Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Petr Mrazek to 3 year deal, 3.8M AAV

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Nah, Campbell played great last year, seems pretty clear that they're planning on running a tandem with no clear #1. If someone outplays the other guy by a good margin then that could change but they'll both get their chances. If Campbell plays much better then they're not giving the job to the other guy just because they're paying him more.
Agreed. Seems pretty obvious to me. Didn't we just start the 1.65mil guy over the 5mil guy in the playoffs?lol 3.8 was the going rate to get Mrazek. Campbell will be worth more than 1.65 at season's end unless he takes a big step back. This is 100% a tandem, and I'm excited for it. Never gonna feel like we're playing Hutchinson, or Sparks etc like we have in years past. Two guys who will likely push on another and give us quality goaltending

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Nah, Campbell played great last year, seems pretty clear that they're planning on running a tandem with no clear #1. If someone outplays the other guy by a good margin then that could change but they'll both get their chances. If Campbell plays much better then they're not giving the job to the other guy just because they're paying him more.
Agreed. Seems pretty obvious to me. Didn't we just start the 1.65mil guy over the 5mil guy in the playoffs?lol 3.8 was the going rate to get Mrazek. Campbell will be worth more than 1.65 at season's end unless he takes a big step back. This is 100% a tandem, and I'm excited for it. Never gonna feel like we're playing Hutchinson, or Sparks etc like we have in years past. Two guys who will likely push on another and give us quality goaltending

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I did see an interesting Dubas comment where they said Mrazek understood his role and his relationship with Campbell wouldn’t be destructive. That tells me a lot about last season.

team baby, team.

Reactions: al secord

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yup. I'd bet on him at this point and I really hope we lock him up now. If we don't and he plays great again this season and we can't afford to resign him, that would be just terrible.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I did see an interesting Dubas comment where they said Mrazek understood his role and his relationship with Campbell wouldn’t be destructive. That tells me a lot about last season.

team baby, team.

Interesting. Would like to see the quote.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yup. I'd bet on him at this point and I really hope we lock him up now. If we don't and he plays great again this season and we can't afford to resign him, that would be just terrible.

I wouldn't mind this idea .. It's risky either way but if they could extend him at a reasonable to low price for 3-4 years, that a could secure the goaltending position for a few years at least.

What's your price though? I'd maybe go $3 mill AAV over 4 years. Gives the Leafs $6.8 mill locked up in goaltending, which is a 1A/B situation which equates to the value of a solid starter.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

team baby, team.

Are we sure that's the case? Freddie did parachute into a goalie tandem environment, so he might be okay with it even if feelings were hurt that he lost his job whilst injured.

What I want to know is, knowing that Campbell will need a new contract, will Toronto play Mrazek in key situations and set him up to look like more of the 1A so they can pay Campbell 1B money, or do they have enough money to bring Campbell back even if he's clearly the 1A?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't mind this idea .. It's risky either way but if they could extend him at a reasonable to low price for 3-4 years, that a could secure the goaltending position for a few years at least.

What's your price though? I'd maybe go $3 mill AAV over 4 years. Gives the Leafs $6.8 mill locked up in goaltending, which is a 1A/B situation which equates to the value of a solid starter.

You would have to think locking Campbell up to the same Mrazek deal would be both equitable between the partners, though I'm not sure that would look so hot if Jack flames out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't know enough about goalie salaries so I'd have to do some research to answer that and I'm far too lazy for that. :)

Off the top of my head though, your numbers sound good and my first thought is that I would do that deal. I might even go a bit higher, not much though. Extend him or not, it's always a gamble either way but I would choose to gamble that he continues his fine play for us. Not sure how easy it is to find tandem goalies either if we were to lose him, I'd lock him up now and for me, it would be a top priority.

Are we sure that's the case? Freddie did parachute into a goalie tandem environment, so he might be okay with it even if feelings were hurt that he lost his job whilst injured.

What I want to know is, knowing that Campbell will need a new contract, will Toronto play Mrazek in key situations and set him up to look like more of the 1A so they can pay Campbell 1B money, or do they have enough money to bring Campbell back even if he's clearly the 1A?

That would be hard to do if Campbell outplays him, don't see that happening. Just lock him up now, problem solved.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I doubt Andersen losing his job to Gibson was an overly positive experience for him. I'm pretty sure Andersen is a goalie who likes to get every possible game he can get, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was an issue for him last year

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
All reports said Freddy was open to sharing the crease with Campbell.

some guy on a forum randomly quotes Dubas without actually even quoting him and suddenly that has become fact that freddy was somehow destructive?

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Dubas did say Mrazek was an experienced tandem goalie and wouldn't be a destructive partner for jack. But that doesn't mean he thinks Freddy was a destructive partner. Andy was just a pricier contract.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad