Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
This signing reminded me of another defenseman playing for Jokerit--Rasanen. Is he officially done, or is there any chance that he comes over to play with the Marlies next season? This kid has not played a lot of hockey over the last two seasons, playing in 50 games between 4 different teams.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
This signing reminded me of another defenseman playing for Jokerit--Rasanen. Is he officially done, or is there any chance that he comes over to play with the Marlies next season? This kid has not played a lot of hockey over the last two seasons, playing in 50 games between 4 different teams.

He was being loaned to tier-2 Finland this year. 0% chance he's an NHL'er, just like all the other big useless defensemen we drafted under Lamoriello.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He was being loaned to tier-2 Finland this year. 0% chance he's an NHL'er, just like all the other big useless defensemen we drafted under Lamoriello.
He was loaned to the Danish league as well. Not very encouraging. Would there not be room on the Marlies blue line this year to at least give him a look? I would think that TL and RS have spots on the big club to lose. If that's the case, we really don't have anyone else after them in the system to give ice time to--prior to this year's draft obviously.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He was loaned to the Danish league as well. Not very encouraging. Would there not be room on the Marlies blue line this year to at least give him a look? I would think that TL and RS have spots on the big club to lose. If that's the case, we really don't have anyone else after them in the system to give ice time to--prior to this year's draft obviously.

He's not worth an ELC and definitely wouldn't sign an AHL deal. Both he and Korshkov were silly picks for the 2nd round. A team should never draft anybody in the top-2 rounds that they wouldn't sign to an ELC right away.

Reactions: Kurtz

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

There is a chance, but it really depends on how well he does in the Liiga next year. If he looks like a legit defenseman at 21, he will likely be signed to an ELC and play on the Marlies for 2021-2022. If he sucks, then he's probably nothing and I think his rights expire next year anyways. So make or break for him.

There has never been room for Rasanen on the Marlies. We have Lindgren, Duszak and Hollowell. They are not going to have a 4th younger guy in the mix. At best he could have replaced one of them, but playing everyday in the Liiga makes a lot more sense. The only thing is that he should have done that 2 years ago instead of going to a team in the KHL which rarely plays young players (Rasanen is 3rd in U24 GP since Jokerit joined the KHL; one of them is Tolvanen and the other was a defenseman who only played 20 more games but fewer minutes per game).

It will be easier to fit him in the 2021-2022 lineup when Lindgren/Duszak/Hollowell should be capable of playing a larger role or are in the NHL, Rasanen has had a full year of pro under his belt, and there is a spot open for him.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I thought it was extremely obvious that Rielly was labouring through an injury early in the season when we were floundering. I personally suspect an abdominal injury, but that's just speculation.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I thought it was extremely obvious that Rielly was labouring through an injury early in the season when we were floundering. I personally suspect an abdominal injury, but that's just speculation.

The Athletic had reported he had underwent a recent MRI PRIOR to his main inury this season. So he was definitely dealing with something else

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He's not worth an ELC and definitely wouldn't sign an AHL deal. Both he and Korshkov were silly picks for the 2nd round. A team should never draft anybody in the top-2 rounds that they wouldn't sign to an ELC right away.

Korshkov at 31 was a headscratcher. He developed well enough and might be a good bottom 6 W if he keeps it up, but why spend #31 on a double overage winger with potential contract issues and mediocre upside? Are you that worried a team will take him before your next pick? Even if they do, who cares?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Korshkov at 31 was a headscratcher. He developed well enough and might be a good bottom 6 W if he keeps it up, but why spend #31 on a double overage winger with potential contract issues and mediocre upside? Are you that worried a team will take him before your next pick? Even if they do, who cares?

Right. It's one thing to take a double overager like Tanner Pearson 30th overall and sign him right off the hop. Drafting a double overage KHL'er 31st and waiting almost 3 years to sign him is just a waste. It's like drafting Mihkeyev in the second round rather than signing him at 24.

Reactions: supermann_98

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Right. It's one thing to take a double overager like Tanner Pearson 30th overall and sign him right off the hop. Drafting a double overage KHL'er 31st and waiting almost 3 years to sign him is just a waste. It's like drafting Mihkeyev in the second round rather than signing him at 24.

Or at least if you're going to wait on him for 3-4 years, the upside should at be worth it. Even if he explodes in his development from here, we're talking about maybe a 40 point guy who plays special teams? Fine, he got injured and his development stalled a few times, but even if it didn't, I don't see him ever being a legitimate 1st line option unless he had some sort of crazy Marchand development curve.

Reactions: stickty111

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018

at 31 your happy if a big bodies russian kid can make the nhl as a bottom 6 regular. Remember where gauthier was taken? or even worse..tyler biggs?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
at 31 your happy if a big bodies russian kid can make the nhl as a bottom 6 regular. Remember where gauthier was taken? or even worse..tyler biggs?

Not in that kind of draft. You take your double overage reach with the Grundstrom pick at the earliest.

Also this is the funny thing, the appeal of Korshkov, Gauthier, and Biggs is that they had a lower ceiling but were supposed to be "sure things" and ready sooner. It took Gauthier, what, 4 years to become a mediocre part-time 4C? It took Korshkov 4 years to get a tryout at 4W? It took Biggs 5 years to.. end up as a 4th liner in the English league?

Reactions: stickty111

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If the development investment turns out what your predict, then it’s worthwhile… But if he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, what makes you confident that he can overcome that?
3 to 4 years is a long term risk during a highly competitive period of leaf hockey.
I think you have to have like 4-6 defenders with NHL skills to get trained up between minor pro and pro all da time ... maybe 2/3 of those will make it ... for all we know maybe Lily will be only 1 of our current 3 who do ... my point is no one can tell you today ... no one including Shanny

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's still my reaction. I'm hyped to see this kid play in the NHL. No doubt in my mind, that he'll be a beast. And he's a big boy that'll stick up for his teammates!

One heckuva deal by Dubas & co. :D
He's decent size for a defenseman, 6ft about 200 lbs.
What makes you think he's a beast and sticks up for teammates?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Or at least if you're going to wait on him for 3-4 years, the upside should at be worth it. Even if he explodes in his development from here, we're talking about maybe a 40 point guy who plays special teams? Fine, he got injured and his development stalled a few times, but even if it didn't, I don't see him ever being a legitimate 1st line option unless he had some sort of crazy Marchand development curve.

While what is happening with Korshkov isn't a terrible outcome (I still think he ends up in our top 9), it wasn't the best case. When we picked him as double overager it was after he emerged as one of the best 96's outside of the NHL. The pick was based on him continuing that curve and coming over after 1-2 seasons of Kulemin like dominance in the KHL and being a top 9 player day 1 with top 6 upside.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Skating is probably one of, uh, da easiest problems with a player to fix though.

You can find examples on our own team who have dramatically improved with Barb...like Gauthier. he skates a lot better now. but making Goat handle the puck like he doesn't have feet for hands? Not so easy.

Can Barb teach Goat to bump into an opposing player once in a while?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
There is a chance, but it really depends on how well he does in the Liiga next year. If he looks like a legit defenseman at 21, he will likely be signed to an ELC and play on the Marlies for 2021-2022. If he sucks, then he's probably nothing and I think his rights expire next year anyways. So make or break for him.

There has never been room for Rasanen on the Marlies. We have Lindgren, Duszak and Hollowell. They are not going to have a 4th younger guy in the mix. At best he could have replaced one of them, but playing everyday in the Liiga makes a lot more sense. The only thing is that he should have done that 2 years ago instead of going to a team in the KHL which rarely plays young players (Rasanen is 3rd in U24 GP since Jokerit joined the KHL; one of them is Tolvanen and the other was a defenseman who only played 20 more games but fewer minutes per game).

It will be easier to fit him in the 2021-2022 lineup when Lindgren/Duszak/Hollowell should be capable of playing a larger role or are in the NHL, Rasanen has had a full year of pro under his belt, and there is a spot open for him.
What kind of ceiling do these 3 have? Are call-ups 21/22 realistic for any of them? I didn't get a chance to watch a lot of Marlies this year.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Not in that kind of draft. You take your double overage reach with the Grundstrom pick at the earliest.

Also this is the funny thing, the appeal of Korshkov, Gauthier, and Biggs is that they had a lower ceiling but were supposed to be "sure things" and ready sooner. It took Gauthier, what, 4 years to become a mediocre part-time 4C? It took Korshkov 4 years to get a tryout at 4W? It took Biggs 5 years to.. end up as a 4th liner in the English league?
It really is a head scratcher as to how they got it so wrong. Picked in the first round and can't cut it in three ECHL. I wonder if some of it is attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad