Confirmed with Link: TOR signs F Yegor Korshkov to 2 year ELC

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Engvall I think will be more NHL ready next season than Korshkov and he is 6'5" every day too.
Engvall is getting reps at C with the Marlies to increase his versatility.
He could probably play 4th line wing and could be a weapon on the PK.
Good to see this guy inked. He just needs to do complimentary things well, and has the tools to do so.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Well well I wonder if we will see him tonight. He has a stall and #96 already. I guess we will know if he is on ice at 11 am morning skate. I really hope Keefe does not mess with what worked in round 1. But curious to see what we got here too.
He didn’t hesitate to take risks with young D :)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Did they play on the same KHL team? Too lazy to look it up.:)
They did not - Panarin spent most of his first 5 years with Chekhov Vityaz, before finishing his KHL career with St. Petersburg SKA. Korshkov spent his entire KHL career with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv.

I've never followed the KHL closely enough to have any idea whether these organizations put one player in a better position to succeed than the other or not, unfortunately.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
After 5 seasons:
Korshkov - 0.378 P/GP
Panarin - 0.385 P/GP

Only if you count his 5 games in his 16/17 year old season.

His 17-22 year old seasons equals roughly 0.588 P/GP vs. Korshkovs 0.378 P/GP. But to be fair, Korshkov missed the majority of his 22 year old season out with a major injury while Panarin spent that season on one of the best teams in the league playing with a late prime Kovy.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
After 5 seasons:
Korshkov - 0.378 P/GP
Panarin - 0.385 P/GP

Up until this season, and the broken leg, Korshkov was developing very well, and his points were decent for a young guy in the KHL. If you take this years injury season out, Korshkov looks even better.

Who knows if he can play at the NHL level, and adjust to the ice surface and game, but he still has some pretty decent potential. I highly doubt he will explode like Panarin did though.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

His 17-22 year old seasons equals roughly 0.588 P/GP vs. Korshkovs 0.378 P/GP. But to be fair, Korshkov missed the majority of his 22 year old season out with a major injury while Panarin spent that season on the best team in the league playing with a late prime Kovy.
Danke - Loves me some deeper context.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

His 17-22 year old seasons equals roughly 0.588 P/GP vs. Korshkovs 0.378 P/GP. But to be fair, Korshkov missed the majority of his 22 year old season out with a major injury while Panarin spent that season on one of the best teams in the league playing with a late prime Kovy.

Different type of players to compare.

Im very intrigued by his size and speed. How it translates to the NHL is a different story. If he can become a Niederreiter type of player the Leafs are in a good spot. Doesn't need to throw his body around recklessly but can use it effectively in tight areas and in front of the net. That should be the want.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Up until this season, and the broken leg, Korshkov was developing very well, and his points were decent for a young guy in the KHL. If you take this years injury season out, Korshkov looks even better.

Who knows if he can play at the NHL level, and adjust to the ice surface and game, but he still has some pretty decent potential. I highly doubt he will explode like Panarin did though.
The Podium brought up that Panarin was 16/17 in his first season, so his truly comparable seasons are further ahead of Korshkov's than I had initially posted, but you're definitely right that his injury (especially a broken leg) would slow him down, so to speak.

I've always been intrigued by his size and tool-set, and am glad we're finally going to have a chance to see him on North American ice. Hopefully he has a good showing in the Playoffs to build on next year.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
They did not - Panarin spent most of his first 5 years with Chekhov Vityaz, before finishing his KHL career with St. Petersburg SKA. Korshkov spent his entire KHL career with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv.

I've never followed the KHL closely enough to have any idea whether these organizations put one player in a better position to succeed than the other or not, unfortunately.
Thanks

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Lefty shot at least.

Is he likely to contribute more than Marleau ?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Different type of players to compare.

Im very intrigued by his size and speed. How it translates to the NHL is a different story. If he can become a Niederreiter type of player the Leafs are in a good spot. Doesn't need to throw his body around recklessly but can use it effectively in tight areas and in front of the net. That should be the want.

Oh, definitely different types of players. I was using Panarin as an example for context of what young players typically produce in the KHL. If Panarin, who is one of the best offensive players in the NHL, was pacing similar to Korshkov, who we project to be a top 6 grinder, than his production cannot be seen as a disappointment as Mess is trying to portray.

Reactions: IBeL34f

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If Korshkov becomes a Valeri Nichushkin clone would you be all that disappointed? Same size players that play the wing, that have come from KHL.

Thoughts

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Korshkov becomes a Valeri Nichushkin clone would you be all that disappointed? Same size players that play the wing, that have come from KHL.

Thoughts

The guy that had 0 goals and 10 assists in 57 games this season?

I'll take a ~25-30 point winger though I guess, which is what he put up in his previous 2 NHL seasons before putting up average KHL numbers.

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009
The Podium brought up that Panarin was 16/17 in his first season, so his truly comparable seasons are further ahead of Korshkov's than I had initially posted, but you're definitely right that his injury (especially a broken leg) would slow him down, so to speak.

I've always been intrigued by his size and tool-set, and am glad we're finally going to have a chance to see him on North American ice. Hopefully he has a good showing in the Playoffs to build on next year.
Even then, asking this guy to come over to NA , adjust to a different culture, adjust to a different ice surface, different players, different coach and system...... well.... if he can just fit in at all would be great. Especially when it’s in the middle of playoff hockey!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Even then, asking this guy to come over to NA , adjust to a different culture, adjust to a different ice surface, different players, different coach and system...... well.... if he can just fit in at all would be great. Especially when it’s in the middle of playoff hockey!
Yep, absolutely - The expectation right now should be for him to get his feet wet, start getting comfortable in the room, and work hard in practice to adjust to the new game.

Some production would be great for his confidence, though, I'm sure.

Reactions: teddygmr

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The guy that had 0 goals and 10 assists in 57 games this season?

I'll take a ~25-30 point winger though I guess, which is what he put up in his previous 2 NHL seasons before putting up average KHL numbers.

This season he has been injured all year. Im talking about his previous 2 seasons.

Wouldn't be all that bad for a 23 year old. Put that with either Tavares or Matthews and those numbers can be better as he didn't play with top players in Dallas in those seasons or this past one. Always on third line with Spezza.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Thoughts

I cant comment on that specific comparison, but imo a victory isnif he becomes anything better than a replacement level 4th line guy

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Thoughts

I'd take Korshkov, and show him tapes of Hyman... tell him, play hard like that, and you will succeed. He's got better hands than Hyman, but if he can learn to use his size, and hopefully he's bulked up some... he could be very useful

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Scouting report
Owns a tremendously projectable frame and plenty of high-end skill. A dangler, he is a creative playmaker with a lot of smarts. Protects the puck well and is at his best with the puck on his blade. Could stand to shoot the puck more so as to keep opposing defensemen honest, since he tends to look for the pass a little too often. Needs to fill out his huge frame to maximize output.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Potential
Big, talented playmaker with upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
With that sort of SR, you would think you want him playing with your shooters, Matthews, Tavares, Hyman ;)

6'4' , 180lbs, kind of a skinny guy.

Reactions: nobody

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009
Scouting report
Owns a tremendously projectable frame and plenty of high-end skill. A dangler, he is a creative playmaker with a lot of smarts. Protects the puck well and is at his best with the puck on his blade. Could stand to shoot the puck more so as to keep opposing defensemen honest, since he tends to look for the pass a little too often. Needs to fill out his huge frame to maximize output.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Potential
Big, talented playmaker with upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
With that sort of SR, you would think you want him playing with your shooters, Matthews, Tavares, Hyman ;)

6'4' , 180lbs, kind of a skinny guy.
When was the last time his weight was updated? Wasn’t that what he weighed when he was drafted by the Leafs? I’d imagine he’s heavier now, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad