Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Petr Mrazek to 3 year deal, 3.8M AAV

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The leafs direct a high volume of shots towards the net with zero traffic. Easy routine saves.
That's also not true at all. Over the past two playoffs, we have generated more corsi, fenwick, shots, scoring chances, high danger chances, expected goals, actual goals, etc. than the other team, which is also clearly visible from watching those series objectively. You also seem to have missed the part where I said goalies who have played in multiple series, not just against the Leafs.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
How is the 2nd one considering “robbing” Nylander when Price is out of his crease and Nylander has zero angle to shoot at?

Ever played hockey before?

The one on Brodie wasn’t special at all either

What about the other game-saving saves there?

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
That's also not true at all. Over the past two playoffs, we have generated more corsi, fenwick, shots, scoring chances, high danger chances, expected goals, actual goals, etc. than the other team, which is also clearly visible from watching those series objectively. You also seem to have missed the part where I said goalies who have played in multiple series, not just against the Leafs.
I didn’t miss it. Columbus didn’t even make the playoffs last year so clearly we had a huge influence on that number. So I just discredited it all together. Korpisalo was at like .957 after the series with us

Furthermore Elvis played just as good as us as Korpisalo because of the way we play

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
What about the other game-saving saves there?
Yes those ones I’ll admit were amazing but if price really stole the series like everyone claims it’s really off that Campbell had a higher save % at the conclusion of round 1

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
How is the 2nd one considering “robbing” Nylander when Price is out of his crease and Nylander has zero angle to shoot at?

The only really high quality save from those tweets was the Marner one.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
The only really high quality save from those tweets was the Marner one.
And the Spezza one with the stick. But the issue is now Price bailing out his D = stealing the series.
These posters are acting like goalies never bail out D on breakdowns

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yes those ones I’ll admit were amazing but if price really stole the series like everyone claims it’s really off that Campbell had a higher save % at the conclusion of round 1

I think that % discrepancy came from that 4-0 win. Campbell outplayed him in that game.

Reactions: hoglund

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

You have look at save% combined with shots against and quality of chances against.

Ranking out of the 20 goalies with 100+ minutes in the first round:

Fewest shot against/60 of goaltenders in the first round ranking:

Campbell: 4th fewest out of 20
Price: 13th fewest out of 20

Expected goals against/60 of goaltenders in the first round ranking:

Campbell: 2nd fewest out of 20
Price: 16th fewest out of 20

The Leafs did a great job protecting Campbell and at the same time did a decent job penetrating the Habs D and forcing Price to make big saves......which he did.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I didn’t miss it. Columbus didn’t even make the playoffs last year so clearly we had a huge influence on that number. So I just discredited it all together.
Korpisalo's sample was against two of the best offensive teams in the league, and the biggest portion of his sample is actually against the cup champions, where he set the all-time playoff save record. Price played in six different series in that sample. You disregarded it because it completely dismantles your argument, just like the posted videos and pretty much every single metric that exists.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And the Spezza one with the stick. But the issue is now Price bailing out his D = stealing the series.
These posters are acting like goalies never bail out D on breakdowns

Frankly, I thought the Spezza one was a fluke on a poorly placed shot as opposed to a great save.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

With Nylander, the fact he came out and got a piece of an excellent shot going against the grain is all a part of how dialed in he was...absolutely a great save robbing Nylander of a goal on a dangerous chance.

The one on Bordie wasnt the initial stop but diving over and getting his head on the rebound to save a goal.

The way you make is sound is like the Leafs were just lobbing shots in at him despite every single stat screaming he was one of the best goalies in the first round. I wouldnt put Campbell in the top goalies despite his better save % though...he just wasnt tested enough.

Leave the "ever played hockey" ad hominem out of this. It makes your arguments look weaker.....

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Frankly, I thought the Spezza one was a fluke on a poorly placed shot as opposed to a great save.

Yeah, those ones always seem kinda flukey but why against us again? Still considered the best save of the playoffs by many.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
lol no he is not an upgrade from Freddie. Freddie handled a very large workload for several years prior to this year and played at a high level doing so. Mrazek is a backup. Campbell is a backup. Dubas showing again that he has no idea how to evaluate goalies. Freddie>Mrazek and it’s not close.

Are you still lost in terms of boards?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Has there ever been a Cup winner that didn't beat a great goalie in the playoffs?
To say that the reason why Leafs lost was bc of Price is ignoring the fact that AM and Marner choked and Keefe had no idea what he should do when under the pressure.
Price was great, I am not denying that but if the Leafs ever want to win the Cup, they need to beat goalies like Price in the playoffs. The chances of facing someone like Hutch with Sabres Defence for four rounds of playoffs is close to zero.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Getting back to topic, Andersen had been slipping a while and has a .897 save% since Jan.1st 2020. Thats dead last among all 21 keepers who have played 2500+ minutes on a good defensive team.

Time to move on.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Has there ever been a Cup winner that didn't beat a great goalie in the playoffs?
To say that the reason why Leafs lost was bc of Price is ignoring the fact that AM and Marner choked and Keefe had no idea what he should do when under the pressure.
Price was great, I am not denying that but if the Leafs ever want to win the Cup, they need to beat goalies like Price in the playoffs. The chances of facing someone like Hutch with Sabres Defence for four rounds of playoffs is close to zero.

What was weird about Price is that he all of a sudden turned it on after being crap for most of the regular season against everyone (including us).

He did that the last year in the playoffs too.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

There was nothing wrong with the shot placement - you don't try to go top cheese there and risk missing the net. Spezza could have released it a shade earlier, that's true. And there was a big element of luck, no doubt. But the impressive thing there was Price battling to even put himself back into position to make the save.

That's the genious of Price - he constantly put himself into excellent positions to make the save, making hard saves look easy. Reminded me of Belfour when he played for us and would steal us series.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What was weird about Price is that he all of a sudden turned it on after being crap for most of the regular season against everyone (including us).

He did that the last year in the playoffs too.
I think he was just healthy and well rested.
He has always been like that over the past few seasons. Just look at how Habs always start the season and how much they slowed down in Dec to March.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Korpisalo's sample was against two of the best offensive teams in the league, and the biggest portion of his sample is actually against the cup champions, where he set the all-time playoff save record. Price played in six different series in that sample. You disregarded it because it completely dismantles your argument, just like the posted videos and pretty much every single metric that exists.
3 of those 5 videos corroborate my argument. On nylander he’s outside the top of the crease. No angle. On Brodie it’s just a slap shot. On the splits save look where the defenders are. He’s reading the pass across all day. The fact that you think those strengthen the argument of price “standing on his head” tells me all I need to know

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
With Nylander, the fact he came out and got a piece of an excellent shot going against the grain is all a part of how dialed in he was...absolutely a great save robbing Nylander of a goal on a dangerous chance.

The one on Bordie wasnt the initial stop but diving over and getting his head on the rebound to save a goal.

The way you make is sound is like the Leafs were just lobbing shots in at him despite every single stat screaming he was one of the best goalies in the first round. I wouldnt put Campbell in the top goalies despite his better save % though...he just wasnt tested enough.

Leave the "ever played hockey" ad hominem out of this. It makes your arguments look weaker.....
It’s not an ad hominem. When people haven’t played there’s a lot that gets lost in translation. Some of those saves that people are claiming he “robbed” people are very obviously routine saves because he’s cutting the angles down. See the Nylander save

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
You have look at save% combined with shots against and quality of chances against.

Ranking out of the 20 goalies with 100+ minutes in the first round:

Fewest shot against/60 of goaltenders in the first round ranking:

Campbell: 4th fewest out of 20
Price: 13th fewest out of 20

Expected goals against/60 of goaltenders in the first round ranking:

Campbell: 2nd fewest out of 20
Price: 16th fewest out of 20

The Leafs did a great job protecting Campbell and at the same time did a decent job penetrating the Habs D and forcing Price to make big saves......which he did.
I’m sure a shortcut here would just be using GSAA

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
3 of those 5 videos corroborate my argument.
The videos (which are far from an exhaustive list) destroy your argument, just like literally everything else that has been provided to you. I'm also not really sure where you get this idea that good goaltending only counts if you're scrambling around and out of position.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Price was the lone reason the Habs moved on. He got his groove back for a run. Arguing against it is....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad