Confirmed with Link: TOR signs F Yegor Korshkov to 2 year ELC

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
One year deal after ripping up the AHL. Now he probably wants around 4. Gotta lock up your depth not give them one year deals. You sign plugs to one year deals not guys who have shown they have real potential. Signing those types of guys to one year deals gets you burned which is exactly what has happened.
Young talented winger on one year deal + playing with world class center = ****ty cap management.
Johnsson accepted his qualifying offer, which is always for 1 year - What exactly would you like Dubas to do about that?

Recent reports have Dubas trying to lock up Johnsson now for a multi-year deal in the ~$2.1-3M range, which I'm perfectly comfortable with, depending on the term.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Unless Matthews learns to improve his play making ability, this will never happen. This is why a line with Johnsson and Kapanen doesn't work long term. Three shooters. Nylander is the perfect winger for him (well Marner truly is). But Matthews hasn't shown the ability to really elevate his wingers' games like Tavares and Marner can.

And just as I type that, not to derail the thread, but considering Marner elevates anyones game and so does Tavares based on his time on the Island (Moulson, Okposo, Paranteau, Lee)...why are the lines not...

Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen

??

Matthews needs to improve his play making ability? This is where everyone has it wrong.

Why can Tavares be given a play making winger like Marner to reach career highs this season. But Matthews himself needs to be a play making center? Why can we just reunite Matthews with Nylander who is also a play making winger prior to shooter and let them work as the previously mentioned?

I don't know if a player like Korshkov can score 20 goals with Matthews and Nylander. But to say a player is going to succeed only when another is a playmaker!!! Sorry that's plain stupid. A line is made of 3 players. All should bring complimentary skill sets for it to succeed. Matthews is a shooter and a damn good one. Put him with Marner and he would have scored 50 goals this season even with all the games missed. Put him with players like Johnsson and Kapanen as he was all season and he still had 30+ goals and 30+ assists.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Johnsson accepted his qualifying offer, which is always for 1 year - What exactly would you like Dubas to do about that?

Recent reports have Dubas trying to lock up Johnsson now for a multi-year deal in the ~$2.1-3M range, which I'm perfectly comfortable with, depending on the term.
Fair enough. I'd be happy with that as well, the Hyman deal would suit me just fine.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Unless Matthews learns to improve his play making ability, this will never happen. This is why a line with Johnsson and Kapanen doesn't work long term. Three shooters. Nylander is the perfect winger for him (well Marner truly is). But Matthews hasn't shown the ability to really elevate his wingers' games like Tavares and Marner can.

And just as I type that, not to derail the thread, but considering Marner elevates anyones game and so does Tavares based on his time on the Island (Moulson, Okposo, Paranteau, Lee)...why are the lines not...

Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen

??

Let’s pencil him in on one top lines so the Leafs can win another off season championship.

We wont know if he’s any good until he plays a few exhibition games.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Engvall I think will be more NHL ready next season than Korshkov and he is 6'5" every day too.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Fair enough. I'd be happy with that as well, the Hyman deal would suit me just fine.
Hyman deal + inflation would suit me just fine as well. Johnsson was banking on himself during the season, and reportedly declined both offers ($2.1M x 2 / $2.6M x 4), so we'll have to see how it plays out, but I don't see him getting more than 3M at the end of the day, unless there's solid term.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Engvall I think will be more NHL ready next season than Korshkov and he is 6'5" every day too.

6"5 and a tooth pick. That kid needs to put on some body fat before he becomes relevant. Watched many Marlie games this season where Engvall folds like a cheap tent. This kid can be a force in the NHL if he only added another 25 pounds of muscle and fat to his frame.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I don't think his stat line is what would make him a fit on that line.

It would be everything else he might have, which I doubt more than a couple people on this site would know.

I'm not suggesting he is on Matthews line, I'm suggesting if he brings the right intangibles being on that line could be a good fit for the same reason Hyman is good in the top 6 when many suggest he's a bottom sixer. Hyman as a 24 year old in the NHL had 28 points.
"everything else he might have" is nice but if he can't put up stats he shouldn't be playing with Matthews. He can play with Kadri maybe. Nothing I've read indicates his motor is close to Hyman's

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
6"5 and a tooth pick. That kid needs to put on some body fat before he becomes relevant. Watched many Marlie games this season where Engvall folds like a cheap tent. This kid can be a force in the NHL if he only added another 25 pounds of muscle and fat to his frame.

If accurate from Hockey DB Korshkov 6'4" 180
Engvall 6'5" 214

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
"everything else he might have" is nice but if he can't put up stats he shouldn't be playing with Matthews. He can play with Kadri maybe. Nothing I've read indicates his motor is close to Hyman's

Yep, we don't know.

To be fair, no one knows until he's on the ice with NHL players we won't know.

And Hyman is 6'1", not a lot of players 6'4" motor like Hyman does, but some do go into the corner and hold their own against other players. Leafs really don't have much of that in their top 6 wingers.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I don't know about you but everything I read on him was that he was playing 10-12 min a night in the KHL on a very poor offensive team. Really didn't get the opportunity to excel offensively when your playing those minutes and with that quality of talent. Pair that with his broken leg that he suffered.....really don't know you can mark him down as a player that cannot excel with the right linemates!

Reactions: Eye Test

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Is his mobility NHL level?
Does he use his size?

That can make all the difference.

He's identified as a RW, does he play the off-wing?

It would be nice to have something like this.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner (if retained)
Korshkov-Matthews-Nylander
Engvall-Kadri-Kapanen
Marchment-Brooks-Moore

What is this nonsense??!!! Marner isn't going any where. Quit listening to the chicken little media.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Yep, we don't know.

And Hyman is 6'1", not a lot of players 6'4" motor like Hyman does, but some do go into the corner and hold their own against other players. Leafs really don't have much of that in their top 6 wingers.

I agree with this. Until we see what he can do in the AHL and NHL there is no point in penciling him anywhere. But what you said is correct. 6"4 isn't anything to sneeze at, and if he can do for Matthews what Hyman did for him in his first 2 seasons with him. This is all the Leafs really need on Matthews wing. I don't think its necessary to find an instant 30 goal winger. Hyman type player is fine by me.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Low expectations, but would love to br proven wrong by the guy.

Would imagine he starts with the Marlies unless they think hes ready for 4thine duties. But will face competition

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree with this. Until we see what he can do in the AHL and NHL there is no point in penciling him anywhere. But what you said is correct. 6"4 isn't anything to sneeze at, and if he can do for Matthews what Hyman did for him in his first 2 seasons with him. This is all the Leafs really need on Matthews wing. I don't think its necessary to find an instant 30 goal winger. Hyman type player is fine by me.

The thing with Hyman is, although he obviously cant think/see the game as quickly as Matthew's he latest keeps up with the fast skilled guys, it doesn't sound as I Korshkovs skating is that strong (though I'll openly admit I haven't seem him play much, especially recently

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Yep, we don't know.

its not fair to Korshkov but I'm just really pissed we passed on DeBrincat, I wanted to draft him so bad. Instead Hunter drafted a bunch of giants and none of them have panned out, obviously excluding Matthews

Reactions: Eye Test

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Just out of curiosity, who do people think is better (or has a higher ceiling), Korshkov or Mikheyev?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
24 goals in 172 games over 5 seasons in the KHL.

At 22 years old.... He was 17 when he broke into the league, he has been playing for a team that isnt the best offensively and it is widely acknowledged that any player with NHL aspirations get frigged around by their team. He also spent most of this season out with a significant injury.

Just for reference, at 22 Panarins stat line looked like this: 50 goals in 209 games over 5 seasons or 0.24 G/GP. Now consider Panarin is a P/GP+ player who scores 30 year consistently.

Reactions: cookie and teddygmr

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well well I wonder if we will see him tonight. He has a stall and #96 already. I guess we will know if he is on ice at 11 am morning skate. I really hope Keefe does not mess with what worked in round 1. But curious to see what we got here too.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
At 22 years old.... He was 17 when he broke into the league, he has been playing for a team that isnt the best offensively and it is widely acknowledged that any player with NHL aspirations get frigged around by their team. He also spent most of this season out with a significant injury.

Just for reference, at 22 Panarins stat line looked like this: 50 goals in 209 games over 5 seasons or 0.24 G/GP. Now consider Panarin is a P/GP+ player who scores 30 year consistently.
After 5 seasons:
Korshkov - 0.378 P/GP
Panarin - 0.385 P/GP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad