Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Not in that kind of draft. You take your double overage reach with the Grundstrom pick at the earliest.

Also this is the funny thing, the appeal of Korshkov, Gauthier, and Biggs is that they had a lower ceiling but were supposed to be "sure things" and ready sooner. It took Gauthier, what, 4 years to become a mediocre part-time 4C? It took Korshkov 4 years to get a tryout at 4W? It took Biggs 5 years to.. end up as a 4th liner in the English league?

Took Bertuzzi that long to develop. Took Jake Virtanen. Took countless. It takes power forwards longer to develop. Doesn't help its a tough forward roster to crack. Im not defending the pick but we shouldn't give up on the guy and I could see why he was drafted. I don't see why Gauthier or Biggs were drafted. Atleast Korshkov has some scoring touch.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not in that kind of draft. You take your double overage reach with the Grundstrom pick at the earliest.

Also this is the funny thing, the appeal of Korshkov, Gauthier, and Biggs is that they had a lower ceiling but were supposed to be "sure things" and ready sooner. It took Gauthier, what, 4 years to become a mediocre part-time 4C? It took Korshkov 4 years to get a tryout at 4W? It took Biggs 5 years to.. end up as a 4th liner in the English league?

Its the fundamental problem with these "safe" big players.

People assume theyll have a floor as a 4th liner based on their stats (height, weight, hits) when in reality thats their CEILING and the vast majority of draft picks dont come close to reaching their top end potential

Reactions: stickty111

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Its the fundamental problem with these "safe" big players.

People assume theyll have a floor as a 4th liner based on their stats (height, weight, hits) when in reality thats their CEILING and the vast majority of draft picks dont come close to reaching their top end potential

Especially when the things they need to work on are things that I've almost never seen get improved (other than Gauthier, kudos to him honestly).

Most of the time with the "safe" picks, they have the size locked down but just need to work on some tiny things like:

1) Agility
2) IQ
3) Processing speed
4) Vision
5) Hands

As soon as those things get improved by massive amounts, you'll have an ok bottom-6er ready to go in 5 years.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Especially when the things they need to work on are things that I've almost never seen get improved (other than Gauthier, kudos to him honestly).

Most of the time with the "safe" picks, they have the size locked down but just need to work on some tiny things like:

1) Agility
2) IQ
3) Processing speed
4) Vision
5) Hands

As soon as those things get improved by massive amounts, you'll have an ok bottom-6er ready to go in 5 years.
And to think we used 1st-2nd rounders on these players.
Yikes.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Eh. Interesting signing.

If we acquire someone to play with Mo (a likely scenario), we would have to move one of Dermott/Liljegren (and the one not traded could start frequenting the press box). Since Liljegren can be sent down, it seems probable that Dermott will be moved (which is a real shame!).

Sandin would be wasted on the farm and Lehtonen is a Top 6 talent on any team in the league.

Good problem to have!

Reactions: Menzinger

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
he isn't our best D
What would it take for him to be our best D? 70 points? Top end minutes? 20 goals? Top pairing assignments? PP usage? PK time? Leadership? Size? Ability?

I'm not sure if you're over-thinking things due to overexposure (like certain scouts did when ranking Crosby/McDavid below #1 in their respective draft years) or if you have no clue how to evaluate talent.

This is one of the main reasons other fanbases look down upon Leafs fans. There are people here who are so over the top with wacky opinions that it's probable that we could have a prime Gretzky and people here would find reasons to state he isn't our best player.

Give your head a shake and appreciate the talent we have in Morgan Rielly. We went so long without a legit #1 defenseman and now that we have one the ridicule persists.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
What would it take for him to be our best D? 70 points? Top end minutes? 20 goals? Top pairing assignments? PP usage? PK time? Leadership? Size? Ability?

I'm not sure if you're over-thinking things due to overexposure (like certain scouts did when ranking Crosby/McDavid below #1 in their respective draft years) or if you have no clue how to evaluate talent.

This is one of the main reasons other fanbases look down upon Leafs fans. There are people here who are so over the top with wacky opinions that it's probable that we could have a prime Gretzky and people here would find reasons to state he isn't our best player.

Give your head a shake and appreciate the talent we have in Morgan Rielly. We went so long without a legit #1 defenseman and now that we have one the ridicule persists.
Become better defensively

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I come here to read up on Lehtonen and am met with suggestions and criticisms of Rielly...ya, I'm going to bow out now. :help:

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The great news about Lehtonen is that he’s also solid defensively. If he can turn out as well as the Miky signing for us we’re looking very good.

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
Lehtonen and Barabanov are both genious signings. Lehtonen don't have any weaknesses, he is close to 100% hit in the NHL. Barabanov has NHL tempo playing style (unlike Gusev or Shipachyov) and won't suck in any case. Altough I have to say Barabanov's finishing ability is absolutely horrendous. He creates scoring chances all the time with his incredible skating and hands but literally can't score.

Anyway, insane value signings, good luck for the season. :)

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Become better defensively

This is correct. We need defensemen who can... ya know, defend.

edit: before anyone jumps down my throat, I love Mo. that said, if you can get a less productive #1 RHD for him who is better defensively, you do that 100% of the time.

Reactions: JustAShadow

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This is correct. We need defensemen who can... ya know, defend.

edit: before anyone jumps down my throat, I love Mo. that said, if you can get a less productive #1 RHD for him who is better defensively, you do that 100% of the time.
this

for example, if the blues for some reason offered rielly for parayko, dubas should accept that deal

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I can't fathom why Leafs would trade Rielly.

He's on a bargain contract for another two years. Who do they get better than him with such value?

Only moves to be made on Morgan Rielly are to try and tie him down long-term as soon as it is permitted.
Rielly and Matthews for McDavid and Larsson would be the only better value.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Has anyone of note won that in the past?

All Winners (Players)
SeasonAward winnerBornBirthplaceDrafted by
2019-2020 49
2.png
Mikko Lehtonen (D)
1994 Turku, FIN
2018-2019 53
36.png
Darren Dietz (D)
1993 Medicine Hat, AB, CAN Montréal Canadiens (2011)
2017-2018 38
7.png
Philip Larsen (D)
1989 Esbjerg, DEN Dallas Stars (2008)
2016-2017 65
3.png
Chris Lee (D)
1980 MacTier, ON, CAN
2015-2016 40
3.png
Cam Barker (D)
1986 Winnipeg, MB, CAN Chicago Blackhawks (2004)
36.png
Kevin Dallman (D)
1981 St. Catharines, ON, CAN
2014-2015 48
9.png
Kirill Koltsov (D)
1983 Chelyabinsk, RUS Vancouver Canucks (2002)
2013-2014 35
9.png
Kirill Koltsov (D)
1983 Chelyabinsk, RUS Vancouver Canucks (2002)
2012-2013 42
9.png
Renat Mamashev (D)
1983 Moskva, RUS
2011-2012 54
36.png
Kevin Dallman (D)
2010-2011 46
8.png
Karel Rachunek (D)
1979 Zlin, CZE Ottawa Senators (1997)
2009-2010 42
36.png
Kevin Dallman (D)
9.png
Sergei Zubov (D)
1970 Moskva, RUS New York Rangers (1990)
2008-2009 58
36.png
Kevin Dallman (D)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad