Confirmed with Link: TOR sign RD Zach Bogosian [1 year, 1M]

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I really like the addition of Bogosian. However due to his injury history, I wouldn't pencil him in any higher than the third pair.

I also don't think Dubas is finished making moves with this roster. Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Bogosian, Dermott, Holl, Lethonen and even Sandin is way too many dmen fighting for 6 spots.
Well, Sandin and Liljegren can stay in the minors again and Lethonen is not a lock by any means. People are penciling him in despite having zero reason to believe he'll slide in so easily . He's a question mark, and for that alone, the Leafs need a few guys that can come, and if there is no minor league season and a potential taxi squad system being implemented, then the Leafs will need a few guys on defence that can play

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Just a tip when you watch a fight always look for guys who are looking away and don't want to go toe to toe. Watch Ritchie go with Dillon. Dillon at least tried to go toe for toe before he got rag dolled. Wilson once he took the first big hit turned sideways and cowered. It is what we all do. Not putting down Wilson. He tried. But he is not in Reeves Ritchie and Chara weight class. It is just a different level. Clifford is close but not quite there.

thanks for the tip... still isn’t rag dolling.... been watching hockey for over 20 years, think I have a pretty good handle on a no contest fight. Also some good fighters lose to lesser fighters..just because someone “isn’t in the same class” it does not automatically mean someone was rag dolled. This was a good fight... a rag dolling is 100% unanimous, the other guy didn’t even stand a chance. In this case the guy you say rag dolled the other went for stitches while the guy you say got rag dolled... went to the bench unscathed.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
thanks for the tip... still isn’t rag dolling.... been watching hockey for over 20 years, think I have a pretty good handle on a no contest fight. Also some good fighters lose to lesser fighters..just because someone “isn’t in the same class” it does not automatically mean someone was rag dolled. This was a good fight... a rag dolling is 100% unanimous, the other guy didn’t even stand a chance. In this case the guy you say rag dolled the other went for stitches while the guy you say got rag dolled... went to the bench unscathed.
Gotcha ... yeah i mean Ritchie got in 2 shots that hurt but Wilson stayed up kudos to him ... fight vote was 84% Ritchie - 4% Wilson and 12% undecided ... but Ritchie did get cut from a left but that is what happens when you are looking straight at other guy and other guy drops his shoulder and head to only give you a back of head shot then shoots blind lefts from clutch ... Even Dillon tried to go straight up toe to toe but he had to turn because he did not want to get knocked out after feeling da power ... and then he really only got clocked when he released Ritchie shoulder and ate 3 or 4 left hooks to face to end it

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We'll see. Leafs have done a putrid job developing Dermott, hope they don't make the same mistake with Sandin too.
OHL 1 year to AHL 1 year to NHL spare 1 year all after being drafted. Now he has been playing 3rd pair in the last two seasons in a sheltered role full time.

Damn how did we miss this!

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
As I've stated before for those calling him/pencilling him in as a #7...Dubas today called him a big addition and that he will kill penalties and be given a chance to crack the top 4. And that he'll have the opportunity to play as high up as his performance dictates. Just thought I'd bring that to the attention of the haters who think a guy with 0 NHL games is going to play over Bogo. Bogo was brought in to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
As I've stated before for those calling him/pencilling him in as a #7...Dubas today called him a big addition and that he will kill penalties and be given a chance to crack the top 4. And that he'll have the opportunity to play as high up his performance dictates. Just thought I'd bring that to the attention of the haters who think a guy with 0 NHL games is going to play over Bogo. Bogo was brought in to play.
doesn't really matter what Dubas or any other person says about how many mins or what role he'll have since his play and those who he's competing with play should dictate there usage

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
As I've stated before for those calling him/pencilling him in as a #7...Dubas today called him a big addition and that he will kill penalties and be given a chance to crack the top 4. And that he'll have the opportunity to play as high up his performance dictates. Just thought I'd bring that to the attention of the haters who think a guy with 0 NHL games is going to play over Bogo. Bogo was brought in to play.

What is he going to say? "We brought in Bogosian to sit on the bench, we think he's garbage". Lol come on the quote means nothing.

He's [significantly] worse than all of Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Dermott, and Holl. I only didn't mention Lehtonen because we have no idea how he will translate. If he plays like a top-4 guy like some predict how is Bogo going to find a spot in the lineup over him?

He's here in case Lehtonen can't cut it, we have to trade one of Holl/Dermott, we want to play 7D in a game, or if we have injuries. Him playing in our top-4 would be a mess unless he has a randomly good season... which would be strange because he hasnt had a slightly above average season (or better) where he played at least 22 games since 2016-17 (and only has two in his 13 year career).

Aka he has had stretches of being an above average defenseman (2017-18 - 18GP & 2014-15 - 21GP) but for the most part he could barely be considered an average defenseman in the NHL.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
What is he going to say? "We brought in Bogosian to sit on the bench, we think he's garbage". Lol come on the quote means nothing.

He's [significantly] worse than all of Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Dermott, and Holl. I only didn't mention Lehtonen because we have no idea how he will translate. If he plays like a top-4 guy like some predict how is Bogo going to find a spot in the lineup over him?

He's here in case Lehtonen can't cut it, we have to trade one of Holl/Dermott, we want to play 7D in a game, or if we have injuries. Him playing in our top-4 would be a mess unless he has a randomly good season... which would be strange because he hasnt had a slightly above average season (or better) where he played at least 22 games since 2016-17 (and only has two in his 13 year career).

Aka he has had stretches of being an above average defenseman (2017-18 - 18GP & 2014-15 - 21GP) but for the most part he could barely be considered an average defenseman in the NHL.
You don't talk about his role and say the words "top 4" if he isn't playing. The fact I have to spell that out is slightly embarrassing tbh. Totally understand the concept of what you say publicly isn't always the case when you are trying to still get full value for a guy in a trade etc. You can simply say we like what he brings to our team etc and other positive blank statements. To say it the way Dubas did...he's playing. He always was playing. He's not here unless Lehtonen can't cut it. He's here to play. If Lehtonen can "cut it", Dubas would look to move Holl or Dermott during camp. They want what Bogosian brings. He isn't a #7. It's simple. Thornton even mentioned Bogosian as guys they've brought in that makes him think we're ready to compete. The style, and intangibles he brings make him a lock. I don't know why people can't accept that. Guess Thornton was playing GM too and saying what he had to say *face palm*

Reactions: qqaz

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You don't talk about his role and say the words "top 4" if he isn't playing. The fact I have to spell that out is slightly embarrassing tbh. Totally understand the concept of what you say publicly isn't always the case when you are trying to still get full value for a guy his trade etc. You can simply say we like what he brings to our team etc and other positive blank statements. To say it the way Dubas did...he's playing. He always was playing. He's not here unless Lehtonen can't cut it. He's here to play. If Lehtonen can "cut it", Dubas would look to move Holl or Dermott during camp. They want what Bogosian brings. He isn't a #7. It's simple

Lol its embarassing that you're putting faith in comments where he can't say anything different without upsetting the player, but ok.

It's literally shocking to me to think that some people believe Bogosian could make one of Holl/Dermott expendable?

Like so you're telling me if Lehtonen CAN cut it, we'll trade a significantly better defenseman than Bogosian (Holl/Dermott) to fit him into the lineup? Lmao ok.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
doesn't really matter what Dubas or any other person says about how many mins or what role he'll have since his play and those who he's competing with play should dictate there usage
As is with anyone. I'm saying Dubas envisions him in the roster. He was signed to be on the roster. Ya for sure if he shows up 30lbs overweight and sucks he won't play. But I'm more than willing to take bets you see him in the lineup opening night..if anyone wants to put their money where their mouth is instead of just playing the pessimist role

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Lol its embarassing that you're putting faith in comments where he can't say anything different without upsetting the player, but ok.

It's literally shocking to me to think that some people believe Bogosian could make one of Holl/Dermott expendable?

Like so you're telling me if Lehtonen CAN cut it, we'll trade a significantly better defenseman than Bogosian (Holl/Dermott) to fit him into the lineup? Lmao ok.
I don't think he makes anyone expendable, but I can't see him being a healthy scratch early in the year just due to optics. He may play his way in to a rotation for 6/7 but he'll start the season on the bottom pair IMO, even if it's not the optimal decision.

Reactions: Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Bogosian is a top 6 on the Leafs opening night. Care to make a wager on it or just interested in talking? lol

Last edited:

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Also why would you let Lehtonen make anyone expendable? He plays lights out...you can't afford him next year anyways. He plays mediocre and would want a raise next year, why bounce a cost controlled Holl who's of similar age or a younger Dermott who we've developed? Or continue to bury guys like Sandin or Liljegren? Bogo is going to keep re-upping on small deals or move aside to make way for our youth. Lehtonen going to come over as the best D outside the NHL, throw up an ok year, and want 4.5m per x 7yrs like Zaitsev?lol pass. I don't see the point in losing Dermott over Lehtonen, I only see the point in losing Holl over Lehtonen if it's a cap move. And Bogo brings something none of the above mentioned have, and that's why he'll play.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think he makes anyone expendable, but I can't see him being a healthy scratch early in the year just due to optics. He may play his way in to a rotation for 6/7 but he'll start the season on the bottom pair IMO, even if it's not the optimal decision.

I dont think he'll be healthied every game, but I think the only way he plays more than 40-50 games is if:

a) lehtonen cant cut it
b) holl or Dermott get traded/fall off a cliff
c) injuries

The main issue I took with his post was more that he believes he'll be a top-4 defenseman when in reality he's either our 6/7 depending on how Lehtonen plays.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Penalty killers on the team, handedness, and TOI on PK/game last season:

Bogo - R - 2:07
Holl - R - 1:59

Muzzin - L - 2:33
Rielly - L - 1:59
Marincin - L - 1:39
Brodie - L - 1:38
Dermott - L - 1:10

The only question is how many minutes does Lehtonen play on the PK? Couldn't get the KHL stats.

Sandin and Rosen have negligible PK minutes.

I wonder if lineup decisions will be affected by PK ability. Personally, I'm hoping to see Rielly less.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Also why would you let Lehtonen make anyone expendable? He plays lights out...you can't afford him next year anyways. He plays mediocre and would want a raise next year, why bounce a cost controlled Holl who's of similar age or a younger Dermott who we've developed? Or continue to bury guys like Sandin or Liljegren? Bogo is going to keep re-upping on small deals or move aside to make way for our youth. Lehtonen going to come over as the best D outside the NHL, throw up an ok year, and want 4.5m per x 7yrs like Zaitsev?lol pass. I don't see the point in losing Dermott over Lehtonen, I only see the point in losing Holl over Lehtonen if it's a cap move. And Bogo brings something none of the above mentioned have, and that's why he'll play.

Uh... ok. A lot to unpack here:

A) you said Lehtonen playing well would make Dermott/Holl expendable, not me. I don't think that's possible unless Lehtonen is better than we think and in that case yes, I'd be more than willing to give him a large deal. Zaitsev there were major red flags from the beginning that we hoped would get better in time.

B) there are 6/7 defenseman like Bogo that come available every year in FA. Sure if he plays well we can do that, but he's stealing a spot from Liljegren/Sandin/other guys when in reality he might be worse than them today.

C) My main argument here is that he should not be an everyday player, especially if Lehtonen is as good as advertised. Even less likely that he will play as a top-4 without injuries. Like I said: he hasnt had a season with sustained average or better play in over 3 years. If he plays that way, fantastic- absolute steal of a deal. I'd say it's way more likely he plays ~50 games on the bottom pair due to injuries and getting him into the lineup.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Thanks buddy. I could use more people with common sense. This #7 stuff is giving me a headache.

"Common sense"

What exactly are you basing your "he's an everyday player, possibly a top-4 guy" on?

Because here I am saying he's a 6/7 based on his analytical performance, the fact that he hasnt played more than 70 games since 2010-11 and as recently as last season has been healthied.

I don't hate the signing like I thought I would, but you're thinking he is way more than he is likely to be. Essentially people disagreeing with you are idiots and youre not really telling us why you believe he's that good?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Uh... ok. A lot to unpack here:

A) you said Lehtonen playing well would make Dermott/Holl expendable, not me. I don't think that's possible unless Lehtonen is better than we think and in that case yes, I'd be more than willing to give him a large deal. Zaitsev there were major red flags from the beginning that we hoped would get better in time.

B) there are 6/7 defenseman like Bogo that come available every year in FA. Sure if he plays well we can do that, but he's stealing a spot from Liljegren/Sandin/other guys when in reality he might be worse than them today.

C) My main argument here is that he should not be an everyday player, especially if Lehtonen is as good as advertised. Even less likely that he will play as a top-4 without injuries. Like I said: he hasnt had a season with sustained average or better play in over 3 years. If he plays that way, fantastic- absolute steal of a deal. I'd say it's way more likely he plays ~50 games on the bottom pair due to injuries and getting him into the lineup.
I agree with most of this. My point was Bogosian was signed to play. It's not a media play by Dubas. When asked why he defended Ceci and didn't bring him back at his 1.25m price tag, Dubas said they wanted Brodie and they wanted a guy like Bogosian who brings a different element. Bogosian will play. That's just the fact of it unless he craps the bed. We want and need the style in which he plays the game. Dubas wasn't just pumping tires cuz that's his job. We truly want him in our top 6. That's all I'm saying. Where Lehtonen does or doesn't fit into that, I don't know.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
"Common sense"

What exactly are you basing your "he's an everyday player, possibly a top-4 guy" on?

Because here I am saying he's a 6/7 based on his analytical performance, the fact that he hasnt played more than 70 games since 2010-11 and as recently as last season has been healthied.

I don't hate the signing like I thought I would, but you're thinking he is way more than he is likely to be. Essentially people disagreeing with you are idiots and youre not really telling us why you believe he's that good?
Why he's that good? He'll be our #6. If that's "that good"...my bad. He was brought in to play 3rd pairing right side imo. Playing as high as he wants and playing top four and all that is Dubas leaving the door open to competition. But he was brought in to play. That much is clear. His style is desperately needed and Dubas along with most of Leafs nation has noticed his style is everything we have been lacking. Dubas noted Dallas signing Pavelski, Perry, Sekara in comparison to Thornton,Simmonds,Bogosian. He fully intends for Bogo to play. Exactly what am I basing what Dubas said on? Umm...I guess what Dubas said is what I'm basing it on. Bogosian has averaged 21 minutes of ice time over the course of his fairly lengthy career. Those are top 4 minutes... although I do think he'll be 3rd pairing (but my point is that he's playing, not a #7, that's it that's all). Hes had injuries, and has been scratched due to contract on a non-competitive team. That has a lot to due with a 5+ million contract on a team going nowhere, than it has with inability to play the game. He's playing. That's all I've been saying.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad