Confirmed with Link: TOR sign Jimmy Vesey (1 year, 900K)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Jimmy Vesey has plenty to prove with Toronto Maple Leafs - TSN.ca

TORONTO —Jimmy Vesey had his pick of teams to land with as a highly touted college free agent in 2016, including a Maple Leafs club that was in hot pursuit of the winger’s services.

Vesey ultimately rejected Toronto’s advances in favour of the New York Rangers, setting up a tumultuous four years that eventually led him back to free agency earlier this month. That’s when the Leafs came calling again, and after hearing some well-placed opinions about the organization, Vesey signed a one-year, $900,000 contract.

“It’s funny the way it works out,” Vesey said during a Zoom call with reporters Thursday. “I have no regrets about the decision I made in 2016. There were family ties [with his father, Jimmy Vesey Sr., working as a Leafs scout]. And this time around, he was all about it. My dad is one of the toughest critics I know, and he has nothing but great things to say about [general manager] Kyle Dubas. And from the conversations I had with Kyle, I was very impressed with his professionalism and I'm excited to be playing for him and for such a first-class organization.”

Vesey is philosophical now about how his NHL tenure has played out, musing that, “They say hockey and life is about the journey and the process and I'm happy where it's taken me so far.” But there’s a sense this deal with Toronto – the least lucrative of his career to date – offers the 27-year-old a chance to prove he’s still that player who garnered so much early attention.

“I wasn't really happy with my season last year. And It was obviously a stressful time with a lot of uncertainty about what's to come ahead,” Vesey admits. “I think my third year in New York, I was having my best year as a pro. I was on pace to be at 20 goals and 20 assists and then at the end of the year, it got away from me a little bit. Maybe I was thinking too much about hitting those milestones. And then I got traded in the summer and had a tough start to the year, got hurt [early]. I’m not sure if I was looking around waiting for someone else to [step up] since I was unfamiliar with the team, but I've been putting it in my mind this summer that this year I can't do that at all. I'm going to come out with my hair on fire.”

Last season’s poor totals aside, Vesey is still a big winger (6-foot-3, 202 pounds) in his prime, and capable of playing on either side while providing some much-needed weight to the Leafs’ bottom six.

“[Toronto] thought I could add to the team and help them get over the hump, so to speak,” Vesey said. “For me personally, I'm just going to come in with a hungry mindset. I like to pride myself on scoring goals when the time's right, so hopefully I can come in and help the team with some timely goals, especially when [you need] secondary scoring [since] the top guys are obviously not going to score every night.”

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

TORONTO —Jimmy Vesey had his pick of teams to land with as a highly touted college free agent in 2016, including a Maple Leafs club that was in hot pursuit of the winger’s services.

Vesey ultimately rejected Toronto’s advances in favour of the New York Rangers, setting up a tumultuous four years that eventually led him back to free agency earlier this month. That’s when the Leafs came calling again, and after hearing some well-placed opinions about the organization, Vesey signed a one-year, $900,000 contract.

“It’s funny the way it works out,” Vesey said during a Zoom call with reporters Thursday. “I have no regrets about the decision I made in 2016. There were family ties [with his father, Jimmy Vesey Sr., working as a Leafs scout]. And this time around, he was all about it. My dad is one of the toughest critics I know, and he has nothing but great things to say about [general manager] Kyle Dubas. And from the conversations I had with Kyle, I was very impressed with his professionalism and I'm excited to be playing for him and for such a first-class organization.”

Vesey is philosophical now about how his NHL tenure has played out, musing that, “They say hockey and life is about the journey and the process and I'm happy where it's taken me so far.” But there’s a sense this deal with Toronto – the least lucrative of his career to date – offers the 27-year-old a chance to prove he’s still that player who garnered so much early attention.

“I wasn't really happy with my season last year. And It was obviously a stressful time with a lot of uncertainty about what's to come ahead,” Vesey admits. “I think my third year in New York, I was having my best year as a pro. I was on pace to be at 20 goals and 20 assists and then at the end of the year, it got away from me a little bit. Maybe I was thinking too much about hitting those milestones. And then I got traded in the summer and had a tough start to the year, got hurt [early]. I’m not sure if I was looking around waiting for someone else to [step up] since I was unfamiliar with the team, but I've been putting it in my mind this summer that this year I can't do that at all. I'm going to come out with my hair on fire.”

Last season’s poor totals aside, Vesey is still a big winger (6-foot-3, 202 pounds) in his prime, and capable of playing on either side while providing some much-needed weight to the Leafs’ bottom six.

“[Toronto] thought I could add to the team and help them get over the hump, so to speak,” Vesey said. “For me personally, I'm just going to come in with a hungry mindset. I like to pride myself on scoring goals when the time's right, so hopefully I can come in and help the team with some timely goals, especially when [you need] secondary scoring [since] the top guys are obviously not going to score every night.”

Nice, i hope he comes in all vocal and ready to go. It’s his team now. Take control of your responsibility. Hold others accountable by working harder than anyone else

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

That's pretty cool

Reactions: hockeywiz542

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Do the talking on the ice Jimmy.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

I like everything that was said here, lets see if it translates on ice

Also, I think its safe to say that Dubas is a great salesman at this point

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Not only does Vesey have a connection to the Leafs through his father, he’s also close friends with former Harvard teammate Alex Kerfoot. They spent three years together in Cambridge, and played on the same line for the final two. During their final season together, Kerfoot centred Vesey’s line and they finished one-two in scoring for the Crimson.

Well, that would be a no-brainer to give them some reps together.

Be nice if they could form a 3rd. offensive line that ends up outscoring their opposition.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Well, that would be a no-brainer to give them some reps together.

Be nice if they could form a 3rd. offensive line that ends up outscoring their opposition.

Perhaps that factored into the decision to sign him. He could have instant chemistry with Kerfoot based on their history.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN and qqaz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not so sure Kerfoot will be here still when the season starts.
Dubie will do everything he can to keep Kerfoot as it is last piece left from Kadri debacle ... i think Freddy goes first TBH for a vet defender like if we can get another cheaper goaler like a ANDERSON for league min if he wants to play 1 more year

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
When the signing was first announced I thought he'd be a 13th forward, maybe in the minors. But after thinking about it for a while, I'd like to see him get a shot with Kerfoot on line 3.

It all depends on who earns what at camp. But the thought of a versatile gritty winger who can shoot makes so much sense. Vesey Kerf Simmonds. I like it.

Vesey reminds me of Joffrey Lupul, so much. And I mean that in a good way.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When the signing was first announced I thought he'd be a 13th forward, maybe in the minors. But after thinking about it for a while, I'd like to see him get a shot with Kerfoot on line 3.

It all depends on who earns what at camp. But the thought of a versatile gritty winger who can shoot makes so much sense. Vesey Kerf Simmonds. I like it.

Vesey reminds me of Joffrey Lupul, so much. And I mean that in a good way.

While he definitely is a huge quesrion mark, I think th3 best environment for him to potentially thrive in is one like thr Leafs that already has a lot of skill for him to feed off of. Just need to wait and see what happen at this point.

Like with some of the other depth signings this offseason he could potentially slide up and down the lineup depending on whose he has chemistry with

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm curious to see which one of Simmonds, Vesey or Thornton ends up on the outside looking in in the initial battle for a top nine spot. Matthews, Tavares, Kerfoot, Marner, Nylander, Hyman and Mikheyev should be the seven locks. The eighth and ninth don't seem as obvious and that hopefully can only be a good thing.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While I like the offseason moves, I'm also kind of curious how adding 3x former Buffalo Sabres - Vesey, Bogosian and Simmonds, will pan out for the Leafs. It looks weird on paper!

Reactions: robertmac43

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
You'd never guess this guys a 6-3 hockey player from his mugshot. He's got a beancounter face.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
While I like the offseason moves, I'm also kind of curious how adding 3x former Buffalo Sabres - Vesey, Bogosian and Simmonds, will pan out for the Leafs. It looks weird on paper!

On paper, I agree. But Simmonds was only a Sabre for 7 games. While the Leafs have been linked to both Vesey and Bogo in the past.

All 3 should be good in their role with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad