade the other spare parts.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Does this mean that Marincin a player who starts the game -1 will finally be off this roster?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I like the way he spotted the winger slipping up and backed off without being all offense blind. He pivots back right away. Little things going on there. Quick snap through the lane in to a screen. Nice look there thanks for sharing

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs really need this free wallet to be full on money as their defense is currently in filled with questions for next year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Leafs really need this free wallet to be full on money as their defense is currently in filled with questions for next year.
Is that all
I could slam together a list of changes that would to to mind boggling to post ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad