Confirmed with Link: TOR sign Jimmy Vesey (1 year, 900K)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That's a bit unfair.

Xgf%

1. Nylander 61.0
2. Thornton 60.3
3. Engvall 58.1
4. Hyman 57.7
5. Matthews 54.9
6. Mikheyev 53.0
7. Vesey 52.1
8. Tavares 51.7
9. Marner 45.9
10. Kerfoot 42.5
11. Simmonds 36.7
12. Spezza 32.5
13. Barabanov 19.8

Xgf relative

1. Nylander +14.5
2. Engvall +13.4
3. Thornton +11.3
4. Hyman +11.2
5. Matthews +5.6
6. Mikheyev +3.4
7. Vesey +2.3
8. Tavares +2.0
9. Marner -7.6
10. Kerfoot -10.1
11. Simmonds -16.1
12. Spezza -21.0
13. Barabanov -28.0

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
4th line just so bad...

Vesey has been fine for me. I haven’t minded his game. I would take out Barbanov or Spezza before I considered sitting Vesey.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I feel like Vesey, for the most part, has been quiet but effective. While his offense has mostly just been opportunistic to this point, he does some really nice things off of the puck which I think helps out Nylander and Tavares.

I think he has been good enough where the Leafs should not be forced to take him out of the top 6, especially with Thornton and Robertson injured for over a month.

Reactions: banks and Ciao

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
4th line just so bad...

Vesey has been fine for me. I haven’t minded his game. I would take out Barbanov or Spezza before I considered sitting Vesey.

Barabanov has not been great thus far. He may get another couple more games, but I think after that he could end up on the taxi squad for a little bit so he can just focus on practice and adjusting to the NHL for a little bit.

Spezza's problem is he is mostly not generating offense 5-on-5 right now, so his overall Corsi looks bad. He has the highest defensive zone starts in his career but also has the best CA/60 he's had yet as well, so defensively he is doing quite well. He is also providing a ton of value in the faceoff circle. I think he just needs a guy who can transition the puck with their legs, which is Spezza's main weakness right now. Barabanov has speed, but he's struggling to adjust, and Simmonds is slower than Spezza so he doesn't help in transition. He's looked a little bit better with Engvall.

Reactions: uncleben

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
engvall and mikheyev havent gotten the points for it but occasionally i see them making a few offensive plays leading to chances

i do like vesey on the defensive end but i dont remember watching games and saying hmm that was a nice offensive play by vesey leading to a chance for his C or winger or D

his goals wasnt him doing anything special he was just there...for a guy playing with the big boys i wouldn't mind seeing a bit more offensive displays from him

Reactions: uncleben

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I don't think Vesey is very good, but I think he's good enough to score when set up by MM/AM/JT/WN. He's a nice depth piece who can slide up and down the lineup when needed.

When healthy, I'd personally go with:

Jumbo-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Mik-Kerfoot-Engvall
Vesey-Spezza-Simmonds

Then have Vesey take some shifts for Thornton every game.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The only time he's looked good was with Kerfoot and Nylander. Despite his size he's not very strong on the puck and he doesn't think the game at a level to make up for it. Just a thoroughly mediocre player. Hopefully only have to put up with him for one year though.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The dude is garbage. These players are good for filling in spots. Place holders

but not if you want to contend. I honestly don’t know what John Tavares did to deserve to play with Vessey. He will get you odd goals. But playing with Nylander and Tavares you will pick up goals

he cannot be part of a serious solution. Departure of Kapanen and AJ has our depth thin

Kapanen was very inconsistent and frustrating some times but he always had that game breaking speed. That kept a lot of D on their toes.

Vessey simply cannot be his replacement. The fact that he’s in our top 6 really worries me

I think there was too much confidence in Barabanov being Kappys replacement. Which hasn’t worked out hence why Vessey is being slotted there

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
He's the definition of an average NHL player.

hes the definition of a garbge nhl player.
he sucks ... he cant carry the puck, he has no vision, he cant pass

if it wasnt for 2 muffins in 7 games he would have 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 9 shots, 2 hits,

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was skeptical of the signing and I haven't been a fan of his game thus far. He's got 2 goals but feels like he's had very little impact playing on the lines he's played on. 2 gimme goals that could have been scored by anyone.

We needed a LW when he was signed, so it made sense. I just think the Leafs could have done better than Vesey. They actually could have waited until a couple weeks before the season opened and there was still a lot of options in hindsight.

We'll see how he does as the season progresses, but I wouldn't be surprised if he see's the press box when everyone is healthy. Leafs really need a LW upgrade.

Last edited:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
im most surprised by how bad his stick handling is and how slow carrying the puck...i mean even mikheyev and engvall show nice burst of speed with the puck once in awhile...but for the price thats as good as you can get, players similar to this will be a staple in our bottom 6 since our top boys are paid a lot, which is fine its not like vesey cant play hockey hes just not that good at it

vesey - engvall - simmonds is my bottom line when healthy

engvall looked fine at center last year and i actually like his size and speed and defense, with little flashes of offense so far too...then robertson, hyman and joe will LW our top 3 lines

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We could use Vesey's CAP hit for another vet defender like Bogo ... he brings nothing more than we already have on taxi squad ... i rather have another winger who can forecheck and mix it up a bit and defend like a beast ... he doesn't play like his life depends on each shift

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
time to throw him back on the scrap heap where we found him , better to put someone in the lineup who has some type of motor unlike Vessey who just um , tbh i really don't know what he does on the ice

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I pretty much agree. I think Spezza stays. But Vesey and Barabanov have done very little with their ice time. They're going to drop out of the roster when Jumbo and Robertson are available again.
Yeah Spezz is top draw centre in NHL ... plus he adds a ton of value on PP2 ... but he is getting slower by da second and he needs more rest ... but with a 21 man roster we are screwed

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->