Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I seem to recall Dermott struggling with the first pass out of his zone and people here think he will have an easier time trying to make the same pass on his backhand now?

This dman is going to be a top 4 dman.
Deal with it.

the rest will fall in line.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Yes for sure Goat is so much better over his time with Barb. But why not Bracco?????????????? Bracco's hands are likely best in org. And he has great edges on quick turns and stops. But his stride sucks. Not nearly fast enough. Short choppy stride.

I thought it was because he had this weird sideways crab scuttle way of skating Barb was attempting to cure him of

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought it was because he had this weird sideways crab scuttle way of skating Barb was attempting to cure him of
Yes he uses crossovers and short curls in his stride. But watch McJesus skate straight line he uses short curls too. Laura, Dom and Jari all teach it too. Most of youngins coming up are being taught same way.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It really depends on how he is developed by da Leafs coaching. But if properly mentored I think he has a shot to be a 1st pair guy in 3-4 years. Right now I think he can handle #4 duties with progressions if he is partnered with Muzzy. I think it is too much too fast if they put him with Rielly. If he was a really smart dude then he might develop a little faster but he is not da sharpest tool in da drawer.
If the development investment turns out what your predict, then it’s worthwhile… But if he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, what makes you confident that he can overcome that?
3 to 4 years is a long term risk during a highly competitive period of leaf hockey.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

Maple Leafs Sign Mikko Lehtonen

Lehtonen, 26, appeared in 60 games with Jokerit (KHL) during the 2019-20 season and registered 49 points (17 goals, 32 assists), which led all KHL defencemen. He represented Jokerit at the 2020 KHL All-Star Game and was named KHL Defenceman of the Month in three consecutive months from November to January. He had a goal and three assists in six KHL playoff games prior to the cancellation of the season. Before joining Jokerit, Lehtonen won an SHL title in 2016-17 as a member of HV71 and captured a Liiga bronze medal in 2017-18 with Tappara.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Maple Leafs Sign Mikko Lehtonen

Lehtonen, 26, appeared in 60 games with Jokerit (KHL) during the 2019-20 season and registered 49 points (17 goals, 32 assists), which led all KHL defencemen. He represented Jokerit at the 2020 KHL All-Star Game and was named KHL Defenceman of the Month in three consecutive months from November to January. He had a goal and three assists in six KHL playoff games prior to the cancellation of the season. Before joining Jokerit, Lehtonen won an SHL title in 2016-17 as a member of HV71 and captured a Liiga bronze medal in 2017-18 with Tappara.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Reactions: kb

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
My guesses are based on two considerations: the season is broken up into two/three sections for the purposes of integrating Lehtonen, and that he's able to transition the way some of those who've analyzed him suggest he might fit because they are correct in their opinions of his skill sets. To the second consideration first: Lehtonen is cautious, intelligent, has some jam, good gap control, decent skating, can avoid the first checker in the Dzone, has a good first pass, doesn't try to do more than he can, positions himself well between the goal and the attacking player, has a good shot on net that get's through...in short a solid player. If these views are correct, he is an improvement on Ron Hainsey, and if paired with Rielly would provide useful skills that compliment Rielly (such as: steady defensively, able to pass to Rielly, able to avoid initial press and move the puck to advancing forwards, a threat from the point). To the first consideration, he will need time to acclimate to the NHL. That he is a mature player should help speed up the process...will it be successful? I hope it is.

Segment 1: 1st 20/30 games

Muzzin Holl (more defensive zone starts)
Rielly Lehtonen (more offensive zone starts)
Sandin Dermott (dependent on game situation leaning towards O zone starts)
Rosen/Liljegren

If things prove successful...

Segment 2: Games 25/50 ish

same pairings with the intent of a more balanced work load re: zones. To determine the strengths and weaknesses of all of our D pairings. I want all our pairings to have gained confidence in their understanding of how they fit with the team and their importance to the team. I don't want one of the pairings to feel as if they are the 'weak' link...they will all be needed come playoffs. This is where fine tuning comes into play. Dermott might flourish and Lehtonen flounder, Liljegren may blossom, injuries of course, and if we see a compressed schedule, I'd be introducing Rosen and Liljegren into selected games to reduce wear and tear. Essentially, establishing the foundation for our push.

Segment 3: the last 30 games.

The strength of this team is in its offensive capabilities. I want to see Rielly on the ice more than any other Dman. Thus...

Rielly Lehtonen (around 23/4 minutes)
Muzz Holl (around 20/21)
Sandin Dermott (15/6)

Realistic? Eh, who knows, I'm sure there are more than a few here who will tell me I'm crazy. I just might be :laugh:
I've seen a fair bit of Lehtonen and to my eye he possesses a lot of qualities similar to Heiskanen. Simple right things at his own end, no circus tricks if they are not absolutely necessary, good timing in joining the rush, sound understandig of positional play, semi-physical, good stick and he has good tools to execute. Good shot, nice hands and good skating. No doubt in my mind that this was a solid if not a great signing. Better D than most finns currently in the NHL. Second to Heiskanen imo.

Reactions: meefer

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I can't fathom why Leafs would trade Rielly.

He's on a bargain contract for another two years. Who do they get better than him with such value?

Only moves to be made on Morgan Rielly are to try and tie him down long-term as soon as it is permitted.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Dermott has not shown anything to suggest we can move Rielly.

Dermott, Sandin, Muzzin and Lehtonen are all left side defensemen expected to play in the NHL next season. Sandin can be forced to the farm for another year but unless Lehtonen can play the right side at the NHL level something has to give.

What about Rielly in the defensive end in 2019-20? He has started to resort to those passive stickchecks that make other teams' highlight reels. What happened to physically angling off forwards. His defensive game has regressed.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

He's on a bargain contract for another two years. Who do they get better than him with such value?

Only moves to be made on Morgan Rielly are to try and tie him down long-term as soon as it is permitted.
Because we need to move a LHD to improve our right side.

Reactions: JustAShadow

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Ya, I never mentioned that.
We have abundance on the left side, shortage on the right side.

It's also kind of a strawman argument to suggest that Dermott is the direct replacement of Rielly. Dermott is probably destined to receive 3rd pairing ice time regardless of whether Rielly is still with the team.

Reactions: Eb

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

The leafs should theoretically get a lot of value for Rielly because of his name and his decent cap hit. Moving him allows us to improve the parts of our team that Rielly just won't improve, like defense and physicality.

As you mentioned, Rielly only has 2 years left on his contract. With the cap not going to rise much in the near future, retaining Rielly doesn't seem all that likely. It's best to move him now, when his value is really high, than to potentially lose in for nothing at all in 2022.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Lehtonen is the kind of player we all hope Liljegren develops into. Currently, Lehtonen oozes poise and possesses a high processing IQ whereas this is still a weakness of Lilly's which may be hard to fix. I'm just trying to establish the fact that we were willing to walk into next season with Lilly on the bottom pair and now Dubas has just acquired a player far better for about the same price.

I don't think Lehtonen stays on the bottom pair. He's going to be better than many expect and that says more about how bad defensively our team is. This guy is cool under pressure, rarely makes mistakes or wrong decisions and isn't afraid of playing a heavy, more physical game although he's average size. The booming, accurate point shots and passing ability are just gravy. (Watching some of the Jokerit playoff games and you can tell right away Lehtonen is their most relied upon player, dangerous most shifts)

In the context of D-zone reliability I would place our players in the following order:
1) Muzzin (although he's getting slower every year, is our only prototypical shutdown D)
2) Lehtonen (Can easily see him rising above most in the depth chart)
3) Rielly/Holl/Ceci/Sandin/Dermott/Rosen (These guys all play pretty average defense, Sandin will rise above them)
4) Marincin/Liljegren (Hopefully Lilly can figure it out)
100) Barrie (Shame)

My prediction for future pairings is:
Muzzin - Lehtonen
Rielly - Dermott or (Shutdown D from trade)
Sandin - Holl/Rosen/Marincin/Lilly

Of course everything could change as the NHL is a different kind of beast. I was never on board with Barrie or Ceci while everyone was telling me to give them a chance. I knew it wasn't going to work because neither of them were known for their D-zone reliability which was already a big weakness of ours before they came aboard. Barrie was a 4th forward who forgot that there are other plays besides haphazard slappers from anywhere. Lehtonen plays a reliable two-way game with no glaring weaknesses, we should be improved in that regard. This signing lessens the sting of the Kadri trade a little, as long as he's better than Barrie, shouldn't be hard.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Especially after watching our D without him this season. His impact was enormous in the first game back against Tampa. Night & Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad