Confirmed with Link: TOR sign Jimmy Vesey (1 year, 900K)

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think Vesey-Kerfoot-Simmonds is the penciled in third line right now.

Robertson, Anderson, Barabanov, Korshkov could all work their way in.

Spezza will be on the fourth line. Engvall could be there.

A lot of competition, which is nice.

Yeah Robertson might start with the Marlies. Theres gonna be a lot of competition in the bottom 6. On paper we are bigger and harder to play against. Maybe not "tougher" in the traditional sense. The team is clearly improved, although I'd still be happy with another RD as Bogo has a long injury history.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah Robertson might start with the Marlies. Theres gonna be a lot of competition in the bottom 6. On paper we are bigger and harder to play against. Maybe not "tougher" in the traditional sense. The team is clearly improved, although I'd still be happy with another RD as Bogo has a long injury history.
Robertson can't play for the Marlies.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Robertson can't play for the Marlies.

Oh yeah I forgot he'd have to back to CHL. Damn woulda liked if he played against fully grown adults.

He'd only be able to play in the plsyoffs for the Marlies no?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If there isn’t an OHL season but there’s an AHL season, he likely would be able too
It will depend on many factors, but I can't see them allowing CHL eligible drafted players to have a leg up on those that are undrafted.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Oh yeah I forgot he'd have to back to CHL. Damn woulda liked if he played against fully grown adults.

I think they may have to figure something out so all those kids aren't sitting around.

Just going to be strange to see leagues not playing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It will depend on many factors, but I can't see them allowing CHL eligible drafted players to have a leg up on those that are undrafted.

Not really a leg up. It’s just players that are NHL property playing with an affiliate because the OHL isn’t functioning.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
These are not the guys you sign if you’re trying to get harder to play against in the playoffs, especially as you move on and have to adjust and play the dump and chase game more.

St. Louis signed Kyle Clifford for 2 years at $1 million per...which I'd rather have...but I guess Dubas needed a replacement for Johnsson.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not really a leg up. It’s just players that are NHL property playing with an affiliate because the OHL isn’t functioning.
Ya gotta figure they’ll find a way to get the minors/draftees active.
Baseball found a way, if not optimal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I like this addition. I think he has the ability to play top 6 in the event it’s required but brings a heavier presence to a 3rd line unit.

Getting a Hyman type player at least on every line is a good start.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

It really has nothing to do with giving undrafted guys a chance. The deal is about the CHL not wanting to lose all their top 19-20 year olds. If there’s no CHL season, there is no reason to stop those players from playing in the AHL.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That's why they are bringing in these bottom 6 guys, to fill that role in the bottom 6
Hyman deserves his position
I don't see how you can have Hyman 2 lines below Vesey. He scored 21g 2 years in a row, this year a shortened season no less, and grinds. We need more guys like Hyman and less like Vesey. He's a depth scorer suitable for the 3rd line. No more.

You guys are gonna have your hearts broke for the millionth time of you expect Vesey to be a 1st liner.

There is a difference between high expectations and acknowledging it’s a clear downgrade to improve the roster elsewhere...

Hyman will still get 20 minutes a game on both PP and PK and be a driver of a 3rd line.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Don’t know why but this weird feeling they may try him with one of the top 2 lines. May not work, but I’m just not convinced Mikheyev is gonna work in the top 6. He thrived on the 3rd line before his injury and I still see him a better fit on the third line then with JT and Nylander.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
$900k for a guy who scored ~17 goals every season he didn't play in Buffalo. Why not? At worst, he can be buried in the minors, and at best, he's a 15-20 goal scoring third line winger making less than a million dollars. Seems like a strong play driver (+5% above league average per HockeyViz's model) and can also apparently kill penalties pretty well. He used to play with Kerfoot in college apparently as well, so maybe there's some chemistry there. By all accounts he isn't the best skater, or a skilled playmaker, but overall he's a solid bottom six winger for dirt cheap.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

There are leagues in Europe where he would fit in perfectly. I think another year in the OHL would be okay as he fills out but in Finland or Sweden he could play against men.

Reactions: taurine330

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There is a difference between high expectations and acknowledging it’s a clear downgrade to improve the roster elsewhere...

Hyman will still get 20 minutes a game on both PP and PK and be a driver of a 3rd line.
Why would you move him when he does a great job there and yo just acquired 3rd line help at a cheaper hit?
It doesn't seem logical

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I like this addition. I think he has the ability to play top 6 in the event it’s required but brings a heavier presence to a 3rd line unit.

Getting a Hyman type player at least on every line is a good start.

You think Vesey plays like Hyman? I wish.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dubas is FINALLY doing what I have wanted them to do for since he became GM .

He's FINALLY adding REAL depth.

this is his best job he has done as GM.

I still don't think they are done

Reactions: Faltorvo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad