Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign D Travis Dermott [1 year, 874K]

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Travis Dermott is actually a damn good DMan to have as your 5th or 6th guy. So I call bullshit if anyone says Leafs lack depth on D. HOw many "Contenders" have better guys than that on their 3rd pair? HIs defensive numbers are pretty impressive. I liked what I saw when he had increased time due to injuries last year.
I agree, he’s an amazing option on the bottom pairing. He can easily slot in the top 4 if needed

And he’s only 24... patience, he has all the tools. He can take the next step at any given moment

Reactions: Northernguy10

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Move a 23 year-old who looked like our best D with Rielly, Muzzin out for very little in return? No thanks.

I mean, it's a pretty low bar... competing against Ceci and Barrie essentially... lol... I'm not disagreeing in any way...

and yes, Leafs fans are incredibly impatient.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
And people here are also way too quick to want to dump good young players for no reason. It's actually incredibly risky to move him at a relative low value in a trade given his age and his overall numbers. Not sure that should be done with a Young DMan.
Lehtonen will be UFA next year. Bogosian is on a 1 year deal. Things can change fast next year.
One thing that is great about Dubas is, he realizes moving a talented young player would be a terible idea and won't do it.

Move a 23 year-old who looked like our best D with Rielly, Muzzin out for very little in return? No thanks.

disagree he has never looked like our best d. Sandin is already better. Not impatient at all I liked dermott until better options presented themselves that is what happens in all organizations. At current salary he is great to have once he wants more get depth every year for low salary to be 7th d.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
disagree he has never looked like our best d. Sandin is already better. Not impatient at all I liked dermott until better options presented themselves that is what happens in all organizations. At current salary he is great to have once he wants more get depth every year for low salary to be 7th d.
Sandin will be better almost assuredly but last season Dermott was better on the ice.
Sandin was young and a rookie and it showed at times and needed to be sheltered, while dermott was getting tougher minutes.

Reactions: Buds17

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sandin will be better almost assuredly but last season Dermott was better on the ice.
Sandin was young and a rookie and it showed at times and needed to be sheltered, while dermott was getting tougher minutes.

dermott still needs sheltering too. He may have been playing tougher mins but was still sheltered with d partner. The difference (if any) in current ability is not great enough that we should be not playing sandin over dermott. Imo sandin is already ahead but even if he isn’t the gap is close enough sandin can play and progress too and in short time cover dermott absence.

I don’t have a problem with dermott but he is the exact type of player you let go when they are going to cost too much and right now he is cost effective but after this year he isn’t taking under $1m again

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Without a doubt he was our best D this past year when Rielly and Muzion were out.

Reactions: Northernguy10

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
dermott still needs sheltering too. He may have been playing tougher mins but was still sheltered with d partner. The difference (if any) in current ability is not great enough that we should be not playing sandin over dermott. Imo sandin is already ahead but even if he isn’t the gap is close enough sandin can play and progress too and in short time cover dermott absence.

I don’t have a problem with dermott but he is the exact type of player you let go when they are going to cost too much and right now he is cost effective but after this year he isn’t taking under $1m again
I agree with you with the exception of playing sandin over dermott until he earns it.
Other than that we are sympatico.
However dermott could also take another step this season which will make it a little bit more difficult for sandin to overtake him unless sandin makes a huge step in skill and strength

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Irrelevant argument.
Fans need to realize the longest serving Leaf player has been here 6 years. And giving-up on early players players so fast is agreat recipe to ensure there's no cups anytime soon.

It's a wee bit of exaggeration to blame the team's fans for the departures of every Leafs' player for the past 53 years. Okay, I confess I did trade Kessel to Pittsburgh but I did make up for it by selling off Kappy for some sparkly lottery tickets.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
It's a wee bit of exaggeration to blame the team's fans for the departures of every Leafs' player for the past 53 years. Okay, I confess I did trade Kessel to Pittsburgh but I did make up for it by selling off Kappy for some sparkly lottery tickets.
I never blamed the fans for that. I just fidn it funny I see suggestion sto dump every great young player Leafs have.
Kapanen trade looks fantastic for the Leafs FYI.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
It's really sad when Leafs' fans have so little patience with our young talent like Kapanen that they celebrate trading them for lottery tickets. I guess Leafs' fans don't understand the concept of patience.

|Lottery tickets". LOL. Amirov is not a lottery ticket.
And celebrating trading Kapanen is definitely different than trying to trade Nylander or Marner,

Kapanen trade was the best return of the offseason of any trade.

If funny how you are trying to use my "Patience" remark about trading a 3rd liner. I was always talking about elite young talent. Kapanen is not that.

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
|Lottery tickets". LOL. Amirov is not a lottery ticket.

He absolutely is. He's a maybe with higher odds of payout. Kapanen is a fully functional NHL player who will likely play another 10 seasons in the league. Amirov is a prospect from a draft position where more than 60% of the players chosen are lesser players than Kapanen.

|And celebrating trading Kapanen is definitely different than trying to trade Nylander or Marner,

If you've never mused over trading Marner, congratulations on breaking with the orthodoxy of the cabal of posters I assumed you come from.

|I was always talking about elite young talent. Kapanen is not that.

So you're suggesting that Dermott is an elite young player then because that's who you were actually talking about. Who are these theoretical elite young talent you were lamenting in the original ridiculous statement blaming fans? In the past 30 or so years, who are all these elite young talent who were traded away? And why blame the fans? The fans don't make trades.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Travis Dermott is an interesting player, he's got the skill, he's got the physicality, it all just needs to come together. We hoped to see it happen last season, especially when Muzzin went down with an injury but it never clicked.

It'll be interesting to see Dermott along with others, Sandin, Holl, Lethonen, etc with much more added competition on the blueline. Hopefully it brings the best out of everyone!

Reactions: Fogelhund

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Travis Dermott is an interesting player, he's got the skill, he's got the physicality, it all just needs to come together. We hoped to see it happen last season, especially when Muzzin went down with an injury but it never clicked.

It'll be interesting to see Dermott along with others, Sandin, Holl, Lethonen, etc with much more added competition on the blueline. Hopefully it brings the best out of everyone!

lehtonen is very interesting, scouts seem to love him and think he’ll be a leaf. Also I highly doubt he’d sign to come over and be a ahl dman with all the uncertainty in the world today moving to North America for a maybe fight out it out chance at playing with the leafs? I’m not sure I think he has the lead on 3rd pair ld at least to begin the season and until he shows he’s not up to it (if he isn’t up to it)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
lehtonen is very interesting, scouts seem to love him and think he’ll be a leaf. Also I highly doubt he’d sign to come over and be a ahl dman with all the uncertainty in the world today moving to North America for a maybe fight out it out chance at playing with the leafs? I’m not sure I think he has the lead on 3rd pair ld at least to begin the season and until he shows he’s not up to it (if he isn’t up to it)

Lehtonen has played RD quite successfully, and it's probable that his best chance is there.. we shall see.

Reactions: Walshy7

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Bogosian and Lehtonen are pending UFAs. There is the potential for the expansion draft to affect the blueline as well. No guarantee just yet that Dermott and Sandin will be competing for the one spot.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Bogosian and Lehtonen are pending UFAs. There is the potential for the expansion draft to affect the blueline as well. No guarantee just yet that Dermott and Sandin will be competing for the one spot.
Lehtonen needs to get plenty of chances due to that.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
With a flat cap Kyle gonna have a big problem if Lehtonen proves he is worth double or triple his current salary as a UFA. May need to throw Andersen overboard in order to free up cap space for next year.

Eh, I don't worry about the cap stuff. I hear all the time guys are leaving because of it and they never do (Guys Leafs actually want to keep).
I hope he plays fantastic and asks for huge $$ as a result.
Andersen does need to be kicked to the curb no question.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With a flat cap Kyle gonna have a big problem if Lehtonen proves he is worth double or triple his current salary as a UFA. May need to throw Andersen overboard in order to free up cap space for next year.

The only bright spot for us, will be nobody else will have cap room either. It's Campbell/Dell's opportunity, to prove that they can replace Andersen at this point... would be a big win Cap wise, if they can. But, a bunch of players are going to be taking short term, discount contracts next year, if there are no fans in the stands this year, and there is a flat cap, or worse.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad