Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Petr Mrazek to 3 year deal, 3.8M AAV

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
The videos (which are far from an exhaustive list) destroy your argument, just like literally everything else that has been provided to you. I'm also not really sure where you get this idea that good goaltending only counts if you're scrambling around and out of position.
Maybe we have different definitions of the word routine

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
With individual performances that can elevate one team over another.

Anyone who ever played hockey would know this.
Other than NFL hockey is the sport that requires the biggest team contributions to be successful. Anyone who ever played hockey would know this

Reactions: colchar

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How is the 2nd one considering “robbing” Nylander when Price is out of his crease and Nylander has zero angle to shoot at?

Ever played hockey before?

The one on Brodie wasn’t special at all either

That Nylander curl and drag was quite a clean good look, but I'd say between Edmundson diving and forcing Nylander to take the center slot position, which Price could then anticipate and challenge the shooter, it wasn't quite the ten bell save that Price flailing with the exaggerated glove would indicate.

Reactions: Zybalto

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I’m sure a shortcut here would just be using GSAA

Im actually not a big fan of GSAA (and not that into corsi either for different reasons).

Different calculation methods lead to different results among different experts (much like various "hockey WAR" ratings)

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
That Nylander curl and drag was quite a clean good look, but I'd say between Edmundson diving and forcing Nylander to take the center slot position, which Price could then anticipate and challenge the shooter, it wasn't quite the ten bell save that Price flailing with the exaggerated glove would indicate.
Exactly. This is what I’m talking about. Montreal had a great team commitment to shut us down. Price was just 1 piece of the puzzle

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Price was the lone reason the Habs moved on. He got his groove back for a run. Arguing against it is....

Montreal's defense did a great job of protecting Price and working with him, taking away a lot of clean looks and otherwise disrupting and shunting the scoring opportunities where Price could make those predictable saves.

A good example of that would be that Game 6 OT when Rielly tried walking a couple of guys of the blueline and ended up holding holding, creating a broken play in the slot which Matthews tried a spinorama backhander near the goal line which Price stopped. A flurry of action, a shot in a high danger area heat map but bad body position for the shooter and Price was already in position with the pad down on what ended up being a weak shot. So many bodies and sticks everywhere. That's their rope a dope recipe which they took all the way to the finals.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Montreal's defense did a great job of protecting Price and working with him, taking away a lot of clean looks and otherwise disrupting and shunting the scoring opportunities where Price could make those predictable saves.

A good example of that would be that Game 6 OT when Rielly tried walking a couple of guys of the blueline and ended up holding holding, creating a broken play in the slot which Matthews tried a spinorama backhander near the goal line which Price stopped. A flurry of action, a shot in a high danger area heat map but bad body position for the shooter and Price was already in position with the pad down on what ended up being a weak shot. So many bodies and sticks everywhere. That's their rope a dope recipe which they took all the way to the finals.
Posts like this restore my faith in our fan base. It seems like too many people are brainwashed by media narratives OR only look at data and work backwards to figure out what happened

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
That's also not true at all. Over the past two playoffs, we have generated more corsi, fenwick, shots, scoring chances, high danger chances, expected goals, actual goals, etc. than the other team, which is also clearly visible from watching those series objectively. You also seem to have missed the part where I said goalies who have played in multiple series, not just against the Leafs.
Which one of these stats addresses screens/traffic/making life difficult for the goalie? None of them. So that’s a poor rebuttal

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Interesting take but in the end it relies on Price making the occasional huge save and hoping not to get too many bad bounces....it also led to the Habs being one bad bounce away from getting blown out in 5 and maybe talking about the team getting completely ripped apart and the GM most likely fired.

It certainly isn't a recipe for long-term success and doesn't work without Price in net IMO.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Interesting take but in the end it relies on Price making the occasional huge save and hoping not to get too many bad bounces....it also led to the Habs being one bad bounce away from getting blown out in 5 and maybe talking about the team getting completely ripped apart and the GM most likely fired.

It certainly isn't a recipe for long-term success and doesn't work without Price in net IMO.

Montreal played a well integrated defensive/goaltending game which obviously required Price to make the final save but put a lot of bodies and sticks and traffic control between a shooter and the goalie. I'm not saying this is a system you want to replicate for your own team or can replicate but certainly was a recipe Montreal enjoyed a lot of success with.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Montreal played a well integrated defensive/goaltending game which obviously required Price to make the final save but put a lot of bodies and sticks and traffic control between a shooter and the goalie. I'm not saying this is a system you want to replicate for your own team or can replicate but certainly was a recipe Montreal enjoyed a lot of success with.

Yea, its a tough sell though when they would probably not even have made the playoffs in full seasons....but that was mainly due to the fact they actually are an underrated defensive team that got let down by poor goalkeeping in the regular season the last couple years.

I took a break for a while but one of my lasts posts back when the Leafs were up 3-1 I think (got busy and didnt want to deal with the raging here for a while) was arguing with a Habs fan that his team was still in it and Price was certainly still able to steal the series as he had been playing dynamite despite the current hole the Habs found themselves in. I thought he looked better than he had since the last playoffs.

It gets a little tiring when so many are downplaying his steller playoffs though. (not saying you are)

Habs were pretty much the same team as the regular season except that they gave up more shots, more scoring chances in the playoffs and Price's save% went up from .901 to .930+ over the first 3 rounds.

Price was the Habs MVP and it wasnt even close.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

It isn’t but when you don’t have the high end talent it’s a strategy. Columbus played the same way

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Yea, its a tough sell though when they would probably not even have made the playoffs in full seasons....but that was mainly due to the fact they actually are an underrated defensive team that got let down by poor goalkeeping in the regular season the last couple years.

I took a break for a while but one of my lasts posts back when the Leafs were up 3-1 I think (got busy and didnt want to deal with the raging here for a while) was arguing with a Habs fan that his team was still in it and Price was certainly still able to steal the series as he had been playing dynamite despite the current hole the Habs found themselves in. I thought he looked better than he had since the last playoffs.

It gets a little tiring when so many are downplaying his steller playoffs though. (not saying you are)

Habs were pretty much the same team as the regular season except that they gave up more shots, more scoring chances in the playoffs and Price's save% went up from .901 to .930+ over the first 3 rounds.

Price was the Habs MVP and it wasnt even close.
There isn’t a single poster in this thread questioning that Price is Montreal’s MVP

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Casually watching people evaluating goalies by highlight-reel saves, which are almost always the result of a goaltending putting themselves out of position.

And thinking that pucks hitting the goalies chest are always the shooters' fault and nothing to do with good goaltending.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
There isn’t a single poster in this thread questioning that Price is Montreal’s MVP

If you thought Price's play was pedestrian, only making "routine saves" (as you put it), I think you qualify as not thinking he was Montreal's MVP.

Habs fans think he was the reason they beat the Leafs. The stats say he is the reason they beat the Leafs. Almost every article written states he led the team over the Leafs. You seem to disagree though.

Did his team MVP run to the finals only start after the first round in which the Habs team was much more competitive? Just trying to understand your mindset here.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
If you thought Price's play was pedestrian, only making "routine saves" (as you put it), I think you qualify as not thinking he was Montreal's MVP.

Habs fans think he was the reason they beat the Leafs. The stats say he is the reason they beat the Leafs. Almost every article written states he led the team over the Leafs. You seem to disagree though.

Did his team MVP run to the finals only start after the first round in which the Habs team was much more competitive? Just trying to understand your mindset here.
My post in it’s entirety said “mostly” routine saves. Yes he made a few robberies. But that’s standard for good goalies. Defence is gonna breakdown at some point and the goalie either bails them out or it’s a goal

The basis of my posts is people are trying to make it sound like Montreal played terrible and only won because of price. Their D played amazing. They had timely goals. Price was Price

I’m glad Dubas saw the same issues I did and went out and acquired players who will be crashing the net this upcoming season

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
My post in it’s entirety said “mostly” routine saves. Yes he made a few robberies. But that’s standard for good goalies. Defence is gonna breakdown at some point and the goalie either bails them out or it’s a goal

The basis of my posts is people are trying to make it sound like Montreal played terrible and only won because of price. Their D played amazing. They had timely goals. Price was Price

I’m glad Dubas saw the same issues I did and went out and acquired players who will be crashing the net this upcoming season

Kinda hear what you are saying and Dubas has certainly been moving in the direction of more of a net-front presence. Losing Tavares in the first period of the series really hurt us more than many realize too I think.

Not sure I agree that Montreals D performed that well against the Leafs though. If you were take their playoff defensive numbers and compare them to the regular season (making 32 teams total):

Shots/60 in the series would rank them 28th in the league. (Regular season they were 7th)
Scoring chances against/60 would rank them 28th in the league. (Regular season they were 10th)
High Danger chances against/60 would rank them 26th in the league. (Regular season they were 15th)
Expected Goals against/60 would rank them 31st (just slightly better than the Canucks D last year) in the league. (Regular season they were 13th)

Toronto was the one with good defensive numbers in the series. Montreal's were pretty awful as Price turned aside a ton of rubber and quality chances.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Montreal's defense did a great job with their bodies, wingspan, stick work to "traffic control" the offensive chances of Toronto, Winnipeg, Vegas and Price was always there to make the save. I feel like they were effective keeping the offensive cycles pinned to the perimeter, or else shunting offensive chances to shots along the side wall, or laying such a beating on players that by the time they got to a decent chance in the slot the opportunities were rushed or body positioning of the shooter was thrown off.

Long story short, they played a great team game and Price was the most important component, gaining more confidence as the playoffs went on. I'm not really sure why Price needs to be elevated beyond that. He was quite beatable in the early part of the series when the Leafs went up 3-1, and he blew a 3-0 and 2-0 lead in successive games.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Montreal's defense did a great job with their bodies, wingspan, stick work to "traffic control" the offensive chances of Toronto, Winnipeg, Vegas and Price was always there to make the save. I feel like they were effective keeping the offensive cycles pinned to the perimeter, or else shunting offensive chances to shots along the side wall, or laying such a beating on players that by the time they got to a decent chance in the slot the opportunities were rushed or body positioning of the shooter was thrown off.

Long story short, they played a great team game and Price was the most important component, gaining more confidence as the playoffs went on. I'm not really sure why Price needs to be elevated beyond that. He was quite beatable in the early part of the series when the Leafs went up 3-1, and he blew a 3-0 and 2-0 lead in successive games.

Like I said before, when the Leafs were up 3-1 I was actually talking Habs fans off ledges as Price was playing incredibly despite being down 3-1 and that had me really worried.

No sense in giving that much credit to a Montreal D that was giving the Leafs so many looks (the Leafs offensive numbers look very close, maybe even better than Tampas numbers against Montreal). The big difference between the Leafs and Tamapas series for Montreal is that the Bolts were getting goals in from long range, getting good bounces and Price let in a couple of bad ones, all of which didnt happen in the Leafs series.

Like Stonehands was saying earlier, Dubas is certainly moving in the direction of clogging up net front to hopefully get good bounces and better screens if we run into a hot goalie like that again in the playoffs.

Go watch literally any game from the regular season and Price looks like a completely different goalie in the playoffs. Montreal's D didnt really impress me all that much though (outside of the Jets series).

Reactions: Menzinger

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Petr Mrázek – 2021 Free Agency

July 28, 2021

Toronto Maple Leafs

Goaltender Petr Mrázek speaks with the media following his signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Reactions: Nylander88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad