Confirmed with Link: TOR signs F Yegor Korshkov to 2 year ELC

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We need to see how he does over here and under our development. There are some Russian people that think he's going to surprise.

Think of it this way, he's replacing the useless Josh Jooris on our 50 man roster.
Agreed.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Russian forward I’m all for. Russian dman however, there’s no such thing. Glad oz is gone and now we need to get rid of Zaistev.

Reactions: Blueboy

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
whats the issue? 6'5" Left handed shooting winger, good hands, has a power forward' ish type game, I have watched him play a number of times since we drafted him.
It seems irrational to think that a guy who has never produced offensively in the KHL, who has suffered multiple serious injuries over the past few seasons, who has never played a game in a North American league, will be able to come over and play on our top line with one of the best players in the world.

I hope he can come over and transition immediately into a top 6 forward in the NHL. That's not a reasonable expectation though given his career trajectory and stat lines.

Reactions: DanM

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He's looked like a bust since we drafted him, remember seeing him completely breaking his knee one season too from a viscous knee on knee I think.

Now we can finally see what he's made of, marlie forward depth is pretty bad, so I'll assume he slots right into the line up.

Lets hope he turns into a good player after names we passed on include Hart, Debrincat, Raddysh and Girard

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why? Pretty sure he's a bust. Can't have another Gauthier type player on the team just because of his size.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Why? Pretty sure he's a bust. Can't have another Gauthier type player on the team just because of his size.
I don't think he'll be a bust, since he's a pretty high floor guy by the sounds of it. Unfortunately, he'll almost certainly be a draft disappointment. Especially when you think about who the Leafs could've drafted instead

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Your smart enough to know Nylander had progressed a lot more then Korshkov had.

My "smarrt enough to know Nylander" did what exactly? ;)

But seriously, an argument can still be made that Korshkov has shown equivalent progression to Nylander.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It seems irrational to think that a guy who has never produced offensively in the KHL, who has suffered multiple serious injuries over the past few seasons, who has never played a game in a North American league, will be able to come over and play on our top line with one of the best players in the world.

I hope he can come over and transition immediately into a top 6 forward in the NHL. That's not a reasonable expectation though given his career trajectory and stat lines.

He led the Russian WJCU20 in points and then suffered a couple of serious injuries in the KHL and most likely was never playing at 100%. He was on the Russian National teams B squad. His style of game is more suited for NA, I don't see an issue playing on a line with Matthews even if he is "one of the best players in the world"

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Glad to see he's finally coming over. He's been one of Hunter's questionable picks but brings elements that the Leafs are lacking Hopefully he pans out into a top 9 winger.

yeah we invested a pretty high pick in him, and it's looking like an impossible hill to climb for Korshkov to make it a good one. Carter Hart would be pretty nice to have right now, to name one.

But if he can still make the team in some capacity, at least it won't be a complete bust. Korshkov seems more billed as a scoring player than a Russian Goat. guess we'll see.

at this point we're in salvage mode on this guy. Not sure how else we can look at it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You seem to have watched him quite a bit, tell me more please?

A 22 year old soon to be 23 year old with his stats isn't going to be anything more than a 4th line guy at best. He's a bust. Big swing and a miss.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
A 22-year-old soon to be 23 years old with his stats isn't going to be anything more than a 4th line guy at best. He's a bust. Big swing and a miss.

it's best you wait and see before making these kinds of silly claims.

Reactions: cookie

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Why do I have a feeling this kid is going to be trash defensively.

11 goals, 31 pts in 71 games over the last 2 seasons in the KHL.

Bust.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
A 22 year old soon to be 23 year old with his stats isn't going to be anything more than a 4th line guy at best. He's a bust. Big swing and a miss.

Hmm, so admittedly you're stat watching, and not even doing a good job at it. Cool.

Reactions: cookie

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He led the Russian WJCU20 in points and then suffered a couple of serious injuries in the KHL and most likely was never playing at 100%. He was on the Russian National teams B squad. His style of game is more suited for NA, I don't see an issue playing on a line with Matthews even if he is "one of the best players in the world"
Take a look through the stat lines of NHL players who came over from the KHL. The most comparable I can find is Valeri Nichushkin. Otherwise, every player's numbers absolutely crush Korshkov's.

Again, I hope he becomes a good player. I haven't seen him play in two years nor am I claiming to have. However, stats do mean something for a forward and the comparables aren't good. They definitely aren't top 6 forward good.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
My "smarrt enough to know Nylander" did what exactly? ;)

But seriously, an argument can still be made that Korshkov has shown equivalent progression to Nylander.

Omg LOL i thought you meant William for a second :biglaugh:.

Honestly, you're not wrong - Alex has severly disappointed, but the guy still has 60+ point upside if he figures it out. Don't see that with Korshkov.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Because you probably associate all Russians as defensively irresponsible.

Honestly there was a poll earlier in the year talking about "who's the best defensive russian" and when i checked they're all awful or below average except Panarin.

It's weird how they went from guys like Fedorov/Datsyuk to Kuzy/Ovy.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
it's best you wait and see before making these kinds of silly claims.

It's not a silly claim. This was a bad pick from day one and it only got worse because of his injury.

One of the reasons why Hunter is no longer with this team.

If he can do what Gauthier did this season, it will be a big success for him. Sadly, he'll be guaranteed a spot because our dumbass coach wants size in the lineup but Bracco won't even get a chance because he's too damn small. Who cares about talent.

Reactions: AreBe

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Omg LOL i thought you meant William for a second :biglaugh:.

Honestly, you're not wrong - Alex has severly disappointed, but the guy still has 60+ point upside if he figures it out. Don't see that with Korshkov.

I'm not talking about NHL upside...Do you know what progression means?

Its "the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state."

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I was going to say,

This thread should be three posts long. After Warden of The North said:

"Finally.

Going to the Marlies too.

A real stretch for Hunter. I hope he pans out."

A third post that read, "We'll see. It'll be interesting to see what happens." should have ended it. Yegor Korshkov: Six pages and counting...

And then I remembered we have have umpteen threads on the go berating the club, writing of it's impending implosion, etc, etc, etc...

Six pages (and counting...) of Yegor Korshkov is precisely the kind of thread we need until Marner is actually signed or traded, or until the season is over and the draft arrives.

The tone of the Leafs boards feels like it's at an all-time low, and it's borderline repellent.

Reactions: AreBe

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Take a look through the stat lines of NHL players who came over from the KHL. The most comparable I can find is Valeri Nichushkin. Otherwise, every player's numbers absolutely crush Korshkov's.

Again, I hope he becomes a good player. I haven't seen him play in two years nor am I claiming to have. However, stats do mean something for a forward and the comparables aren't good. They definitely aren't top 6 forward good.

apparently, stats mean everything to you, Hyman should be up for huge raise soon!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad