Confirmed with Link: TOR re-sign D Travis Dermott [1 year, 874K]

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Every year it's the same thing, Leafs are screwed, so and so is leaving and everything turns out ok... Enjoy hockey this year and hope Lehtonen has a monster year and wants a big payday.
The only guys who leave are guys Leafs don't offer deals to. JVR after a career year didn't even receive an offer,. Leafs did not want to give a slow, bad defensive late 20's forward big $$ and it looks wise.
Rielly they will want to keep. Andersen, probably not unless he has a huge year.

Leafs will always be able to get quality vets to take less $ to play on their team anyways. Bogosian, Thornton, Simmonds, Spezza, Vesey, ETC all could have made more elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Its not your fault

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Lehtonen needs to get plenty of chances due to that.

I'd absolutely expect him to be given opportunities. Him being a bit older than some of those signings the team has made in the past should mean he's ready for that much. Conversely of course is that decision time on a new contract - with the potential for other teams to enter the bidding as well - comes that much sooner. Looking forward to seeing where he ultimately settles in.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No one who ever talks about "Taxes" seems to have any idea of how they work. Auston Matthews is making a killing with his contract. He won't get more anywhere else/
Well some of us do, as a CPA, and with a kid dealing with his pro tax situation it is a fact of life in today's CBA NHL ... Matty has ten of millions of dollars to hire da top tax lawyers in US/Canada so I guarantee you he has a rock solid plan to minimize his tax situation ... but this is not da reality for MOST players who just can't afford da costs

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Well some of us do, as a CPA, and with a kid dealing with his pro tax situation it is a fact of life in today's CBA NHL ... Matty has ten of millions of dollars to hire da top tax lawyers in US/Canada so I guarantee you he has a rock solid plan to minimize his tax situation ... but this is not da reality for MOST players who just can't afford da costs
All players have the $ to get top tax guys.
I was referirng to the fact Matthews makes almost nothin in actual salary and all his bonuses $ is paid-out in the offseason and doesn't pay Canadian taxes on it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All players have the $ to get top tax guys.
I was referirng to the fact Matthews makes almost nothin in actual salary and all his bonuses $ is paid-out in the offseason and doesn't pay Canadian taxes on it.
Get ur facts right ... not every player can afford da $1,800+ an hourly rate for a select few people who know how to execute then and and ten or hundreds of thousands in tax plans for complicated tax loss carryforward deferral plans
Also Matty like every MLSE player gets his taxes deducted/withheld at source by CRA and then has to work with CRA on his tax submittal approved to get some or all of his $$$ back
You clearly have ZERO idea what actually goes on whereas I have personally done it for my kid recently

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Get ur facts right ... not every player can afford da $1,800+ an hourly rate for a select few people who know how to execute then and and ten or hundreds of thousands in tax plans for complicated tax loss carryforward deferral plans
Also Matty like every MLSE player gets his taxes deducted/withheld at source by CRA and then has to work with CRA on his tax submittal approved to get some or all of his $$$ back
You clearly have ZERO idea what actually goes on whereas I have personally done it for my kid recently

The NHL minimum is 700K...And anyways those players aren't even important. The "Tax" arguments always come-up with high profile players making millions.
People throw out "Tax" arguments without even knowing any details.
Matthews has been paid 30.4 million in BONUSES the last two July 1sts. They are severely taxed differently than his 700K salary.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The NHL minimum is 700K...And anyways those players aren't even important. The "Tax" arguments always come-up with high profile players making millions.
People throw out "Tax" arguments without even knowing any details.
Matthews has been paid 30.4 million in BONUSES the last two July 1sts. They are severely taxed differently than his 700K salary.
Under our tax code income can include salary, commission or bonuses. Only thing that is taxed differently (lower) is dividends/stock options from capital or capital gains. Unless our tax code was recently changed it does not make a hill of beans difference from a tax perspective if it is bonuses or salary. People that keep this MYTH going are likely same ones who think COVID does not exist. And Matty clearly has enough money to buy tax loss corporations to shelter and/or defer his income from tax for a long long time. But those guys are da rare few.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Under our tax code income can include salary, commission or bonuses. Only thing that is taxed differently (lower) is dividends/stock options from capital or capital gains. Unless our tax code was recently changed it does not make a hill of beans difference from a tax perspective if it is bonuses or salary. People that keep this MYTH going are likely same ones who think COVID does not exist. And Matty clearly has enough money to buy tax loss corporations to shelter and/or defer his income from tax for a long long time. But those guys are da rare few.
Under our tax code the date of receiving that pay is very important.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Under our tax code the date of receiving that pay is very important.
Sure it is calculated on an December annual year end basis unless it is filtered through a corporation with a different year end ... but bottom line the CRA withholds your pay whether it is a bonus or salary as stipulated under the Canadian tax code ... then you present your tax plan to them for approval ... in most very high end tax cases there is typically a meeting between tax lawyers representing each entity to discuss and review each series of transactions under da plan and things can worked out as appropriate ... these plans/transactions are extremely complicated and even your normal CPA or lawyer is in way over his head

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
How much would a player making 1 million or less actually bring home? By the time they pay taxes, agents, escrow, salary deferment can’t be really that much left. Could be traded anywhere in North America, the wear and tear on your body, and all the travel, it doesn’t really seem as lucrative as I once thought.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
How much would a player making 1 million or less actually bring home? By the time they pay taxes, agents, escrow, salary deferment can’t be really that much left. Could be traded anywhere in North America, the wear and tear on your body, and all the travel, it doesn’t really seem as lucrative as I once thought.

For this season, 45-50% tax, 3% agent, 20% escrow, 10% deferred, I'd estimate their take home is ~350k, plus three additional deferred payments of ~25k before tax.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
I have this unwavering feeling that Dermott is going to be picked up by Seattle, at the expansion draft. He's young and still maturing, has the potential to reach top4 caliber, and is at the worst a solid bottom 6 defender.
He's a good roster piece for any team and i hope that this year he improves even further.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
For this season, 45-50% tax, 3% agent, 20% escrow, 10% deferred, I'd estimate their take home is ~350k, plus three additional deferred payments of ~25k before tax.

wow that is so little (relatively speaking), what would a player get playing in khl or shl? At that low take home it may actually make sense for players to move to Sweden or Russia that are earning~$1m or less.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
wow that is so little (relatively speaking), what would a player get playing in khl or shl? At that low take home it may actually make sense for players to move to Sweden or Russia that are earning~$1m or less.

I don't know the tax/deduction situations in those leagues, but Nordic countries are pretty heavily taxed as well. I would guess either the KHL or NLA have the highest relative take home pay.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't know the tax/deduction situations in those leagues, but Nordic countries are pretty heavily taxed as well. I would guess either the KHL or NLA have the highest relative take home pay.

yeah I wonder what joe Thornton take home would be in Switzerland after taxes and converted to US dollars. If he played a full season there. Take home may be similar

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dermott will be on the bottom pairing fighting for a spot with Lehtonen. Something like this.

RIELLY BRODIE
MUZZIN HOLL
LEHTONEN BOGO
DERMOTT

I suspect both Sandin and Liljegren will be playing for the Marlies on the top pairing and get the call up for the playoffs.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Thank you, so there’s probably not as many millionaire players as I thought there was. They’d have to have a contract of well over 3 million to get a million bring home.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Lehtonen was the best defense man in Europe. At some point he supplants Holl.

Reilly Brodie
Muzzin Lehtonen
Dermott Holl
BOGO (Sandin)

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Lehtonen was the best defense man in Europe. At some point he supplants Holl.

Reilly Brodie
Muzzin Lehtonen
Dermott Holl
BOGO (Sandin)

Whilst i do have faith that Lehtonen will be a good addition to our roster, it remains to be seen if he can surpass, as the season goes by, TD in the pecking order AND if he can play on the right side effectively. I am more inclined, at this point, to lean towards the first one and be cautious about the latter.
Training camp and on ice performance will tell which is which.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I've been a fan of Dermott's since before we drafted him. Unlike many others I still believe he is going to be a valuable top 4 defenceman in the league. My only concern is that it might not be with us. I hope he gets a fair opportunity with Muzzin on the second pair as I believe they'd be a solid shut down tandem. In my opinion Dermott just needs the reps to take it to the next level. He's fast, quick, can handle the heavy going and the rest of his skills translate well also. Yes he has made mistakes with his decision making but breaking in on a relatively weak defence corps over the last 2 or 3 years isn't easy. I hope we get to a solid top 6 one day so that prospects have the luxury of breaking in properly. They have a quantity of 4th to 8th (for now) defence man which is great depth but I hope they don't spend most of the year plugging them in and out of the line up to the point where no one gets a solid opportunity to "settle in" so to speak. The expansion draft is looming and we need to figure out what we have before losing a promising D man.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I've been a fan of Dermott's since before we drafted him. Unlike many others I still believe he is going to be a valuable top 4 defenceman in the league. My only concern is that it might not be with us. I hope he gets a fair opportunity with Muzzin on the second pair as I believe they'd be a solid shut down tandem. In my opinion Dermott just needs the reps to take it to the next level. He's fast, quick, can handle the heavy going and the rest of his skills translate well also. Yes he has made mistakes with his decision making but breaking in on a relatively weak defence corps over the last 2 or 3 years isn't easy. I hope we get to a solid top 6 one day so that prospects have the luxury of breaking in properly. They have a quantity of 4th to 8th (for now) defence man which is great depth but I hope they don't spend most of the year plugging them in and out of the line up to the point where no one gets a solid opportunity to "settle in" so to speak. The expansion draft is looming and we need to figure out what we have before losing a promising D man.
Whether it is learnings from Bogo or Muzzy he will have a great development year maybe rotating between pairs. Da thing everyone forgets about Dermy is he can fly too. Outside of Rielly and Kerfoot he is probably our 3rd best skater for speed. I think Willy is a better overall skater laterally but straight on speed Dermy is right there. But I have not seen enough of Lehtonen play except a little on da big ice and he is a very good lateral skater too but in NHL pure speed counts on a smaller ice surface so we will see - same issues as Sandin I think. I think it is a much better chance for Lehtonen to knock off Holl who could be our weakest link on defense this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad